This Winter - Water Temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What are the coldest Ocean temps you've seen diving in Hawaii this winter, at each of your dive sites if you remember. Details like time of day, date and depth of those cold dives are also of interest to me. :)

I'm curious... are these warmer than average? Our waters here off Catalina have been unseasonably warm this winter.

I find swim trunks good enough for 90 minutes in 73-75 deg water ... then again I'm pretty well insulated :wink: Most visitors prefer a 5mil - and many local pros wear 7mil

it all comes down to you...

The coldest I've ever seen it here on the Big Island was a recent dive (2 March 2010 11:46) at Pipe Dreams,
on the tip of Keahole Pt. Temperature was 71F at 214 FSW.

Temperatures have been running 73-75 for the past couple of weeks. This is according to my Liquivision X1,
which reads a bit colder than some other computers out there.

Oh, and I dive dry :D

Temps were a balmy 76f at Haleiwa Beach Park yesterday. It was after 1 in the afternoon and I was only freediving, max depth 9 ft :D . But it got me away from the hubbub at the office party for the real ruckus to die down.

I was in a 3mil with insulated skin and board shorts underneath. 40 minutes was enough to chill me and decide that hamburgers, beer, and people to talk to were alright. Not to mention that tourist that got turned into shark food yesterday as well...

Peace,
Greg

I got 72 degrees at Kahe Point last weekend.

I've been getting 73 pretty consistantly around Lanail Lookout/Blowhole/Hanauma/Dominique's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom