Thoughts on the future of Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am VERY aware that its not the US and Europe and I do think they should figure their own way to run it democratic (as thats what all the fuss was about in the first place), but Im still egoistic enough to think of how itll affect my diving :p
It just seem a bit backwards to first want democracy and then deny candidates to run for president based on their gender or religion, consider they ARE all natives..

I like being able to go to Egypt and relax in the warm weather and dive with the nice fishies and corals you know..

I like being able to go to Egypt and relax in the warm weather and dive with the nice fishies and corals you know..

Noted, and I hereby grant you a CONSTITUTIONAL right of diving with the nice fishies and corals. However, if you ever decided to do wrecks, you'll need an amendment. It's a strict country you know :D

It would be extremely sad to see religion-based legislation that would seriously impact tourism. As I recall from my reading before our 2009 trip, something like 80% of Egypt's GDP is tourism-based. The blow to the overall economy of the country from decisions like requiring burqas would be incalculable. I certainly would never go back.

The Islamic parties have their programs published, and they were crystal clear that they're going for Sharia. None of them claimed otherwise. 71% of the first round voted for them, although they had all other flavors on the table (secular, liberal, nationalist, etc...).

Now democracy is to accept what voters went for.

Well, I hope the people who voted were thinking about economic impact, but somehow, I suspect that, like in our country, too many people voted without a full understanding of the issues and the implications.

The Islamic parties have their programs published, and they were crystal clear that they're going for Sharia. None of them claimed otherwise. 71% of the first round voted for them, although they had all other flavors on the table (secular, liberal, nationalist, etc...).

Now democracy is to accept what voters went for.
When democracy began in America, the constitution established rights to protect citizens from what one of the founding fathers called "the tyranny of the majority." Many laws passed by majority votes have been overturned because they violated those rights.

Show a country where the majority of the voters really understand the issues. (And amongst them show a country where the politicians don't lie so the people know the truth about the issues...)
I try to understand the Egyptian people. It's nice to hear about the income from the tourism but in the everday life of an ordinary people it means they see millions of foreigners who have money to travel there from another continents with expensive camera, scuba equipment, clothes while the locals work a lot and can't afford a visit to their family 200 km away. Certainly they don't feel it's fair.

Show a country where the majority of the voters really understand the issues. (And amongst them show a country where the politicians don't lie so the people know the truth about the issues...)
I try to understand the Egyptian people. It's nice to hear about the income from the tourism but in the everday life of an ordinary people it means they see millions of foreigners who have money to travel there from another continents with expensive camera, scuba equipment, clothes while the locals work a lot and can't afford a visit to their family 200 km away. Certainly they don't feel it's fair.
How much better willthey feel when they no longer see those tourists, and how will that help their own ability to travel?

No, in my opinion they think maybe a different approach to tourism could help. The corruption led to the disappearing of much income of the tourism, and a new government would work better. Many people aren't happy with the actual situation and they vote on new parties and new ideas. (Or old ones like Sharia.) I live thousands of kilometers away, I can't say what they need to do. If they make a bad decision it's their fault, but that's freedom. My cheap dive trips aren't important issue for an Egyptian.
I respect all nations own freedom and I know it's hard to tell which will the good for them and us as well. I see the crisis in my country and remember what our governments said about "prospering" and "growth". I'm really "happy" when a well paid foreign expert from the Wall street know how to solve all of our problems with raising taxes...

(And amongst them show a country where the politicians don't lie so the people know the truth about the issues...)

That's it. Islamic parties didn't lie about it (my previous post), yet people chose them. BTW, among the people who chose Islamic representatives were those working in tourism in places like Hurghada, Safaga, Marsa Alam and Luxor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom