The Ultimate Bonaire Crime Poll

Ever personally been a victim of crime on Bonaire?

• I live or own property there - I was a victim of crime on Bonaire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No statistics course in college?

Now we are going to go off on a tangent about validity and theory of statics? Let's not.

Wow, this is a way harder question then I ever thought. It's pretty innocent, not sure what the problem is, it's just asking your personal opinion based on what the poll is demonstrating as the statistics. It's not even higher level math.

So far you have 73 respondents. 67 of the 73 have had no experience with crime on Bonaire and 6 of the 73 have. That's 6:67 or 1:11 ratio or 9% of people who have responded to the poll or in other words :

a crime rate of 9%
1 chance out of 11 of being a victim of a crime

Nothing too difficult here guys.

Simple question - based on the answers to your poll so far is that good or bad?

I think you should calculate as follows.

Out of the 145 trips ((52*1) +(3*1) + (15*5) + (2*5) + (5*1)) people have taken (and this is the minimum that is possible), 10 have been the victim of a crime (and this is the maximum that is possible).
This gives a percentage of 7

I rewrote it for you steve in the above post to make it easier.

And the 2 statements you are quoting are identical. Become objective and you have nothing to fear. You don't have to stand on one side of the issue or the other, you can be objective and read the data and make statements based off of it.

That is objective observation. (That's the part that you guys have the most trouble with. You have a pre-disposed 'side' to the issue or a pre-disposed outlook, so no matter what the data or 'evidence' of anything is you can't be objective because that would cause you to have to reconsider your outlook on the issue, which you can't do, cause, damn it, it's the internet and me and scuba be-bop, and cool diver and Janet are all on the same side!!!) LOL

Actually Mike the problem is that nothing that you type on the topic of Bonaire is objective. I have seen one post which I now believe you had someone else type because it seems to be beyond you. You will not accept that someone else has other views and that is fine. You have shut down another and this time without your buddy PiFi. You are growing up so fast.

I can't believe how a tiny island in the Caribbean can cause such a fuss. You would almost think it was shaped like a split fin or a snorkel.

It is a ScubaBoard poll not a schoolyard. Take it for what CoolTech intended it to be.

BTW for those playing with percentages, you can't just add up the number of responses and draw conclusions from that. (Well, I guess you can if you want.) You need to know the number of actual trips each poster represents.

Got sucked into the vortex....Bonaire crime lords just emptied your garage. Actually they just wanted the shorts back :rofl3:

I can't believe how a tiny island in the Caribbean can cause such a fuss. You would almost think it was shaped like a split fin or a snorkel.

It is a ScubaBoard poll not a schoolyard. Take it for what CoolTech intended it to be.

BTW for those playing with percentages, you can't just add up the number of responses and draw conclusions from that. (Well, I guess you can if you want.) You need to know the number of actual trips each poster represents.

Now 8:72

1:9

1 visit out of 9 statistically speaking you're gonna be a victim.

Uh oh.

I'm guessing more than on PM is flying around cursing whomever started this poll.

Now 8:72

1:9

1 visit out of 9 statistically speaking you're gonna be a victim.

Uh oh.

I'm guessing more than on PM is flying around cursing whomever started this poll.
... and like many, many of your posts... you would yet again be incorrect :shakehead:

I am editing this post to make my statement more clear...

You have indicated that you have "Never been there, but I was a victim of crime on Bonaire multiple times". In a thread that calls itself "The Ultimate Bonaire Crime Poll", It would be ridiculous to have one available answer for persons who have never visited Bonaire. It has no use in a poll attempting to gather statistics. It would be fairly obvious from the 12 (so far) respondents who chose this answer to that they see the fallacy of such a poll, and are having some fun with it as many others are having...

Several of the answers for "The Ultimate Bonaire Crime Poll" fall into the "absurd" category... It should be fairly obvious as to which potential answers are "absurd" and how many selected those answers...

I would also expect an actual poll to delve deeper into the question and ascertain just how many visits each individual made to Bonaire, and how many times they were a victim of crime...

Right now, this poll has a +- 100% error possibility based on the actual number of trips taken...

Example:

If everyone who responded with answer 1 have visited Bonaire 5 times each, the visit to crime ratio is very much different than you state.... make the other assertions of "More than 5 visits" to equal 100 visits and the poll goes through the roof

58x5 = 290
100x15 = 1500

So, by my calculations 8:1790 or .04% possibility of becoming a victim of crime on Bonaire...

... You should be seeing the point without showing any more examples... I would at least think anyone with a rational mind can see it based on this post at least... If not... well...

Last edited:
... and like many, many of your posts... you would yet again be incorrect :shakehead:

Any information presented anywhere will be twisted in any manner possible to make him feel like his cause is just.

Any information presented anywhere will be twisted in any manner possible to make him feel like his cause is just.
I am going to edit my post to include how originally, he was part of the "fun" of the poll...

Edit: There, I have made the statement transparent. Any additional claims about the "stats" should be given the levity they deserve

Last edited:
I would also expect an actual poll to delve deeper into the question and ascertain just how many visits each individual made to Bonaire, and how many times they were a victim of crime...

Let me fix that for you...

Since this poll has pretty much back fired and made me look foolish, I better throw up a smoke screen by saying : I would also expect an actual poll to delve deeper into the question and ascertain just how many visits each individual made to Bonaire, and how many times they were a victim of crime...further if the poll had ended up as we had hoped I would not be making myself seem so desparate by having to denounce it.

There you go, you're welcome.

Hey, is one of you way over due to make some ridiculous demand of somebody to prove something to you by showing you where something was said or quoted? Seems like it's been a few days since one of you has mistakenly thought anyone was paying attention. One of you might want to get on that. Must have been a Next Generation marathon on or something on the sci-fi channel over the last couple of days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom