there are no whale sharks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually cozumel may be getting a whale shark or two? I was reading in the paper that there is a big project planning on being developed just south of the cruise ship terminals. It will be an area enclosed from the ocean and will have sharks, mantas, whale sharks.... I guess it would be something similar to the atlanta aquarium but in a chankanaab park like setting. Interesting to see when they start construction on it.
stop it, please...!!

Actually Cozumel may be getting a whale shark or two? I was reading in the paper that there is a big project planning on being developed just south of the cruise ship terminals. It will be an area enclosed from the ocean and will have sharks, mantas, whale sharks.... I guess it would be something similar to the Atlanta Aquarium but in a Chankanaab Park like setting. Interesting to see when they start construction on it.

Wonderful. There's nothing divers like more than to see big animals being kept in tanks. I'm very ambivalent about the Georgia Aquarium (it's not called the Atlanta Aquarium) and its whale sharks swimming around and around in circles like, well, any caged animal.

I guess it would be something similar to the Atlanta Aquarium but in a Chankanaab Park like setting.

Will they charge $325 to dive with them for 30 minutes? Can't believe Georgia Aquarium costs so much!

This plan sounds really sad. With all those things not far away in the wild where they can be observed naturally, who would want them penned up? I honestly love zoos and aquariums, but as a way to expose people to nature where there isn't access to it (in hopes that it would encourage conservationist tendencies, and allow research and breeding programs)- especially since most zoos/aquariums are no longer capturing from the wild. But penning something so close to it's natural home so tourists can enjoy is just sad. (Which is why despite really really wanting to, I've never done a dolphin encounter...it just seems wrong. I'm torn on the manatee encounter- but at least they aren't made to do tricks for you.)

From my perusing of the local papers the cruiser numbers are down so it's probably someone's bright idea to get more pod people. They are trying/doing a dolphin park in Grand Turk, again all for the cruiser dollar. That money is like the crack cocaine of tourist dollars. And the islands will lose everytime. The cruise lines are masters of making sure every last penny goes to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No ex-pats organizing against this new facility?

From my perusing of the local papers the cruiser numbers are down so it's probably someone's bright idea to get more pod people. They are trying/doing a dolphin park in Grand Turk, again all for the cruiser dollar. That money is like the crack cocaine of tourist dollars. And the islands will lose everytime. The cruise lines are masters of making sure every last penny goes to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I hate what those huge people barges do to ports. :mad: I know, the locals like their business and still get enough of it to want them, they built a dock & village called Costa Maya - cruise lines own the village but still employ and buy locally some. Mostly they ruin ports. Gawd, wouldn't Coz be nice if they'd never allowed them in there.

I also hate the stingray prison and despise captive dolphin programs, but putting in an even bigger one for sharks?! I so hope it fails, but I may need to be looking at Belize more. :sad:

I took a real close look at the map in the paper of the proposed site. A lot of people here have said it is at Paradise Reef (based on the map picture). I am quite sure and this is my view, it will be at the area around Albertos Beach Bar (after it). You've all seen those 2 big houses in front of La Francesa ( Big white House and The big one that looks like a pyramid....). The development will be beside the big pyramid shaped house so almost at Cedral. There was a lot of development earlier this year on the main highway ( clearing) as well as a lot of clearing of land on the beach. This makes sense now as to why all the land clearing earlier....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom