there are no whale sharks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't doubt that snorkeling with whale sharks in murky water is a great experience-- but I do take issue with misleading advertisements. i guess there are some who don't.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Actually, the ad doesn't claim you can snorkel with whale sharks in Cozumel, it merely asks the question "Wanna snorkel with a whale shark May-Sept in Cozumel???". Of course we wanna. We just can't.

I wondered where all of this came from. Thankfully I am a supporting member of Scubaboard. I don't have to put up with such pedestrian advertisements.

Which you can do here, by the way

We did a trip with the operator in question this July from Cancun. They are the whale shark 'daddy' outfit as they call themselves. They are definitely geared toward pulling in every dollar available. Not a bad thing, and you can't hold it against them, but it definitely effects the experience. They aren't a bad outfit by any means, but in my opinion there is another outfit that caters a bit less to the 'tourist' trade market that we prefer a bit more.

I wondered where all of this came from. Thankfully I am a supporting member of Scubaboard. I don't have to put up with such pedestrian advertisements.
It's really not much of a hardship. They only occupy an inch-and-a-half at the left side of my monitor.

How else can you support ScubaBoard's paid advertising sponsors if you don't see the ads?

It's really not much of a hardship. They only occupy an inch-and-a-half at the left side of my monitor.

How else can you support ScubaBoard's paid advertising sponsors if you don't see the ads?
I pay my support direct, annually. :cool: So I'm red

I have no idea how the idea got out there. BUt whale shark tours can only be operated out of Isla Mujeres or Holbox Island, Which are both major treks from Cozumel. Yes, it can be done but perhaps someone is misleading people

What? It has to be true. They can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 218
Dear Mossman,

You are right, but its an inch and a half of a lie. Or as Dandy Don might say, bait and switch.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora

Actually, bait is a good idea. When will some enterprising Cozumel dive shop decided to cast out a trail of chum leading from Mujeres or Holbox to Cozumel? Lure the big lugs over to your island and then you can reap the profits!

Actually Cozumel may be getting a whale shark or two? I was reading in the paper that there is a big project planning on being developed just south of the cruise ship terminals. It will be an area enclosed from the ocean and will have sharks, mantas, whale sharks.... I guess it would be something similar to the Atlanta Aquarium but in a Chankanaab Park like setting. Interesting to see when they start construction on it.

Back
Top Bottom