Thoughts on this for my first setup (cold water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave.E

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking into picking up my first set of equipment for a long time. I am thinking that the following could be good and will fit my broke student budget. Any input would be much appreciated!

HOG D1 COLD Single Tank Regulator Package
- D1 COLD first stage
- 2xD1 Second Stage
- Hoses and accessories
SPG only, on 22" HP hose
Aluminum backplate
Diverite Voyager EXP OR HOG 32lb Single Tank Wing
Basic Harness
Some kind of shears

Dave

Last edited:
If your doing cold water I'd suggest going with a SS backplate .It will take some weight off of your waist and distribute it a little better.I got a Hollis hrness & Diverite wing , I'm very happy with both. HOG regs ?? Some love'm some dont(but I dont think thats so much from bad experiences as much as brand preference)

+1 on the SS BP unless you are thinking air travel weight considerations. I have the HOG 32# on a DSS SS BP and really like it! Add in a Trilobyte and all is good. Lots of toys later......

Thanks for the input! I will think about the weight. I guess it just depends if I am planning on traveling with it. As for the HOG regs I have read lots of great reviews and two shops in my area service/sell them. I am just a little nervous that service will be hard to find if anything goes wrong when travelling.

I travel with a SS backplate. Not really much of a problem. It's only 3 pounds more than aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is the set up the GF and I use and have been very happy.

We have only traveled twice and both times taken our stuff. Yes the SS plate is a little heavier for travel but depending on what thickness wet suit you wear you might not need weight. We have use our 7mm (since it is what we have and our drysuits) when we went to HI. Between the salt water and AL tanks I have to wear about 10lb weight. If I am in fresh water with my steel tanks I do not need weight.

Thanks for the input! I will think about the weight. I guess it just depends if I am planning on traveling with it. As for the HOG regs I have read lots of great reviews and two shops in my area service/sell them. I am just a little nervous that service will be hard to find if anything goes wrong when travelling.

Not if you buy a service kit to take with you. You can do that. More and more dealers are coming on line and there are techs all over the world who can work on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom