Theft - is it a problem in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is theft a major problem in Bonaire ... thinking of going there later this year, and seen a number of posts where 'theft'' is mentioned but not a lot of detail.

This seems unusual, as normally island communities have little theft as they can be tracked down quite easily.
Just saw on one site that hire vehicles (typical for Bonaire shore based diving), have signs that tell you not to lock your car - as windows will be smashed in by thieves, and not to leave anything at all in the vehicle.
A bit difficult if both of you are off diving ?

It happens but I don't think it's a major problem. As a group, tourist divers do a pretty good job of teaching the thieves that we have lots of stuff to steal, that we often don't think twice about leaving that stuff laying around and that we'll be gone for an hour. As individuals, if you think defensively, you'll usually be just fine.

You are going to get 2 widely different answers. Some will lead you to believe you will get mugged every few minutes, others will tell you it's not much of a problem. I would suggest you take into consideration the actual experience of those who are making comments, including actual on island experience and time. There are those who have spent very little (or no)time on island and will give all sorts of horror stories....all 2nd or 3rd hand. So... now my opinion.

My experience on island---I have been on island 9 time since 99 with #10 planned in July. I have been with groups ranging from 2 to 24 for a total of 80 person weeks. In all these person weeks we have had ZERO problems. It is true that some people have had vehicles broken into and items stolen. While it should not happen, it does. If you insist on leaving expensive equipment in a vehicle your asking for problems.

We follow these simple rules:
1. leave vehicle doors unlocked with windows down.
2. Don't carry anything you don't need.
3. leave extra cash, CCs and other items in your room safe.
4. take your dive equipment indoors at night

Leaving your truck unlocked is not really a problem. There is no reason to carry anything shore diving that can't go in the water with you. We leave old Tshirts, old shoes and water wrapped up in towels in the bed of the truck in plain view. Everything else goes with us. Money (a couple of $20 and a CC) go in a "waterproof" case. The locals are use to wet money. There is no need to carry anything else, you are rarely more than 5 minutes from your resort if you need anything.

Take the advise you get with a grain of salt, use the simple precautions we use and have fun.

Herman is right on with his simple rules. We recently returned from our first trip to Bonaire, followed these rules, and had zero problems. On our first shore dive, I forgot and wore my ball cap and sunglasses. I stuck them in the little storage area behind the driver's seat, and they were there when we returned. Had they been gone, I would have had no one to blame but myself.

Go and enjoy, Bonaire is wonderful!

Tafflad:
Is theft a major problem in Bonaire ... thinking of going there later this year, and seen a number of posts where 'theft'' is mentioned but not a lot of detail.

This seems unusual, as normally island communities have little theft as they can be tracked down quite easily.
Just saw on one site that hire vehicles (typical for Bonaire shore based diving), have signs that tell you not to lock your car - as windows will be smashed in by thieves, and not to leave anything at all in the vehicle.
A bit difficult if both of you are off diving ?

Try shore diving in Hawaii and see if your vehicle is still there when you return - let alone a ball cap. What about Miami. Going to leave your vehicle unattended for a shore dive there?

DeputyDan:
Try shore diving in Hawaii and see if your vehicle is still there when you return - let alone a ball cap. What about Miami. Going to leave your vehicle unattended for a shore dive there?

In Mexico, it's common to tip kids to watch a car (mainly because you know the kids will break in if you don't tip). I've also been at plenty of beaches in Baja where some guy in a uniform patrols the parking area in exchange for donations. Again, I never felt that the donations were voluntary, but every time I've coughed up a nominal fee, I've never had a break-in. Obviously this wouldn't work if I left a camera or laptop in the car, but it's good enough to secure a cooler, T-shirts, towels, etc., the kind of stuff I'm not sure will still be there if I leave them in a rental truck in Bonaire with the windows rolled down.

It's too bad they can't have a similar system put in place there, where otherwise unemployed kids or senior citizens wanting to pick up a few bucks an hour in tips could work as car monitors. I'd easily pay a couple bucks extra per dive to know that I could leave a few things behind in my car. After all, where I dive locally, I have to pay at least that much into the parking meter and there's no guarantee of security.

We have been to Bonaire 13 times usually for at least 2 weeks and no problems. We take usual precautions that we do anywhere. The potential issue with shore diving is that your truck will often be on it's own with no one around, so the safest thing to do is leave nothing that Tea Leaf would want. We have found Bonaire to be a very safe place to go.

Have a great trip.

Just to let you all know that your comments have not gone unanswered by the government here on Bonaire. We are a tourism island and will do all that it takes to make our tourists feel safe, and provide for them as they deserve. No Caribbean island is crime free, and I would have to say considering that you can drive the whole island any time of day or night our crime rate compared to other islands is low.

A theft task force has been formed and is already very active in the community. The have already solved quite a few crimes and arrests have been made with more to come. Also, with the restructuring of the soon to be dismantled "Antilles", the formation of a "beach patrol" is in the works. They will patrol the divesites. I don't have a lot of info on this one yet as it is just in the beginning stages. I promise to keep all up to date.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom