Things I hate about LDS's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally have found within the past week that the "friendly" dive shops don't even know the products they sell. I asked them how their brand of regulator varied from other brands, there were only 2 that didn't bash the other brand. The LDS I do business with said "oh yeah I have one of those regulators" or "here's some info on those guys" The huge shocker was when the owner said "we sell(brand) because it performs well and it's about medium priced for those who are getting introduced to diving, so that they can if they need to upgrade in the future. (brand's regulator) is what I suggest for beginners who plan on shallow dives and can't afford to pay the high end prices."

I asked the owner about buying online. His only statement that seemed derogatory in any terms is: "alot of the online stores buy out gear that small dive shops, that couldn't cut it in the market, need to sell." He went on further to suggest that if I buy anything used online to have it serviced before using it underwater....you never know when it was serviced last, plus it's a way to know that everything will be in working order before you are in and emergency situation. If you buy anything bring it by and I'll inspect it and show you how to inspect it."

I guess I'm extremely lucky. The owner is great...when the shop is supposed to be open it is open, and when he says he'll be there at a given time he will be. I've known the owner and the previous one before him for several years.

Diveshops and other retail stores be warned!!! There are people who do honest business and don't pressure us. Why do you think you only see the people who bought that sale gear maybe once a year? We will find people who will treat us with respect and not see us as the next dive gear you can buy on commision. We're not gonna take it anymore and will dread coming into that shop. When people like the shop, they'll find stuff to buy inside. When customers like the brand and not the shop, they will buy a minimum and never return. Look at the mom and pop hardwear stores...there are home stores that sell every possible item in the world inside. Yet people like me will go to the mom and pop store and buy that box of screws I need cause I know I'll see a friendly face and not have to deal with teenagers who only work there cause mommy knows the manager or because they want to work at minimum wage to save up for that new video game. We're sick and tired and we're not gonna take it anymore.

Before going "independent", I put my time in at a "reputable" dive store. During a discussion one day, the owner made it clear saying that "My (the owner) money was in their (consumer) pocket, it was up to him to find a way to separate the two". With this mentality, I'm not surprised at the responses from the LDS's. Dissapointed, but not surprised.

Ya know, back in the day, the businesses understood one thing, "The customer is always right." Maybe it's just the industry with many holdovers from the days of seal training for O/W and buying from the local LDS because there were no others.

There is no excuse for bad attitudes in competition. You want my business, show me respect, answer my questions, and tell me if you are willing to debate on price.

1RUSTYRIG:
Things I hate about LDSs. I will put my list up top here with my rant down below (think of it as "optional" reading :D )

1. Don't bad mouth your competitor in town just because your competitors. If you don't have anything nice to say, shut up. Listening to a 15 minute diatribe on what a bafoon the other guy is won't earn my money.

2. Don't tell me that every other piece of gear on the planet save what is sold in your store, is junk. It removes your credibility and demotes you to used car salesman, not dive shop operator.

3. Organized dive trips can be fun for some people, but not for me. I don't like crowds and usually prefer to do my own thing. So please, stop pushing that "total bargain" trip to Belize for $3K. I am going the week after you for half that.

4. Stop bad mouthing online sales. I have bought THOUSANDS of dollars worth of gear online and any problem was rapidly resolved by the online retailer. I don't have any pity for you anyways since you screwed me with your 80% markups prior to online sales. I figure this is your "just desserts".

Other than the "just desserts" part, I entirely agree! I am willing to support my LDS for the benefit of local service to my gear, their experience and knowledge, etc., so I have been known to pay a premium price. In fact, due to the fact that I'm new to this hobby (got certified last April) and I got a NICE BONUS check that was unexpected, I dropped over $5000 at my LDS last year and got my BC, Titan Reg, Suunto computer with compass, etc... This year, I went to scubatoys.com and got myself a CANDY PURPLE TANK that was just too pretty :D Scubatoys inspected it before shipping it and shipped it with a plug. My LDS removed their VIP sticker (LEAVING THE STICKY RESIDUE mind you) and replaced it with their own informing me that scubatoys' VIP was worthless and that would be $16 please. This is not the only story, just the most recent and petty. They are upset because I paid $135 for a pretty tank when they wanted to sell me a plain silver one for $199 PLUS TAX. They already warned me that the tank was possibly sub-standard. And yes, it just simply reduces them to car salesman status. Sadly, I hear more and more of my fellow local divers saying the same things about our LDS. That's kinda what happens, tho, when you're the only game in town and you're landlocked.

I see good and bad in the LDS's in my area.

I guess I feel sorry for some of the owners who just don't get it. I must be scary to have the business which puts food on your table and clothes on your children's backs start to struggle in the face of a changing business environment.

I think that some owners just don't have the tools to cope with the changes. I'm not condoning the behavior of some LDS's rather just saying that I understand it.

Maybe some of you business savvy people should develop a sustainable business model in which a dive shop can succeed in today’s diving world and then hit the seminar circuit.

In the long run it is in all of our best interest to see the LDS's survive. And no, it's not about the air fills! :D
Jeffrey

freediver:
Before going "independent", I put my time in at a "reputable" dive store. During a discussion one day, the owner made it clear saying that "My (the owner) money was in their (consumer) pocket, it was up to him to find a way to separate the two". With this mentality, I'm not surprised at the responses from the LDS's. Dissapointed, but not surprised.

Taken from your comments above...
My money is in the consumers pocket and it's up to me find a way to get the consumer to voluntarily exchange some of that money for the services and products I offer.

I worded your statement a little differently on purpose. That statement, in and of itself, is not a bad thing at all. I'm in sales and there are lots of those kinds of maxims. Some people would call it capitalism.

I know what you're saying but I think the difference is the behavior of the individuals, be them employees or owners. One can choose to be coercive, dishonest, fradulant, corrupt and even mendacious. Those behaviors are big time turnoffs. Or, one can choose to behave in a better way.

There are people in the world who behave poorly. Obviously, you are not one of them and in my own experiences I've found few. Thankfully.

I think I'll go lurk around in the Kudo's forum.

I go to the same LDS as Crisis_12 and he is right, there are few really good people in there and a couple of really bad ones. I felt like i walked into a alternate universe today. The dive shop walked into did not have any expectations and did spend the time with me, And when I asked about a deal on back plate and wing with rigging and doubles he told me when I was ready he would give me a good deal but that he wanted to see me get a few more dives under my belt before I went down the teche route. That in its self told me he wanted the sale but he was also worried about my saftey. So i signed up for 2 classes. Refreshing.

cygnus4815:
If you want to do a service to others in your dive community, print out what you just wrote (maybe edit it first to take out some of the 'rant' feeling) and give it to the owner of the bad LDS. Maybe if he knows what your perception of his service is, and that you and possibly others are willing to drive hours out of their way to use another dive shop, he may change some policies.

If nothing else, it may make you feel better knowing that he's aware that he's losing customers because of his attitude/actions.

David

I've tried to broach the subject but the owner can be VERY defensive. I tried the "I" words and didn't point fingers, but the problem with using "I" statements is that the person can take the perspective that it is you who have the problem, not them.

There are a couple of good folks at the shop but they seem to be out of the power loop-one is too junior to have much say and the other is being pushed aside-as far as I can see. (I refuse to get into the politics of the store, so I can't be sure why...)

If I wanted the confrontation, and I think there would be some, I could do as you suggest, David. My gut reaction is that I should just pop smoke, but I'll give the letter a thought. The worst that can happen is that I'll be branded as a dirty disloyal SOB.

So put it in writing. Don't put any details in it that can identify you. Then mail it to the shop annonymously.

The closest LDS to my house is exactly as described in the opening rant. The rest are pretty good. I go to them.

I'm a mountain biker also, and some bike shops suffer from the same mentality. Too bad.

Oh, in case you haven't discovered this for yourselves yet, U-Haul is about the worst I've ever seen. I've experienced horrid attitudes and customer service at at least 4 different U-Haul locations (every one that I've ever tried). Fortunately, they are not the monopoly they once were. If I had to though, I would literally pay twice the cost to do business someplace else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom