Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you certainly know that you can have a 3 minutes NDL at 40 meters and that very NDL becomes 13 minutes once you go up to 25 meters, right?

Brilliant. Thanks for enlightening me.

Heu! When we do deep diving certification, the max depth is 40 meters. And we do it with single 12 l tank, perfectly safe.

Really?
When you did your deep dive for AOW, there was no staged bailout bottle, no pony carried by the instructor?
Interesting.

Not at all. The theory says it affects everyone but not the same. I take for granted that it does affect me. But I am still able to mentally make double digits multiplications.

Some might think that making a spontaneous decision to turn a 30 meter dive into an unplanned 40 meter dive without a partner would in itself be a noticeable manifestation of narcosis.

We're just having trouble understanding why the symptoms didn't abate when you resurfaced.

Heu! When we do deep diving certification, the max depth is 40 meters. And we do it with single 12 l tank, perfectly safe.

Yup and time to NDL would mean people needing to ascend and still have plenty of air. I did this planned dive to 45m on a single AL80 to pickup a camera rig. NDL was not really an issue and at 45m I still had just over 180 bar when I started my ascent against a current to get back with the other divers from our boat. I was not alone an instructor followed but he maxed depth at 40m. Thousand of dives are done safely on single tanks to 40m.

45M CAMERA RETRIEVAL.jpg

Really?
When you did your deep dive for AOW, there was no staged bailout bottle, no pony carried by the instructor?
Interesting.

Some might think that making a spontaneous decision to turn a 30 meter dive into an unplanned 40 meter dive without a partner would in itself be a noticeable manifestation of narcosis.

We're just having trouble understanding why the symptoms didn't abate when you resurfaced.
On the Deep course I took (2007) no one carried a pony, though extra tanks were hung at 15 feet (along with beer for afterwards).
I think it's safe enough if you're with an instructor on the course or later with a competent buddy. I usually take my pony anyway if looking at a 100' dive with an "instabuddy". I don't use my pony solo diving but generally limit that to 30 feet depth.

Really? When you did your deep dive for AOW, there was no staged bailout bottle, no pony carried by the instructor? Interesting. .

Quite the norm in Asia with some agencies. I was in a BSAC club when I was doing deep dives but we always brought extra tanks back in the 80s'. That is also because they were planned deco dives on air. In fact at one place I dive with I was surprised when one of the instructors dived side mount with his students on single tanks for their deep dive training. That was not the norm. As I was above them I got in a nice video of that. I've seen plenty of PADI instructors on single tank with their students on single tanks with no pony bottles going on deep dives

Yup and time to NDL would mean people needing to ascend and still have plenty of air. I did this dive to 45m on a single AL80 to pickup a camera. NDL was not really an issue and at 45m I still had just over 180 bar when I started my ascent against a current to get back with the other divers from our boat. I was not alone an instructor followed but he maxed depth at 40m. Thousand of dives are done safely on single tanks to 40m.

View attachment 671017
I agree with you. It is personal preference how much risk you are ready to take. For me 40m dive is twin set dive. If (when) something goes wrong NDL is so low at 40m...

My comments were about taking students below 30 meters for the first time.

You don’t know how they’ll react or how quickly they’ll burn through air or if they’ll have enough air to ascend properly if they miss their agreed upon ascend pressure. I’ve never taken, assisted, or taught that dive in a class without some extra safety margin.

I have no concerns about diving that deep with a single bottle and a competent buddy.

But it’s surprising to me to hear of the AOW deep dive being conducted without additional precautions.

I have no concerns about diving that deep with a single bottle and a competent buddy.

Yup agree. I certainly won't dive that deep with divers who do not have the experience of deep dives. One of my good dive buddies prefers not to go deeper than 30m on dives even though he is an excellent diver and also very good on air.

My 45m dive was a planned dive. It was my second of the day so you can see from the graph I wasted no time getting to the camera rig I needed to collect and then ascend. Fortunately I know the dive site quite well and knew where the camera was from the divers description of where she lost it. So I did not need to spend time on a search.

It is pretty common to see divers with instructors doing their deep dive on single tanks though without the instructor bring a pony. Again these dives tend to be get to say 35m - 40m stay to 5 mins NDL then ascend to shallower depths for the rest of the dive. These dives also teach the students how quickly they can consume air at depth as they often have a higher sac rate than their instructors and also how quickly NDL gets to low numbers. I have an unusually low sac rate for a person of my size and weight like a walrus.

Really?
Interesting.

It is not AOW which is a 30 m dive. It is Deep diving. And it is planned.

It is not AOW which is a 30 m dive. It is Deep diving. And it is planned.
And there were tanks at safety stop. We did not use it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom