Thoughts on breathable inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also seen the hose looped around the neck twice and this was during a technical training course. Obviously the instructor did not know what he was doing.

I don't know about that instructor, and I guess you can make anything work. Just not sure what the configuration is that would require the hose to be looped around the neck twice, or why anyone would do that. Definitely not the typically recommended way of doing it.

After 8 years of using the "standard" primary/octo hose configuration that came with my SP regs, with the advice of tbone1004, I switched to a 40" primary donate with swiveled hose tucked under my arm, and a 29" swiveled octo/hose bungeed on my neck. That was the smartest equipment decision I have made. The configuration is very comfortable and meets all of my diving requirements since I do not dive overhead environments. Considering my diving environment, I discarded the 5/7' hose option because I did not want my primary dive buddies (wife and grandson) to be that far away from me in an air share situation, and I did not want to deal with stowing the unnecessary extra length. A 40" donated primary reg allows easy air sharing and keeps my dive buddy close enough that I can grab if necessary.

They are typically called integrated power inflators. The most popular models are SS1 and Air2. Use the search feature, you'll find so many opinions and arguments that you're head will spin. Ignore those with extreme opinions. Good luck.

Imagine doing an air share while ascending from depth.....can you see any issues?

Been diving one since I was certified back in the mid-80's; never been an issue. Air share is air share, be familiar with what you and those you are diving with have, and make sure that you share any concerns.

As pointed out above, the urban legend of Death by Air2 is overly exaggerated, and pattenedly false.

I don't know about that instructor, and I guess you can make anything work. Just not sure what the configuration is that would require the hose to be looped around the neck twice, or why anyone would do that. Definitely not the typically recommended way of doing it.
On rereading my post I see it could be taken more than one way. I was being critical of his training.

After 8 years of using the "standard" primary/octo hose configuration that came with my SP regs, with the advice of tbone1004, I switched to a 40" primary donate with swiveled hose tucked under my arm, and a 29" swiveled octo/hose bungeed on my neck. That was the smartest equipment decision I have made. The configuration is very comfortable and meets all of my diving requirements since I do not dive overhead environments. Considering my diving environment, I discarded the 5/7' hose option because I did not want my primary dive buddies (wife and grandson) to be that far away from me in an air share situation, and I did not want to deal with stowing the unnecessary extra length. A 40" donated primary reg allows easy air sharing and keeps my dive buddy close enough that I can grab if necessary.

Is it possible to put a swivel on the first stage and second stage ends of the hose to keep it from sticking out at all?My hose juts out several inches from my first stage as it is.

Is it possible to put a swivel on the first stage and second stage ends of the hose to keep it from sticking out at all?My hose juts out several inches from my first stage as it is.
I've never seen a swivel with the right fitting to screw into a first stage directly. Doesn't mean they don't exist.

Just keep in mind swivels can come apart, which is very bad. Some swivels are better designed than others but historically speaking they have come apart mid dive at least once. I use them with my full face mask, but I go with the xs swivels that would have to physically break to come apart. Most swivels can just unscrew and come apart. I used one for a while with my standard regulator, but later replaced it with a 45 degree angle adapter. The adapter was good enough and eliminated the risk of any problems.

Personally I would not recommend placing a swivel at the first stage. This is an area somewhat susceptible to damage and realize you are adding an additional leak point with each swivel you incorporate.

I use them all the time on numerous rigs.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom