Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chasing the biggest number on your dive computer just to see the number can be a recipe for disaster, even though I can relate to the call of the deep.

But as you said you are diving within your limits and plan. And as long as your dive buddies know exactly what they are getting into when the dive with you, it's on them to make the decision to dive with you or not.

Hmm, from the thread title I thought this thread was going to be about peeing while wearing a wetsuit.

Don't worry. 74.8% of all Scubaboard threads in the Basic Scuba Forum turn into into discussions regarding peeing while wearing a wetsuit. We'll get there, just give it time.

The issue here is not a "different strokes for different strokes" variation in conservatism or risk tolerance.

The problem here is that the OP seems unaware of the level of risk involved (both to himself and his dive buddies) in his solo dips to 40 meters on a single tank.

I suspect many, maybe even most, scuba deaths occur on dives on which the people involved don't understand the risks, not on dives on which they make an informed decision to accept those risks. People who understand the risks generally take measures to mitigate them.

I know and I agree with you

A lot of people look at things without knowing any inherent risks
A case of "I don't know what I don't know - therefore I'm probably fine"

OP didn't mention if 40m was the seabed - but I doubt it is the way he phrases it and implies that he could go deeper but won't because of training to 40m only

But I am apprehensive of undercurrents that could pull you down

I try to reach 40 at every single dive even when there is nothing special to see.

Air. Just air. But I monitor my NDL.

So you’re diving air at 40 meters on every dive? As you plunge to the depths your NDL plummets along with it. I’m surprised your buddies don’t tell you and your impulses to pound sand for abbreviating their dives.

It's your inner technical diver screaming to be let free of the shackles of recreational diving.

Just spend the 'shrink' money on dive kit. And training. And more dive kit. Count your cylinders by the dozen. And you want a scooter to go with the rebreather....

The good news is that it's massively cheaper than being addicted to sailing. Or flying, which makes sailing look like a pauper's hobby.
Probably cheaper than most drug-addictions as well.

It's your inner technical diver screaming to be let free of the shackles of recreational diving.

Just spend the 'shrink' money on dive kit. And training. And more dive kit. Count your cylinders by the dozen. And you want a scooter to go with the rebreather....

The good news is that it's massively cheaper than being addicted to sailing. Or flying, which makes sailing look like a pauper's hobby.

Bang on here. The reason i can't afford tech diving is because of my sailing addiction. I hate to think what flying costs.

A rebreather is cheap compared to maintaining a set of racing sails.

Is it similar the the old saying that if it is marine, add a zero to the price? For flying is it 2 zeros?

1.) Wearing my mask on my forehead, when I don't have a realistic concern the wind from boat travel is strong enough to take it from me.

2.) Peeing in my wetsuit...a given.

3.) I like round numbers; no, I'm not on a mission to break 100 feet every dive, but if I'm at a max. depth so far of 58 - 59 feet, I'll probably drop a couple of feet extra.

4.) I'm willing to get back on the boat with under 500 PSI, depending on conditions. I prefer to be above it, but that's an arbitrary limit some op.s use.

5.) Clear my nose on the ladder as I exit, or over the side of the boat once aboard. Yeah, it's gross, but I haven't been able to snort for over 45 minutes, and it's probably not practical to dart into a bathroom immediately. I try to be decently discreet, but cover a nostril and blast.

250ft on air aught to do it, haha
I’ve done that twice when I was young and dumb I guess I’m old and dumb, now, but no longer have the urge to repeat that.

1.) Wearing my mask on my forehead, when I don't have a realistic concern the wind from boat travel is strong enough to take it from me.

2.) Peeing in my wetsuit...a given.

3.) I like round numbers; no, I'm not on a mission to break 100 feet every dive, but if I'm at a max. depth so far of 58 - 59 feet, I'll probably drop a couple of feet extra.

4.) I'm willing to get back on the boat with under 500 PSI, depending on conditions. I prefer to be above it, but that's an arbitrary limit some op.s use.

5.) Clear my nose on the ladder as I exit, or over the side of the boat once aboard. Yeah, it's gross, but I haven't been able to snort for over 45 minutes, and it's probably not practical to dart into a bathroom immediately. I try to be decently discreet, but cover a nostril and blast.

Bingo.....Took longer than I thought.:clapping:
Edit: Typo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom