There's no plaice like home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
Found this pickie of a flatfish thingy while rummaging through some slides
plaice.jpg

May I translate?

A very nice photo of a Flounder...maybe a Peacock Flounder.

Hello,

Let me further translate. Syacium Micrurum Ranzani, i.e. channel flounder, a.k.a. lefteye flounder.

"peacock flounder" It has a gray-brown body covered with bright blue rings, blue dots on the head and fins, usually three dark mid-lateral blotches (the rearmost sometimes missing), and a long and often erect pectoral fin. Large adults usually have dark dorsal, anal, and caudal fins. The lower eye is about an eye diameter anterior to the upper eye. It grows to a length of 18 inches.

"channel flounder" It has an elongate brownish body, often with a scattering of brown or pale rings with dark spots at their centers, and often with 2 or 3 dark spots on the lateral line: one near the pectoral fin, another near the tail base, and sometimes a third one between them. The dorsal and anal fins have widely spaced vertical dark lines. The first (upper) two pectoral fin rays of the male are long. The eyes are closer together than in the species of Bothus. It grows to a length of 18 inches.

Ed

Hello,

The 'peacock flounder' has a wider eye set than the channel flounder. From this image you can't get narrower eye set.

The eyes are closer together than in the species of Bothus.

Bothus = peacock flounder.

Also from this image its' really difficult to get a 100% ID as we would need to know information about the fins.

Ed

And all over a flatfish!!

So, to settle this, can you please all tell me where you find peacock flounders and channel flounders, and I'll tell you where I took the picture!

Also, is this an adult or a juevenile, and then I'll tell you what lens I used!!

Here is a scan of the entire image, as I had cropped in on his/her bonce. Maybe you can glean some more info from that?

Good luck!

plaice2.jpg

Hello,

to determine those things you ask we need a better photo, there is entirely to much croping going on. I would have to guess a 35mm or maybe a 50mm lens was used.

Ed

Is that a mixture between cropping and groping? Cut the edges off while having a good fondle?

Sorry I haven't got a "better photo" Ed, seems none of my photos meet your stringent criteria. Too much backscatter, colour film instead of b&w and now too much croping. I dunno. You're enough to make me give up taking photos. I'll have to think of seomthing else to do while I am diving next time. Perhaps some groping?

Can't help the croping, Ed. It was shot on a 105mm macro. Hence the croping - can't get your average halibut into a 105mm frame, I am afraid.

Anyway, at the end of the day, who cares if it's a peacock flounder, a turbot or a whale shark. It's only a darn fish picture!

Scuba Jim,

I'm sorry if I came across to hard. What I should have said was we would need a photo of the fins to make a good ID. For a non-ID photo the image is good.

There is nothing wrong with using color film underwater. I happen to be partial to b/w film but can enjoy color just as well. I happen to be 50% color blind which is why I prefer b/w film.

Please dont' stop doing photography based on my account. I have some extremely tough mentors, they put on the white glove when I show them anything and it's hard to not follow suit with others. It does rub off on you.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom