The Ultimate Bonaire Crime Poll

Ever personally been a victim of crime on Bonaire?

• I live or own property there - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several of my posts got removed in the general cleaning. No big deal. Expected that of some of them, anyway, as we did get off course a bit.

I saw this post about attempting to curb shore dive thefts on Curacao.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/330824-curacao-security-beaches.html

Not sure how effective this could be in many of Bonaire's sites, as they are spread out along the entire west and north coast of the island and some are quite isolated and hard to monitor.

So since you are now interpereting the results of this poll you obviously have adjusted the joke answers of which even you are one? On a mobile browser I am unable to see the poll but last I checked there was not a single person that had voted experiencing a crime. Other than the joke answer "never been but was robbed anyways".

So unless a lot of victims suddenly came forward, I would say you have interpereted these results as well as every other Bonaire crime statistic....which is to say, not well.
What are you talking about?

Your phone must have been purchased in Bonaire and won't show you any details that are associated with crime.

At the time I posted that there was a ratio of 1:10 in numbers of victims of a crime to not a victim, leaving out the last 3 joke answers.

As of right now the poll reads

1-5 visits - Never been a victim of crime on Bonaire
clear.gif
1-5 visits - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire once
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
1-5 visits - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire multiple times
clear.gif
More than 5 visits - Never been a victim of crime on Bonaire
clear.gif
More than 5 visits - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire once
clear.gif
More than 5 visits - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire multiple times
clear.gif
I live or own property there - Never been a victim of crime on Bonaire
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
clear.gif
I live or own property there - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
There once not a victim of crime, but everyone I talk to at dive sites has been a victim
clear.gif
Never been there, but I was a victim of crime on Bonaire multiple times 10
12.50%Is this poll about Cozumel?
bar6-r.gif
clear.gif
I have no personal experience with crime on Bonaire, but ANYWHERE is safer than Bonaire
bar1-l.gif
bar1-r.gif
clear.gif

The ratio now reads

4: 57

or

1:14

What are you talking about?

Your phone must have been purchased in Bonaire and won't show you any details that are associated with crime.

Now let us not get silly. If I had purchased my phone in Bonaire, you and I both know that they would have stolen it back before I left the island.

Try logging in using the SB Mobile Skin.....no poll information. I stand by my eating crow because of my inability to see the stats on the weekend.

Reorganisation for police and fire brigade on Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba

June 9, 2010
MinBZK (english) - Reorganisation for police and fire brigade on Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba

New status for The Netherlands Antilles

Reorganisation for police and fire brigade on Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba

Following a proposal from Minister Ter Horst, State Secretary Bijleveld and Justice Minister Hirsch Ballin, the cabinet has agreed to a bill for a reorganisation of the police and fire brigade on Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba. The legislative change is intended to take effect from the time that these islands become Dutch municipalities.

The bill is based on one police and one fire brigade organisation for Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba. The bill provides for one administrator for the police and one for the fire brigade. In both cases that will be the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations. The three Lieutenant Governors of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba will remain responsible for maintaining public order and commanding the fire brigade.

The bill also provides for one dispatch centre for the police, fire brigade and ambulance for the three islands together. The islands are currently preparing for the intended changes. The Dutch police and fire brigade region of Haaglanden are supporting the local police and fire brigade by introducing improvements. The Royal Netherlands Military Constabulary is already active on the islands. The Constabulary will continue to play a role in the future. For instance, the bill provides that the Constabulary will perform permanent police tasks on Saba and Sint Eustatius.

The Cabinet has agreed that the bill will be submitted to the Council of State for its opinion. The texts of the bill and the Council of State’s opinion will be made public after they have been submitted to the Lower House.

Full Article with links... (Thanks to dvrliz)

MinBZK (english) - New status for The Netherlands Antilles

New status for The Netherlands Antilles

Constitutional reform in the Kingdom of the Netherlands towards a new status for the Netherlands Antilles is currently in progress. An accord to finalize the new status was signed at the Round Table Conference in Willemstad on the 15th of December 2008. The islands of Curaçao and Sint Maarten will become autonomous territories, while Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius will become Dutch municipalities.

Besides constitutional reform, the focus is on public finances, the economy, law enforcement and good governance.

The four elements of the transition process:

Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba are to become public authorities of the Netherlands (the Netherlands is responsible for this process);
St Maarten and Curaçao are to attain country status (the governments of St Maarten and Curaçao are responsible for the political and administrative organisation of the island as a separate country);
Consensus is to be reached on a Kingdom Law governing the new status of the islands (the Netherlands is taking the lead, but the preparations and details will be prepared jointly in two multilateral project groups);
The Netherlands Antilles is to be dismantled (the Netherlands Antilles is responsible for this process).

We've never been victims of petty crime in any of our travels outside the USA. This includes three trips each to Bonaire and Curacao and St. Croix (i kept it on-topic by mentioning Bonaire first).

The closest we ever came to being victims of petty crime was in 1996 in New Orleans (CONUS) when I had a tourist map sticking out of my back pocket and a street hustler kept hollering at me as we disembarked from the paddleship ride returning from the Audobon zoo. No crime actually occurred.

Steve,
Just want to thank you for all the amazing pictures and videos you have posted.
I love Bonaire and I'm going back in June, the 6th thru the 13th. This will be my 6th time
in 2 1/2 years. I got certified at the Black Durgon which is my favorite place to be.
I'm 57 years old and my husband and I can't get enough of the island and it's people.
I feel safe and have never had a problem, just use common sense like most of the people do. I loved the poll that was started and the numbers just go to show, there is no place like Bonaire. Thanks again for the great pics, I'll be looking at all of them. Just had to say THANKS!!! Barb

Actually, I am interested in reading about some of those who have been a victim once or multiple times... What were the circumstances, etc. If they haven't already posted their story.

On my 6th trip someone stole my 20 yr old black nylon shorts from the truck on a dive up north. The next day driving along the road we found them sitting on a stone wall with a rock on top of them. So technically I was a victim - with a recovery.

On the same trip, on the south end, friends had their trucks rummaged through and an old Tilley Hat and sunglasses stolen.

Trip 7 in 2 months.............

Eye zee, zat zer iz no zectzione to check fur if dein Fuhurers U-Boot had been stolen from dein backgamben of his pickenzeis upm mein troken knocken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom