Thead Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuybregts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

So, I'm looking to start sewing my own gear and I'll be using various strengths of coated nylon for the fabric, what do you guys recommend for the thread that can handle the rigors of diving/salt water/uv? (for beginning projects, I'll be doing pockets, SMBs etc.)

Thanks!

Chris
edit: crap, i misspelled thread... argh!

Same here, nylon upholstery thread, colors seem to be limited but black is easy to find. I usually pull it doubled over for a 2X stitch.

Pete

Yup Nylon Upholstery thread, I use coats and Clarke, fits through a 100-16 needle and works on my home sewing machine... I get occasional strife with the extra thickness... but generally it works well.

hint: you can use a lighter to make off the ends, cut to 1" and light the end of the nylon, lick finger and extinguish when it gets to 1/8 above the fabric. Lick finger well!

R

spectrum:
Same here, nylon upholstery thread, colors seem to be limited but black is easy to find. I usually pull it doubled over for a 2X stitch.

Pete

I have purchased thread at a local outdoor fabric store and they recommended Polyester thread as it is naturally UV resistant. I know you don't usually leave gear out in the sun but being out doors does take it's toll on fabric and thread. I also believe polyester has less give/stretch than nylon - not sure about that though. Nylon may be better suited to work on wetsuit seams etc. The heavier threads to look for are 96, 69 and 42 (usually found in regular fabric store) from heavy to less so. I would use the heavier (96 or 69) weights for pockets, webbing and the like.

Back
Top Bottom