Things you won't find in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Refrigerated Eggs!

when we went to curacao it was next to impossible to find eggs of any kind.

a local farmer where i live told me you do not need to refrigerate eggs unless they have been washed. there is a protective layer on them. you just wash them before you use them.

thats said, when i was young ans stupid (now i am just old and stupid) i travelled all the time being in the music business. i used to keep store bought eggs in my room unrefrigerated even in summer. i ate them raw in shakes all the time. i never got sick once.

a local farmer where i live told me you do not need to refrigerate eggs unless they have been washed. there is a protective layer on them. you just wash them before you use them.
The CDC recommends refrigerating them because "Live poultry can carry bacteria such as Salmonella, which can contaminate the inside of eggs before the shells are formed. Egg shells may become contaminated with Salmonella from live poultry droppings (poop) or the area where the eggs are laid."

Nevertheless, the US is the only country I can think of where I have seen eggs refrigerated. Maybe our industrial egg production methods are riskier than true "cage-free," etc.
when we went to curacao it was next to impossible to find eggs of any kind.
And yet over on Bonaire there is a local egg producer, whose eggs can be found in all the grocery stores. The eggs are one of the few things not imported, it seems.

But back to Cozumel ....

Until I can bring my own grow, I stick with cartridges. I love smoking and relaxing in the plaza while the sun sets and the bells toll overhead. If I was smoking flower, I couldn't do that.

not sure if you're a fan of Narcos, but their gringo spanish was so bad It took a while before I realzed when they were saying in their redneck accents "senn - suh - mee -yuh" they were really trying to say "sin semilla!" hahaha

We have done that on some trips when the coffeemaker looked clean and filters were supplied and so on. (Who is your dive op that they supply you with a coffeemaker--that's cool!)
I take filters, a quart bottle, and my own grounds to make it easy. I dive with Salty Endeavors.
Granted, if we were staying longer than a week we might up our game.
It started my first time with Henry. I bought an $11 coffee maker even tho I'm only there for a week and left it for him. I'll do it for a four day trip, and I have left many behind. The next trip he had one for me. Not the same one, but who knows?
I used to raise cage-free hens and many of their eggs had poop on them. I wonder what they do with those? I have raised ducks, washed their eggs, then oiled them with vegetable oil for non-refrigerated storage. Always float-test and discard any that float.

then oiled them with vegetable oil for non-refrigerated storage

Smart to addle the eggs. Thats what we need to do with the canadian geese eggs we have on our lakes but we have too many gladys kravitz neighbors that would call the game warden.

I used to raise cage-free hens and many of their eggs had poop on them. I wonder what they do with those? I have raised ducks, washed their eggs, then oiled them with vegetable oil for non-refrigerated storage. Always float-test and discard any that float.

ya the eggs we found in curacao were pretty nasty lookin'. lol we washed them good and they were fine. didn't kno about the float test though. thats good to know.

never had any issues on mexico so far. shopping there aint much different than home. just different brands.

i agree with the comments about milk though. and the butter? whats up with the butter? eeewww. it is so watery. some kinda bad mararine i guess. haha

the chocolate coconut ice cream on coz make sup for it though. mmmmm

didn't kno about the float test though. thats good to know.
As an egg goes bad, it produces hydrogen sulfide gas causing it to float.
i agree with the comments about milk though. and the butter? whats up with the butter? eeewww. it is so watery. some kinda bad mararine i guess. haha
Marge mentioned that earlier here...
You have to carefully read ingredients here. Something that says Mantequilla (butter) can legally contain up to 20% other crud.

Until I can bring my own grow, I stick with cartridges. I love smoking and relaxing in the plaza while the sun sets and the bells toll overhead. If I was smoking flower, I couldn't do that.

I didn't think you could bring e-cigarettes to MX.

I take filters, a quart bottle, and my own grounds to make it easy.

We do the same. The last condo we rented only had a Keurig (hate those things). We had friends coming down the next day, and asked them to bring a refillable cup. They forgot, along with a lot of other things, and we went to the Mega to buy a cheap coffee maker for the condo. I can't stand the idea of throwing away 20+ plastic cups during our stay.

I didn't think you could bring e-cigarettes to MX.
Do not get caught.
I can't stand the idea of throwing away 20+ plastic cups during our stay.
Nope. My SIL had one of those machines. I keep my own coffee maker at their house.

Back
Top Bottom