Theft - is it a problem in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liz,

Thank you for the update! It is great news that the government finally has some authority to crack down on the few people that are causing all the trouble.

I, like Herman, have been on the island numerous times with NO PROBLEMS. Use common sense and you will be fine.

Enjoy the best shore diving in the world!

There is a very horrible theft problem on Bonaire. Just a single visit to Bonaire will steal your heart and your mind and leave you with a profound case of depression known as Post Bonaire Depression (PBD) upon departing the island. This malady is only curable by a return visit but it gets worse every time.

WARNING - Do Not go to Bonaire unless you are willing to lose your heart and your soul to a force more powerful than you could ever imagine.

I think I've traveled extensively in the Caribbean. Have been going to Bonaire for over 20 years & always followed the 4 simple rules which Herman outlined above. We have never ever had any types of problems there.
Bottom line here is just use good old fashioned common sense. It really works.
**Tom** You are so right and the permanent cure for PBD can by expensive!

dvrliz1:
Just to let you all know that your comments have not gone unanswered by the government here on Bonaire. We are a tourism island and will do all that it takes to make our tourists feel safe, and provide for them as they deserve. No Caribbean island is crime free, and I would have to say considering that you can drive the whole island any time of day or night our crime rate compared to other islands is low.

A theft task force has been formed and is already very active in the community. The have already solved quite a few crimes and arrests have been made with more to come. Also, with the restructuring of the soon to be dismantled "Antilles", the formation of a "beach patrol" is in the works. They will patrol the divesites. I don't have a lot of info on this one yet as it is just in the beginning stages. I promise to keep all up to date. Liz
Now that's a great valantine's day present.
Thanks Liz

Tom Smedley:
There is a very horrible theft problem on Bonaire. Just a single visit to Bonaire will steal your heart and your mind

:heart:

You can put me into the: I haven't had anything stolen in Bonaire column.

I am looking forward to my eventual return to dive it again.

What Herman and Tom said....
Go! The place is incredible....

Diving off a boat and following a DM around are not for me anymore....the freedom of shorediving on Bonaire is fantastic!
More than three weeks on the island-ZERO problems!
Drew

Hey Drew, headed back in July, come go with us.

If anyone is going to be on island in July and would like to join some more divers, drop me a PM, always happy to meet SB members.

herman:
We follow these simple rules:
1. leave vehicle doors unlocked with windows down.
2. Don't carry anything you don't need.
3. leave extra cash, CCs and other items in your room safe.
4. take your dive equipment indoors at night
AB Car Rental, who I rent from, unequivocally recommends that you lock the doors and windows of your vehicle.

They may but local knowledge suggest otherwise. You may find the deductable is high enough that broken windows are in effect not covered. If your are covered to 100% fine, my guess is you are not. Leaving the windows down has worked for me and I will continue to do so until it makes sence not to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom