Thoughts on breathable inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used first stage swivels for various things. Typically they are rebreather related, as quite often, rebreather hoses tend to require some rather interesting lengths and configurations.

Is it possible to put a swivel on the first stage and second stage ends of the hose to keep it from sticking out at all?My hose juts out several inches from my first stage as it is.

I use one on my longhose to make it go right down from the first stage. It have worked well the last 100 dives.

You would damage the hose the same then....

Very true. I’ve not used a swivel on the first stage, so I am not speaking from experience.

Is it possible to put a swivel on the first stage and second stage ends of the hose to keep it from sticking out at all?My hose juts out several inches from my first stage as it is.

It will be sticking out into a space which is just next to your head. Is that likely to be a problem? If your head fitted and the rest of you then the hose isn’t likely to limit progress. In an overhead environment you are likely to choose a twinset and have better routing options to keep the hose for jutting out.

Streamlining is about avoiding being caught up or smashing the environment or your kit. It isn’t really about being able to go an extra few inches per finnstroke.

If it really bothers you use something like a DST or SP mk25 with the 5th port.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm using an mk25 that swivels so it's less of an issue for me than it is for others.

I'm ignorant on this. What is the 5th port? Is that the one on the very "bottom" where all the other ports are on the sides? I have an Atomic Z2 (I guess my first stage is a B2). It has several ports, but I'm not using the end one at this time.

I'm ignorant on this. What is the 5th port? Is that the one on the very "bottom" where all the other ports are on the sides? I have an Atomic Z2 (I guess my first stage is a B2). It has several ports, but I'm not using the end one at this time.
Ok, so it looks like you have a lot of choices wrt hose routing. You ought to be able to tilt the first stage slightly off vertical, find one of the six ports not on the end for the primary, another for your BCD inflate and the run the octopus down from the end port and then under an arm without creating a big loop of spare hose to the side.

Next, octopus left or right?

If you choose to hog loop with a 7ft primary you will probably want it on that end port.

I used an Oceanic clone of the Air 2 for four or five years and found no problem with the configuration, of course previously I used an "octo" and before that no second second stage for a couple of decades. I believe that a good diver can dive any configuration they are presented with or perfer.

A buddy switched to BP/W and dives it with an Air 2 and a standard hose, I have had no configuration based issues diving with him and we have dived togather enough to have some interesting moments.

I now use a 40" primary with bungeed backup, the 7' hose I found good, but is less than optimal with a snorkel, which I use on most dives. If I spent my time penetrating caves and wrecks, I'd move the snorkel and use the long hose as it would make more sense.

As far as I can see, diver configurations are dependant on the dive being made and personal preferences, one size does not fit all. Dive and let dive!

Bob

What is the functional difference between a 5' and a 7'? Is there a good reason to choose one over the other?
I'm in the Air Force, so I've seen thousands of people be wrong over and over again :D. That said, I really am willing to explore this option.
I've now been told that my concerns about being noosed by my reg hose around my neck are unfounded, but why? Why is it not possible to be choked by a reg hose? I have seen people go twice around their neck with the thing, and their only defense is that they can easily slip it over their heads. The underthe arm and around the back method looks better, but I still need more than "this is how pros do it". That logic is dangerous in my world.
So, the differences between a 5’ and 7’ hose. Well, a 7’ hose is standard for overheads (wreck, ice and caves) this allows 2 divers to air share while in single file. For many body types it has a part of the hose that must be managed properly during skills and dive procedures.
Where as a 5’ hose is short enough that it requires less management but uses the identical procedures as a 7’ but it’s far less useful for overheads.

This is why we teach 5’ for open water and 7’ for overheads. But.......a vast majority start and stay on the 7’ hose as it really isn’t a significant challenge over a 5’.

Back
Top Bottom