Theft and Diabetes Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lj, I'm familiar with the process, the equipment, the expense. Most doctors give away a meter kit to their patients initially--and that meter kit is often one requiring expensive refills because "Hey, I'm just a dumb doctor, I give away what the drug companies give me, why should I know anything about money?".

And again, part of Walmart's strategy to get shoppers is to use the least expensive test gear on the market, to capture those patients as customers. Very much like a supermarket's weekly loss leaders. Sam Walton was very sharp about these things. Which is also why I suggest he get a Relion kit (and they come in varying styles and prices, the cheapest one is as accurate as anything on the market.)

Theft cannot be an issue if he is taking the kit on a boat dive. Waterproofing cannot be an issue if that kit is being left on the boat, even a peanut butter jar is waterproof enough on a boat. Similarly, there is minimal cost risk if a spare Relion kit is stashed someplace in a car that is parked near your dive site. The kit is small and can easily be stashed, literally, up under a dashboard, on in the engine compartment, or tucked into a seat cushion. Literally.

Similarly with the supplies. There's no need to take a full pack of 50 test strips on a day trip for a dive. Leave four or six in the container, put the other 45 in another container from the same lot. No big deal, no big risk.

The Relion "Confirm" strips are $42 per 100 on Amazon, possibly less in the Walmart store. If he leaves TEN in the car, that's still just risking $4.20, plus a ten or fifteen dollar complete meter kit. And they are proven to be just as accurate, just as convenient, as the most expensive ones on the market. And they also have some of thinnest lancet needles available, equally competitive.

His doctor won't get any golf junkets from Walmart.(G)

@Rred, thanks for the info! My husband is convinced I am WAY over thinking this thing. I'm convinced he's not planning enough :) The Relion sounds like a great alternative. His current meter is tied to his pump. I keep ignoring the fact that he won't be wearing his pump. Freedom!

We intend to do all shore dives. That may change later in the week. I'm glad to hear you say we can hide the meter. I have visions of folks tearing apart the truck to find anything worth stealing:)

@Rred, thanks for the info! My husband is convinced I am WAY over thinking this thing. I'm convinced he's not planning enough :) The Relion sounds like a great alternative. His current meter is tied to his pump. I keep ignoring the fact that he won't be wearing his pump. Freedom!

We intend to do all shore dives. That may change later in the week. I'm glad to hear you say we can hide the meter. I have visions of folks tearing apart the truck to find anything worth stealing:)

When are you going to Bonaire? Be sure to let us know what you decide and how it worked for you, have a great trip!

When are you going to Bonaire? Be sure to let us know what you decide and how it worked for you, have a great trip!
Thanks @KathyV . We'll be there Oct 20 - 27. Can't wait! I'll be sure to report back to the group :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom