Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, wife and DM friends are of with that. We dived several times at 40 meters together before during training and regular dives. Staying a couple of minutes at 40 minutes at a beginning of a dive with a 12l tank with 200 bars is not a problem. When I do that, I am never out of sight though. They are above me. I see them and they see me.

I find this very confusing. You were quite upset on a recent dive because of an overhead but going to 40m on the regular doesn't bother you at all. Smh

I find this very confusing. You were quite upset on a recent dive because of an overhead but going to 40m on the regular doesn't bother you at all. Smh
This is because I have rules. I don't do tech dives meaning I don't do overhead environments and I don't do dives below 40 meters. I am trained to do 40 meters dives. I am not trained for caves or caverns and I don't want to.

If you routinely go to 40m, just use that depth as your max when planning and your good to go. Don’t understand the ashamed bit.

If you routinely go to 40m, just use that depth as your max when planning and your good to go. Don’t understand the ashamed bit.
This what I do. I include a 2 minutes bump at 40 meters. But this urge to systematically reach 40 m is ludicrous, isn’t it? That’s why I am ashamed.

I should be ashamed of being a crappy buddy, but I'm not really.
I fully warn whoever is going to dive with me that I won't be checking on them, I may either slow down or speed up depending on the environment (or for no apparent reason), and to make sure they understand they are self-suficiente.

I still put my hand on the passengers seat of the car when I have to slam on the brakes, which annoys my husband to no end. It started when my first son was borne, back them we didn't used the armored/energy-field-anti-crash baby seats of today's so it got engraved in my brain to protect the creature. A dive buddy? meh, not so much.

It's your inner technical diver screaming to be let free of the shackles of recreational diving.

Just spend the 'shrink' money on dive kit. And training. And more dive kit. Count your cylinders by the dozen. And you want a scooter to go with the rebreather....

The good news is that it's massively cheaper than being addicted to sailing. Or flying, which makes sailing look like a pauper's hobby.

This what I do. I include a 2 minutes bump at 40 meters. But this urge to systematically reach 40 m is ludicrous, isn’t it? That’s why I am ashamed.
No it’s not ludicrous, quite the opposite. The more often you experience the depth and conditions you may find yourself in the better.

just quickly sketched this
Some people have higher tolerance/less conservatism
Which is fine as long as they realize the direction of risk

View attachment 670893

The issue here is not a "different strokes for different strokes" variation in conservatism or risk tolerance.

The problem here is that the OP seems unaware of the level of risk involved (both to himself and his dive buddies) in his solo dips to 40 meters on a single tank.

I suspect many, maybe even most, scuba deaths occur on dives on which the people involved don't understand the risks, rather than on dives on which they make an informed decision to accept those risks. People who understand the risks generally take measures to mitigate them.

The issue here is not a "different strokes for different strokes" variation in conservatism or risk tolerance.

The problem here is that the OP seems unaware of the level of risk involved (both to himself and his dive buddies) in his solo dips to 40 meters on a single tank.

I suspect many, maybe even most, scuba deaths occur on dives on which the people involved don't understand the risks, not on dives on which they make an informed decision to accept those risks. People who understand the risks generally take measures to mitigate them.

The OP has already posted some interesting diving situations he’s been involved with. His wife is his buddy, I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom