Thoughts on the future of Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If YOU pay for a display that you put up in a public area, that does NOT mean its "state sponsored" at all..
Outside of a shop would be a public area, despite me owning it.

And you know by anywhere you like I dont mean trespassing, no need to make yourself more stupid than what you really are..

If YOU pay for a display that you put up in a public area, that does NOT mean its "state sponsored" at all..
Outside of a shop would be a public area, despite me owning it.

And you know by anywhere you like I dont mean trespassing, no need to make yourself more stupid than what you really are..

By "public area," I am referring to property owned by the public. This includes government buildings, parks, etc.--anything owned by the taxpayers. It is as much my property as anyone else's, and I should have an equal say in what is placed on it. In some places it is policy that displays can be done if paid for by private individuals. That is how some religious displays are made. So far to my knowledge no one has made the obvious counter move--put up a satanist display with private money.

Now that woulda been interesting in say.. a park in California..

And thats exactly what I mean by true religious freedom - that you can display your religion anywhere (which is not trespassing on private property) without being told youre not allowed to. Personally Im not one that have any interest in putting up any religious displays, but if I wanted to I could.

I have seen Jackass having a dude walking around in a satan costume with a "God out of California" poster in his hand though - which was not exactly what Id define as popular :p

..and this recent conversation relates to the Red Sea exactly how?

The religious debate will continue to rage for another 2000 years, create more bloody conflict, lead to further oppression of human rights and probably cause people to argue a lot on public chat forums! :D

I believe that religion has no part to play in politics but sadly it does, and it's not just here in the Middle East - the "Christian Right" has a huge amount of political influence in America. People practice their religions with varying amounts of fervour, and this is the problem in Sharm and Egypt at the moment. The fact is, we are pretty much guaranteed to have a goverment with a strong majority, comprised of the political wing (The FJP) of what has, until this year, been a purely religious organisation - the Muslim Brotherhood.

As time progresses, these have become less of "the enemy", and what they are saying appeals to a broad range of Egpytians. The Salafist Al-Nour party, on the other hand, is a problem, and one report in Ahram online suggest that in certain regions they are getting up to 30% of the vote.

Going back to America and the Christian Right for a moment - it is from this group that more hardline beliefs regarding sexual orientation, right-to-life and high school curricula are espoused, and laws on homosexuality, abortion and "creationism" are hot topics over there - anything other than the traditional christian family is evil, doctors are executed and atheists are barred from classrooms.... My point is that these people don't even have a political party, although they bring a lot of support and therefore have a great deal of influence on Republican policy.

Bring that to Egypt with a democratically elected Islamic-based party, with a clear parliamentary majority, who have a religiously fundamentalist and very vociferous 20 - 30% of their parliament demanding that (amongst other things, but as it relates to the Red Sea), alcohol is banned, beach tourism is banned, women will have to cover up, and Sharm El Sheikh in particular will be closed. So - do they become an opposition party, hardline vs moderate Islam, or do they throw their political clout behind the FJP in return for certain status or concessions.

It might be something such as: the FJP has appointed a coptic christian to the party. The Salafists would like to see all copts converted or crucified. Middle ground? Dismiss the copt from the party. FJP will keep the tourist status-quo, Salafists want it shut down - middle ground? Restrict booze to hotels and ban bikinis except on the beach. It's where these lines are drawn that will affect what happens to us.

Many visitors to Sharm almost never leave their hotels except to go and ride a camel or a quad-bike and instead sit on the beach, drink alcohol and go to the hotel party in the evening, maybe take a stroll into Na'ama Bay. Restricting booze to hotels will have no effect on a huge number of visitors, but a whole bunch of bars will go out of business immediately.

I'd appreciate it if the religious debate could be kept relevant to the Red Sea forum and this particular thread's discussion about the future of Sharm and the other Red Sea resorts. Slinging mud at each other's particular religious or political point of view leads to unhappiness, mistrust, drunken fighting and hair-pulling, and eventually, beatings, torture and executions.

Cheers and beers (while it's still legal to drink beers at home)

Crowley

Egypt is done as a major tourist destination as long as MB and the real hardliners are in charge. I believe they will allow alcohol in the tourist hotels but at a price that will become un affordable. Woman having to wear scarfs and long sleeves will also have impact and the first time some tourist is arrested for public display of affection like in UAE, it's over. With the absence of tourism the reefs will be ravaged by people needing to make a living. I think it is going to get ugly as far as tourism goes but the people of Egypt are getting the country they want and if it makes them happy so be it.

They dont know what they want, thats the problem. The current generation have never really had it and as a result they have only a general idea of what they dont and dont really understand the limitations there is and the implications some of the changes they think they want has on foreign relations and in turn their ecomomy as a secondary and their employment rates as a primary.

As far as the fishing of the reefs that may happen goes - You could argue that heavy tourism damages the reefs, and its hard to argue that it dont hurt them at all, but when it comes to former tourism eployees starting to throw fishing lines all over the place, theill be ruined very quickly.
There was actually fishing done on the reefs around Sharm El Sheikh for a few weeks and it showed in june with regards to fishing lines (and they where no hand-lines) being stuck in very nice ammounts for getting entangled on some of the sites :/

Back
Top Bottom