The Truth about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course there are perks to the organizers, along lots of hours put into making and event this size happen.
What are those perks, that is private.

I can tell you ScubaBoard does not make a dime off this event.

Ok, let me be perfectly clear there is no profit for ScubaBoard or anyone organizing the Invasion.

Why is it a big deal if SB got something out of it. Why shouldn't SB get something out of it? SB could use some cash right? Why not let the trip support a great thing like SB?

You got free stuff but it wasn't a profit? :confused: Who cares? You got everyone a good deal for a fun event. Seriously. I never read it was a non-profit trip. You don't have to tell what you got, but don't be ashamed of getting something for your effort. I don't think you have to justify whether the value to hours invested compared.

If we go again, I want to make sure we do get grouped by experience level, we were definitely on a mixed group from extremely experience to brand new newbies. It was all good, but if we go again, I would want to make sure to actually be grouped by experience this time. Perhaps was my own fault as my profile was very lacking at that time, or perhaps I missed an email or PM about experience levels when the boats were being grouped?

The groups rotating on the boats was a really great feature of last year, really enjoyed that part, allways meeting new divers every day on the boat.
I think you contradicted yourself in the same breath. :confused:

I think you contradicted yourself in the same breath. :confused:

"New" meant new people, not necessarily newbie diver, just a new group that you haven't dived with yet. "dived" really means shared a boat ride. Two groups of 8 on the boat for a total of 16 all together. You splashed with your group of 8 every day, and the other new group of 8 splashed with their DM.

As for small boats, I'd love to hear any details about how to get small/fast boats in the mix. Last year we were mistakenly under the impression a small boat was in the rotation and that would be our chance to get to some advanced sites due to the boat being fast and could get there and back in time and stay on the schedule, however small boat never appeared.

This was wrong on my part. I checked my log book and there was a small boat on rotation, we were on it on Wed. Just want to clear that up, they did have a small boat in the rotation, my mistake.

I have had a little experience at grouping divers by experience levels, matching to the boats, and those individuals saying they want to switch so they can dive with so-and-so. What a headache. I admire Card for putting up with all of this. :medal:

I guess I'm also wondering, if this is really just like any other dive trip where the organizers get perks and freebies, why are these "Invasion" trips exempt from the Scubaboard rules that prohibit commercial advertising of trips except in the appropriate marketplace forum?

When I plan my trip will I be afforded the same courtesy as cardzard and ROXANNE, to be able to promote my trip daily in the Cozumel forum, free banner advertising, "borrow" a few of JLyle's photos without telling him, etc., just so long as I associate it with Scubaboard and give Netdoc a freebie so he shows up? Cool. I'll start planning right away. How does next May sound? We can call it "Scubaboard Incursion 2012".

I guess I'm also wondering, if this is really just like any other dive trip where the organizers get perks and freebies, why are these "Invasion" trips exempt from the Scubaboard rules that prohibit commercial advertising of trips except in the appropriate marketplace forum?

When I plan my trip will I be afforded the same courtesy as cardzard and ROXANNE, to be able to promote my trip daily in the Cozumel forum, free banner advertising, "borrow" a few of JLyle's photos without telling him, etc., just so long as I associate it with Scubaboard and give Netdoc a freebie so he shows up? Cool. I'll start planning right away. How does next May sound? We can call it "Scubaboard Incursion 2012".

I guess I'm wondering why you felt it necessary to drop in here and crap all over their event?

Ok, I don't understand why you think this is my trip.

Here are some FACTS
The Invasion is ScubaBoards (not cardzards) OFFICIAL yearly event for members to attend.
This will be year #7, the first 5 were held in Key largo.
I was asked by NetDoc to Organize this event.
The board can put any banner it choose to promote it own event on its own board.

I suggest you run your plans by NetDoc, who owns ScubaBoard and see where that goes.

Please feel free to not attend.

Scubaboard needs a dive trip like this, done for SB, by SB standards, etc. Card seems to be doing a helluva job and putting up with all this caca so admirably. :shakehead:

Mossman, if you dont like the invasion setup, plans, ect, and can do better and know of better, then feel absolutely free to do just that. And quit your @#$%$& whining. Nobody said you had to be in love with it. You dont like how it is set up, then go somewhere else; just quit trolling this thread.

My only complaint from last year's event was that there were no coolers filled with:
3868129351_39b02c27f7.jpg

This year, we are finally getting that so it promises to be a better trip! :D

Hey Mike I've got two words for you: Ooha! Ooha!
It works so much better in person.

Back
Top Bottom