Thoughts on the future of Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In the last couple of months, a frequent subject of discussion around the beer table after work has been the potential effect of the current ongoing political transition on us, that is to say, the foreign dive staff in Sharm El Sheikh. I've spoken to people from a number of different centres, including several Egyptian staff, and each, at least privately, is worried about what the future will bring. I assume that the situation is roughly the same in other Red Sea locations - word from Dahab, at least, sounds similar, but I can only really speak for the situation here in the relatively quiet shores of Sharm El Sheikh. At this time, I would value all sensible opinions, especially the feelings of those who live outside Egypt with regards to potential holidays here.

So (be warned, long and waffly, as always!):

As we enter the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, I find myself wondering what the future will bring to those of us still hanging on in Sharm El Sheikh - indeed, if there is any future at all for the dive industry in Egypt.

Okay - for sure, it's not going to end forever, but next year the Red Sea could be a different place to go diving compared with the years prior to the January Revolution. At the moment, tourism is still so low that the reefs are a sheer delight to dive on, certainly in comparison with the last two years that I have been working here - but if tourism continues to remain low through the next few months, many of the foreign staff who are still here will be forced to leave the country - and probably for good.

My fear is that fighting will return to streets of Cairo in the weeks following Ramadan, which has traditionally represented a lull in hostilities even during more international conflicts. Of course, Egypt has many more things to worry about apart from the dive industry specifically; chief of which is who is actually going to run the country after the promised elections - when they get around to having them - but since this blog is on a dive forum I'm not going to cover every political nuance of the protests that have continued since the government was toppled earlier this year, but rather as the situation specifically affects the foreign dive staff working in the Red Sea.

In a way, we got lucky during the January revolution. The time of year in which it happened is the dead season for dive tourism. It actually gets pretty chilly here during the winter months and most people don't have a lot of spare cash after the christmas holidays, so we find ourselves with a lot of days off, compensated for by the fact that a lot of dive staff actually take long holidays at this time of year to visit friends and family back home, wherever that is, so the meagre work keeps those few of us hardier folk who stick around financially solvent enough able to cover the cost of the Sakara.

But really - the winter months cover exactly that - costs - and many dive centres rely on the high season during September and October (and the busy christmas and New Year period) to keep everything ticking over until business picks up again in the weeks leading up to Easter. There is a steady trickle of custom, and a big influx of Scandinavians in the middle of their winter, which is nice if you have a share in the Scandinavian market, but we have no way of knowing who will turn up this year. The general consensus is that we will have a quiet high season, perhaps a return to the levels Sharm saw 5 years ago, as the owner of my dive centre speculated.

The big problem is that if we see the sort of fighting in Cairo that prompted the complete termination of most European flights (save certain scheduled international flights and some charters from the UK) until March or April this year, and this time it happens during September, when the Egyptian elections were supposed to be held, and we miss out on all that business as a result, then that's it for most of us. Some long term sharm dive instructor residents have property and investments here and as a result will be able to survive a potential 6 month lack of income, but most of us can't afford to last more than a couple of months, and even if people do manage to tough it out - what then?

In recent weeks there have been violent clashes in Cairo and Alexandria, with live ammunition being fired into the air, tear gas being used to disperse crowds of angry protesters, tanks and razorwire brought in to section off certain parts of the surrounding area. Groups of people suspected of being army regulars in plain clothes appear to have been sent in amongst the protesters to deliberately start fights. Similar scenes were witnessed in Egypt earlier this year, but back then it was the People vs. Mubarak and his secret police, and the army sort of stuck in the middle and didn't really do much until it was time to take over, but this time around the protests are the People vs. The Army, and this represents a whole other kettle of fish if the fighting starts. To add fuel to the kindling, the main religious party, after remaining relatively quiet so far, has finally thrown its not inconsiderbale weight behind their own protest movement, and the demonstrations are becoming more heated.

The over-riding calls are for the prosecution of Mr. Mubarak - the former president of Egypt - and democratic elections, but people want them now, not later after special committees have been formed to oversee their planning. The prosecution of the former president, who is actually starting to look like a halfway decent guy in comparison to other regional leaders who have put down their own revolutions with extreme malice and a lot of bloodshed, is about to commence, possibly, next week, if he's well enough. The elections - well - they've been postponed. This action in itself is enough to be viewed by the people as a promise broken by the military leaders of the country, and may well spark angry protests.

I know that Ramadan should be a time of spiritual reflection and for the devout, perhaps it is, but practically speaking, what it means in Egypt is a lot of very angry people who can't eat, drink, smoke, or even get much sleep, for what this year, in the summer time, will be a lot of daylight hours in 50 degree heat. I mean no disrepect to the faithful, that's just a purely objective description of life in Sharm during Ramadan. It's... hmmm... trying. An Egyptian colleague of mine who is himself a very devout muslim, agrees. I asked him what he thought might happen and he took the view that the month itself would probably be quiet but the week after the Eid al-Fitr festival at the end of Ramadan, falling as it will just before the elections were scheduled to occur, does indeed have the potential to bring heightened passions to the demonstrations in Tahrier Square, the focal point of the Revolution.

Should this happen, and the flights don't arrive, we're screwed. Simple. Many people are treating this like a metaphorical elephant in the room, but it's an elephant that people are starting to take notice of, and wonder if it should, in fact, be in the room, and what it potentially might do to the walls if it decides it wishes to leave. A few are inclined to believe that nothing will ever happen, but some of them said that before the January protests. Probably a lot of people thought Libya would be all over in a few days and sorry, but Egypt is faced with the real possibility of civil war.

Maybe nothing will happen and we'll resume business as usual - but herein lies a secondary dilemma. Staff are leaving. Even the big centres have suffered - several have had very tough seasons so far and these are big names, not small hotel dive centres. Staff - both Egyptian and foreign - have inevitably been forced into departure through a lack of work and therefore income. I'm seeing a few of the old-timers packing up because it's just not the same here any more... and no new staff are arriving. New work permits are not being issued; you can't get a job without a work permit and you can't get a work permit without a job, and nobody knows if there even will be any more jobs in a few month's time. The dilemma therefore is that if work does indeed pick up in September, there won't be enough staff to cover the workload - and that would be regardless of nationality.

I am in the process of moving apartments because I can no longer afford to keep this place and nobody to fill the empty room, and my new estate agent has offered me a three month contract at a very significant discount on the normal rent. She did offer me six months at a slightly different rate, but I said that just three would be fine for now; some of us may not be so worried about the whole thing as others, but for sure nobody is making any long-term commitments to staying here.

Thanks for listening,

C.

Everybody is worried!
The increasing violence in the streets of Cairo threatens to change the peaceful revolution into a violent one. These pictures are all over Europe in the primetime news and are extensively covered by the print media. Many potential tourists who have thought (again) to visit Egypt are scared away for good. The hope for a return to a more or less normal business situation during the high season has already been crushed and the survival of many divecenters is at stake. Many jobs held by Egyptians will be destroyed in the process and the overall mood will therefore not improve. The damage of the dive industry might mean less foreigners - but it surely will mean less Egyptians filling tanks, driving jeeps, steering boats, guiding groups. It will mean less occupancy in the hotels and in association less income for the bazaars, the supermarkets, the local tour operators and their guides. The whole tourism economy will suffer and thousands will loose their jobs! That are thousands mor that will fill the streets in anger because they expected (foolishly) that kicking Mubarak out would improve their lifes immediately. If you tear down a house, first you have a pile of rubble! It takes a long time to build a better house. As the german newsmagazine SPIEGEL already wrote in February: "There will be problems when the protesters realize that you can not eat democracy!"
The airlines might continue to divert their planes to other, now more popular destinations even after October, as they have done during the last 6 months. European travel agents might reduce the number of hotels and divecenters in the program and we are on a downward spiral...

It was easy for all factions to be against something (Mubarak), it proves way more difficult to agree between all the multifaceted factions what should follow and how to implement it. Some want elections as early as possible - others want them later to improve the infrastructure of their respective party. Some want a secular state - others want an fundamentalist islamic nation. Which btw. would be the end of all tourism in Egypt, as well as for cinemas, discos, free internet, free speech, free media etc.. It would be the end of Egypts way to become a democracy. Do Egyptians want to live in a Orwellian state like Iran, where "religious police" flogs women on the street if they don´t dress "appropriate"? Where women can´t drive cars (like in SA), where people are stoned or beheaded? I simply can not believe that!

So, everybody is worried!
If the main season is a desaster, which I fear it will be, looking at the current booking situation, the foreigners will be gone, a lot of Egyptians will be out of a job, hotels and divecenters will close, unemployment will rise - and more disillusioned people will be on the streets. Civil war in Egypt? I have never thought this possible. I´m not so sure anymore! If it comes to that, some might wish those 18 days had never happened...

The Chinese have a curse: "May you live in interesting times".
Times are surely interesting in Egypt right now...

Some want a secular state - others want an fundamentalist islamic nation. Which btw. would be the end of all tourism in Egypt, as well as for cinemas, discos, free internet, free speech, free media etc.. It would be the end of Egypts way to become a democracy.
This is simply not true. At all.

Do Egyptians want to live in a Orwellian state like Iran, where "religious police" flogs women on the street if they don´t dress "appropriate"? Where women can´t drive cars (like in SA), where people are stoned or beheaded? I simply can not believe that!
The concept (Islam) is simply far away from the method of application (some practices in other countries). However, if people in these countries are happy with what they have, no one has the right to interfere.

So how many tourists visit Iran, Yemen or Saudi? The answer is not many. The sad truth is that you are usually better off with the devil you know than the devil you don't. IMO if the Moslem Brotherhood takes power just shut down the tourist industry in Egypt as you won't be getting many visitors.
Crowley I always read your posts as you always present a good insight into what is going on in country. It is also obvious that you have a deep felt love for Egypt and it's people. This must be a heart breaking and confusing time for you as you look at the future. Best of luck. The P.I. Has great diving.

This is simply not true. At all.

The concept (Islam) is simply far away from the method of application (some practices in other countries). However, if people in these countries are happy with what they have, no one has the right to interfere.
What is not true?
That some people want a fundmentalist regime or that this would end tourism?
Well, I´m afraid both statements are true!
Do you dispute that there are factions that want only the law of the Sharia and nothing else, that want no western democracy, no equal rights for women, no western influence at all and no "infidels" in the country? Nobody knows how many there are. Nobody knows how many of the "silent majority", that did not venture on the streets, did not voice their opinion, did not take part in any of this, would and will vote for just that in the coming elections. Just saying it were not true is closing ones eyes and denying reality.
Last Friday
also here...
...and there
How many tourists do you think Egypt will have left from those 12+ million of last year if these forces take over?
How many jobs wold be lost? How many businesses would be ruined?

Secondly, how would you measure if people in other countries are happy with the system?
Because they have not rebelled? Well, the Libyans didn´t rebell for a couple of decades - seems they where quite happy then according to you.
How do you check if they are happy? Polls on the internet? Upps..there is no free access to the internet. By speaking publicly on TV or to newspapers? Hmm...there is unfortunately no free speech and no free press either.
Do you think the people in Iran or the women in Saudi-Arabia are generally happy with their situation? And if not - what choices do they have? Elections? Don´t make me laugh! We´ve seen after the last elections in Iran how the regime reacted.

I am absolutely tolerant towards anybodys believes!
But I am more than sceptical if any believe-system is forced onto people, because some think they are in possession of the ultimate truth and have the power to enforce it. I am also very sceptical if a religion proclaims that some (men) have more rights than others (women). And I draw the line where those that are in power make their religion the measuring stick of everybodys life. Religion is something private! Everybody must be allowed to believe in whatever he or she wants - or not believe in anything at all if they choose so. That´s not any states business! Everybodys freedom ends exactly there, were it impedes the freedom of others! Nevertheless a state, a society needs rules and laws to function. Otherwise you have anarchy. But these rules and laws must apply equally to everybody without regard of status, race, gender or religious believe. If non-believers (or "infidels") realize upon their death that they made a gigantic mistake - well, let god punish them! I for myself will not be told what to believe in and I will not allow myself to be judged by others based on that. Believing one thing or another does not make you a better or worse person. Only your actions in life define you - not your believes! And since your actions may be grounded in your believes, they might speak volume about your religion...

IMO if the Moslem Brotherhood takes power just shut down the tourist industry in Egypt as you won't be getting many visitors.
FYI, the Muslim Brotherhood are not taking part in the political scene. They've established a political party called Freedom and Justice. It's a separate entity and they're not interfering into its decisions.

Freedom and Justice has a complete political offering and it's published (in Arabic of course) over the web. Tourism is part of it. For instance, when the Polish Parliament representatives visited Freedom and Justice, the party asked them to send more tourists to Egypt.

What is not true?
That some people want a fundmentalist regime or that this would end tourism?
Well, I´m afraid both statements are true!
Do you dispute that there are factions that want only the law of the Sharia and nothing else, that want no western democracy, no equal rights for women, no western influence at all and no "infidels" in the country? Nobody knows how many there are. Nobody knows how many of the "silent majority", that did not venture on the streets, did not voice their opinion, did not take part in any of this, would and will vote for just that in the coming elections. Just saying it were not true is closing ones eyes and denying reality.
Last Friday
also here...
...and there
There are more than one Islamic-oriented political party now. They had their political offerings published (read previous post). Not all tourism activities are to be dismissed (as you mentioned in your post).

BTW, I don't follow-up with the media. Ain't worth it...

Only your actions in life define you - not your believes! And since your actions may be grounded in your believes, they might speak volume about your religion...
Indeed, although what you mentioned about the inequality etc... is not true. You have to differentiate between the concept (Islam) and the practice some people like to do (sometimes in the name of Islam).

I was forced to cancel a boat charter in Feb from Hurghada after our flights from the US were cancelled. I told everyone we'd make a decision about trying again for Feb 2012 after the elections in Sept. But it's not clear when the elections will be now...
I can hold some of the group together until about Oct, after that various Caribbean destinations will scoop them up. It's not looking good for the Egyptian Red Sea right now.

Back
Top Bottom