Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remembered reading some articles mentioning that some cave divers suffering from constipation. They have to be careful with the food they ate on the trip. Not sure if it is true or not.
there are those things called adult diapers you know :wink:

I am 52 years old and I am supposed to be mentally balanced. But since I started diving, I have always been attracted by the depth. It is irrational. Even though I made myself the promise to never go below 40 meters, I try to reach 40 at every single dive even when there is nothing special to see. Even for a bump dive. Just to see 40 on my DC. If you want to spoil my dive, just tell me during the briefing that the bottom is at 15 meters. Sometimes, I am at 30 meters with my wife-buddy or with a DM that I know well and I signal that I will go to 40 and come back. This has become a routine. Of course, perfect visibility, no current and in the first quarter of the dive. A shrink might say that I do that to demystify 40 meters and feel comfortable at that depth but I don't do shrinks. So my question is: are there things that you do while diving that are not really logical but not dangerous either?

We'd all feel better if you planned all your 40 meter dives and brought someone with you on them.

When I teach the deep dive to advanced open water students, I tell them that one of the things I most want them to take away from the deep dive is a firm resolution that, because they know narcosis will affect their cognitive functions at depth, they must never alter a deep dive plan except in a more conservative direction.

If you're already at 30 meters with a buddy on a dive that wasn't scheduled to go deeper than 30 meters--and then you decide to drop to 40 meters by yourself with no bailout--you're not diving in accordance with your training.

Conducting unplanned solo dives to 40 meters so often that you consider it routine does not make it a safe practice. Please take better care of yourself.

Hmm, from the thread title I thought this thread was going to be about peeing while wearing a wetsuit.

Me too!

I am 52 years old and I am supposed to be mentally balanced. But since I started diving, I have always been attracted by the depth. It is irrational. Even though I made myself the promise to never go below 40 meters, I try to reach 40 at every single dive even when there is nothing special to see. Even for a bump dive. Just to see 40 on my DC. If you want to spoil my dive, just tell me during the briefing that the bottom is at 15 meters. Sometimes, I am at 30 meters with my wife-buddy or with a DM that I know well and I signal that I will go to 40 and come back. This has become a routine. Of course, perfect visibility, no current and in the first quarter of the dive. A shrink might say that I do that to demystify 40 meters and feel comfortable at that depth but I don't do shrinks. So my question is: are there things that you do while diving that are not really logical but not dangerous either?
Your buddy/DM is okay with that? Because it is them who needs to help you. It puts them in risk also. I would newer dive to 40m without douples so if my buddy did this... I WOULD BE VERY ANGRY.

Your buddy/DM is okay with that? Because it is them who needs to help you. It puts them in risk also. I would newer dive to 40m without douples so if my buddy did this... I WOULD BE VERY ANGRY.

just quickly sketched this
Some people have higher tolerance/less conservatism
Which is fine as long as they realize the direction of risk

upload_2021-7-14_16-16-15.png

Hmm, from the thread title I thought this thread was going to be about peeing while wearing a wetsuit.

Right? I was going to say have explosive diarrhea while leading a group. WAR HAMMER!!!!!!

I am always on the lookout for the mermaid but she hasn't shown up yet. I am always looking and waiting...
You might want to try Vegas.

The mermaid thing might cost extra though. :rofl3:

I check my gauges. Like ALL the time. I must check them every 2 minutes. Not for depth but for air. But that makes no sense. I usually come back with more than anybody on the boat. The only time I've ever been below 700PSI was on one of my OW checkout dives. It's not uncommon for me to come back with 1600 psi after a 60min dive.

Certainly not dangerous. But I can't shake the habit.

You shouldn't try to shake that habit.

Yes, wife and DM friends are of with that. We dived several times at 40 meters together before during training and regular dives. Staying a couple of minutes at 40 minutes at a beginning of a dive with a 12l tank with 200 bars is not a problem. When I do that, I am never out of sight though. They are above me. I see them and they see me.

Back
Top Bottom