Thoughts on Air Integrated (hoseless) computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AI are E&U

Air-integrated computers are expensive & unnecessary.
I agree. In addition to my AI computer, I also have a $5,000 watch that tells time measurably worse than a $25 Timex. It's waterproof to 300 meters, but it never goes below 5 meters. It's expensive and unnecessary. I think it looks cool though.

AI are E&U

One glance at your $70 SPG and 2 seconds of math in your head can give you the same information as a $1,000 AI system.

Seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Dive computers in general are E&U. A real diver doesn't need no stinking computer. His computer is between his brain. Just by feel of water pressure on his body alone, he can tell what depth he's at. He doesn't even need The Wheel to calculate for multilevel diving. It's all in his brains and it doesn't even cost $70.

One glance at your $70 SPG and 2 seconds of math in your head can give you the same information as a $1,000 AI system.

Clearly this thread is reaching the end of it's useful lifetime with posts like this.

So you're saying that you can "in two seconds" calculate all of your NDL times and required deco stops on a multi-level, repetitive dive?

Heck, I'm surprised you even need a pressure gauge. Can you just "feel" how much air you've been using and "in two seconds" know how much is left in the tank?

-Charles

Hi,
due to my "work" I am surrounded by dive computers .... about 30 at my office now ...... and I like them all :D

When I go diving for real, due to my poor vision (I wear contact lenses) I either use the Galileo Sol or the Datamask. Used them since a couple of years and never had any problem with the hoseless link.

I am quite sure that the other 28 dive computers in my office would work more than fine .... but I just can't see those small numbers :depressed:

As soon as I get my hands on a color dive computer (next month) I will let you know :wink:

Alberto

AI are E&U

Seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Doc Harry,

If your on air and deep enough to worry about decompression, you may be under the influence of N2 and be unable to work the tables in your head as fast as you'd like... LOL :)

Stupid question, but was does the "Air Integrated" part have to do with the deco computations? I don't seem to recall "pressure remaining in current tank" having anything to do with what your NDL's (or deco needs) are. Gas remaining might certainly factor into what your *plans* end up being, of course :)

I think the debate is on the air integration component, not on dive computers as a whole.

Stupid question, but was does the "Air Integrated" part have to do with the deco computations? I don't seem to recall "pressure remaining in current tank" having anything to do with what your NDL's (or deco needs) are. Gas remaining might certainly factor into what your *plans* end up being, of course :)

I think the debate is on the air integration component, not on dive computers as a whole.
Correct, and I'd assume the calculations Doc Harry was referring to were to determine "remaining air time."

AI are E&U

True, but assuming we aren't talking search, rescue, commercial, etc., diving itself is expensive and unnecessary.

Luckily, I can afford some things that are expensive and unnecessary, like my underwater camera gear, my AI computer and air conditioning in my home.

Clearly this thread is reaching the end of it's useful lifetime with posts like this.

So you're saying that you can "in two seconds" calculate all of your NDL times and required deco stops on a multi-level, repetitive dive?

Heck, I'm surprised you even need a pressure gauge. Can you just "feel" how much air you've been using and "in two seconds" know how much is left in the tank?

-Charles

Heck yeah!!! A "real" diver such as myself with ten thousand hours of training and correct HOG configuration don't need nuthin' fancy.

I don't even need a J-valve for the tank. Just from the hollow echo in the tank alone, I can tell how much pressure I have left. Don't need no stinkin' J-valve to add another failure point. If I'm weighted correctly, I don't need a BC of any kind either (less failure point to worry about). Octo? Another failure point. My regularly self-serviced main second stage is good to go. As far as other divers out of air, tough on them. I'm going lean, no failure-point diving, baby!!!

For some computers, air integration is used to help calculate tissue loading. If the computer sees a sudden, increased breathing rate it assumes a higher workload equaling faster tissue loading. It then uses that info to help determine NDL's and/or deco stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom