Theft and Diabetes Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

by test kit do you mean the meter, strips, lancet etc?

It should all fit in one of these - the eyeglass case in particular. I've had the same case for all my cards/cash etc. for over a decade - it doesn't leak.I lube the o-ring with a little silicon grease once a year - the same stuff I use for my video housing.

Witz Scuba Cases - Waterproof Watertight Cases buy at LeisurePro

It should all fit in one of these - the eyeglass case in particular. I've had the same case for all my cards/cash etc. for over a decade - it doesn't leak.I lube the o-ring with a little silicon grease once a year - the same stuff I use for my video housing.

You've been lucky! I've never had one that withstood its first immersion.

I actually have one of those I got years ago on a trip to a water park. Completely forgot about it until I saw your link.

Forgot to respond to your question. Yes I mean the meter, strips and lancet.

Looks promising but pricey. Not as expensive or dangerous as loosing his meter early in the vacation

At the risk of stating the obvious, you're spending thousands of dollars on this trip... The canister I bought came from Australia and cost about $100 by the time it got here. I'm pretty sure that would get you about 3 minutes in a foreign hospital.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you're spending thousands of dollars on this trip... The canister I bought came from Australia and cost about $100 by the time it got here. I'm pretty sure that would get you about 3 minutes in a foreign hospital.
Agreed :)

I am sure there are diabetics on island and so diabetic supples available but buying a new meter there maybe pricey.

Fortunately the depths most divers do on Bonaire do not greatly test most waterproof cases. Even the cheap little twist top key holder we use has proven reliable but as added precaution against moisture we also put the remote in a ziplock bag before putting it in the case.

Lynne if it is not too personal a question, how often will he need to test? And where do you plan to do most of your shore dives. It may also be possible that a nearby shop would keep the meter for you between dives, such as DFs if you shore dive the Cliff, Something Special, Bari, Yellow Submarine...

When on a dive vacation he tests before and after a dive. We anticipate doing all shore dives. That may change once we're on the island. We haven't yet decided which locations. I'm sure he will bring a back up meter. Your suggestion of seeking a dive shop to hold the meter is a good one.

I have the Shore Diving book (can't remember the whole title). We plan to pick out easy entry dives. Neither of us have a lot of shore diving experience.

We're doing a Rescue Diver course in July. That will give us an opportunity to test some of the options with a number of his older meters.

Back
Top Bottom