Think You've Got Problems??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also discovered that he is covered with thousands of bristles which are capable of inflicting a sting resulting in permanent numbness.'

You have got to be kidding. Permanent tends to be a very long time. Know any welders? Welding gloves, leather welding protection jacket for the arms and chest...and if you can't get the thing out...220 volt welding rod into the tank will make a pretty good sized dent in that alien looking monster.

I'm not in the least squeemish about most things, eating bugs in the military and such...but that worm would have me pulling out the shovel and buying new coral I'm thinking.

Permanent.....PERMANENT.....think that one over real well before you leap into the unknown. Be very careful when hunting things that can hunt you back.

Now...go kill it!

:popcorn:

What do you think,Ann Marie YELLED spider.

I could hear it on this side of the ocean.:rofl3:

So we come running.:D

Is that a RoseHair tarantula? I use to have one of those years ago. Bought it for a halloween gimmick then fell in love with it so I kept it. :)

Last edited:
Somehow I initally clicked into the center of this thread and saw the spider. Now I've just went back to read what the thread is about... Someone hold me. That thing is nasty. I'm skeered. Me no like worms :depressed:

Starting to become concerned that the worm might have been a little larger than anticipated. In which case Ann's new name may be "Lunch".

If we don't hear from her by morning we may need to call in an artillery strike. LB, you ready?

I was so tired by the time I got everything pretty much put back to together that I went to bed.

We tore the tank apart. Removed all the things I want to keep and carefully stored them into a bucket with water, water-movement, airlines, and a small filter.

We drained the water. :depressed:

We removed the rock. :depressed:

We removed the sand. :depressed:

We could not find the worm. :depressed:

I know its there. I've got the photo. I've got half eaten or completely eaten soft corals. :depressed:

I don't know where it's hiding. :depressed:

All of my live rock is sitting in a bucket, drying out and dying. :depressed:

I should have taken a photo of my tank before, but here's a photo of it now (the actual aquarium lights were removed so we could reach in). :shakehead:

I've also got a photo of my family room. :shakehead:

I was afraid to come downstairs just now, I wasn't sure what I'd find. I don't know what to do.

I'm off to post on a saltwater fish forum to see what my next steps should be.

At least now, I'm confident that it's not IN my tank (where it is, I'm not sure). So, I've replaced the sand (after sifting it), replaced some of the water with old and the rest with new, replaced the rock (where the worm is probably hiding) with rock from another tank and restarted the filters. I hope the bacteria in there does it's job and is able to handle the bio-load. I'll do water tests in a couple of hours to make sure.

Welcome to my life. :D

this could be the next BIG horror movie

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 78
LOL, this is the most exciting thread that SB has produced in a long while:D

I know very little about aquariums (in fact, I'm not even sure if the plural isn't "aquaria") but as a software engineer, here are the debugging thoughts that goes through my mind. Hey, even the word "debugging" takes on a new meaning here.

Anyways, would it not be possible to keep all the elements separate for a while and wait for the bug to show again? Maybe you can put one piece of coral in each bucket and see which one gets attacked. Then at least you will know which bucket the bug is in and you can put the contents of all the other buckets back into the aquarium and focus your attention on the bugged bucket.

Once you know which bucket contains the bug, you can then separate the elements from that bucket into more buckets and repeat the process. Divide and conquer!

I'm not sure how doable this is as I'm sure you'd want to circulate and oxygenate the water so your corals and what not don't die and you probably don't have enough pumps and filters to run 5 or 6 different aquariums in buckets but I just thought it might be an idea.

Either way, I'll be checking back on this thread daily now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom