The Truth about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman, I can understand that this type of trip is not your cup of tea, but why come in trying to stir up trouble if you never had any intention of joining the trip?
I just wanted to be certain I had made the right choice.

Seriously, after the other thread re Dive Paradise, I was genuinely curious about who got what out of the trip. I asked a simple question and would have been fine with a simple answer. Unfortunately, others had to comment on the subject of my question, which led to my comments on their comments, and so on, and so on. See how that works?

I was on the island at the same time, but I prefer to dive with a better dive op, stay in better accommodations, and not dive with 100 other people, so yes, I obviously and purposely missed it.

It's hardly fitting in. My prior trip to Cozumel before this June's, we had a very nice meet and greet of 10 or so people and I got to dive with several of them. I've been closely confined with other divers on 11 week-or-more liveaboards, many 2-3 day local dive boats, and lots of group trips with or without dive shops, and have made friends most of the time, some lasting. I can hold my own just fine whether it's on the boat swapping dive stories, underwater riding currents, or at the bar drinking whatever. But if 3 is a crowd, 100 is definitely a crowd. No thank you. Nothing personal, but you can pay cardzard and ROXANNE all you want for them to run huge group trips, I'll do my own thing and have a fine time.

Well, you have a fine time. It was nice talking with you.

I just wanted to be certain I had made the right choice.

Seriously, after the other thread re Dive Paradise, I was genuinely curious about who got what out of the trip. I asked a simple question and would have been fine with a simple answer. Unfortunately, others had to comment on the subject of my question, which led to my comments on their comments, and so on, and so on. See how that works?

Well I would still have a drink with you, except I hear you are hard core and would just get me in trouble.

People, people... we can disagree and remain friends. CardZard doesn't plan trips the same way Mossman does. That's OK, its why I chose CardZard to lead this trip over lots of others, including Mossman. Its a decision that I don't regret. I think it's safe to say that Its a decision that 90+ other ScubaBoardians don't regret either. If I had to do it all over again, you can be sure that I would choose CardZard once more. Oh yeah, I did that already and we ARE doing it again, only this time there will be more people having even more fun. I'm sorry if our having fun upsets you: Toughie Kaboombas. We're going to go again in spite of any protestations.

images

In reality, most of the trips that CZ planed were done without any perks going to him. I saw how he had taken people all over the Caribbean and even when I saw others following in his footsteps and snagging the very same deals for their group. He proved himself time and time again to be resourceful, successful and FUN! Complaints were at a dead minimum and fun was at an extreme maximum. Good stuff, no matter how you cut it. When I approached CZ about doing the trip last year, I insisted on him taking the perks. His initial answer was "NO!" I kept at it until I got a "Yes!" The very best leaders are often the ones who don't want the responsibility. :D Did CZ take on this job JUST to get to the perks? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Get real. His love of diving and the ScubaBoard community are the real reasons CZ spent his vacation with 97 of his closest friends. That being said, CZ stepped up his planning more than a notch, and he needs to be compensated for it. End of story.

As for our choice of venue... We support those who support ScubaBoard. Dive Paradise took a gamble on us years ago, and they have stuck with us over the years. In fact, if anyone wants to have an invasion on their turf, they will HAVE to be an advertiser as well. It only makes sense. That doesn't stop them from using the market place to organize their own events on ScubaBoard. In fact, we encourage people, including Mossman, to do just that. Its free, its effective and you can have your own brand of fun sans the perks. Who knows? If you do the job really well, I might be asking you to lead an invasion at some point. You can always say "No" just like CZ! :D

As an interesting caveat, past invasions actually cost Scubaboard up to $3,000 to host them in the Keys. Was it fair for me to pay for other's fun? No and even though I didn't gripe about it, Scubaboard really couldn't afford it either. Its funny that I don't see anyone, including Mossman complaining about my losses. This was only the second invasion to be run at absolutely no cost to ScubaBoard including staff participation. That's how it should be, at least until I hit the lotto.

Bottom line: if the event piques your interest and you want to have a lot of FUN for a little money, then come and join us. No, you don't have to buy me a drink, in fact: the first one is on me and I'll convince CZ to buy the second round! However, if it doesn't interest you, then find something that does. There are thousands of dives being planned on ScubaBoard. I am certain one will prove to be what you are looking for. Just don't piss on the ones you don't want to go on. That's just bad form.

Well said, except I didn't think he was 'pissing' on it per se. Hey but its your board, so if that pissing, pissing that it is! As a side note, thank goodness CZ is running them now. At least SB is breaking even. That 3k in the red is crazy talk. (But if you are subsidizing again let me know....) :D

Sheesh Greg, what's up yer craw dude? So what if there are perks? So what if CZ got some perks for putting up with the likes of me. So what if he was compensated with free dives and a room for o lets say 200 hours of work. Hm he paid a lot for his dives. What a ding bat. He must like diving. A lot I would say. While I could nit pic about some things that erked me it was a great job he did putting last years show on. That's the bottom line. He did a great job. I dont like him because he wouldnt let me put my scavenger hunt stuff in, I was a half hour late, (I would have won) but that's beside the point. He had rules and I was asleep apparently when he gave them out, I also dont apparently read well because they where written out, the rules that is. O I wonder how long that took to do. Hmmm what perk did you get for that Dennis?(Writing the rules out that is). Hmmm, well I dont really care, you deserved anything that Apple threw your way. Or should I say Petes' way and then to you.I hope you have a great time again. You deserve it Dennis, and gang.

Aren't you always a half hour late? :shakehead:

It occurred to me as I wrote my response that we are missing two important smilies:

:hatin:

:hatin:

:success:

:success:

Enjoy!

I have no dog in this hunt but just wanted to thank SB and CZ for organizing the Invasion trips whether we are talking about the Keys or Cozumel. I have not been on one and had hoped the 2012 trip would be an option but the week of 7-4 does not work for me:( I have organized a few golf and scuba trips ranging in length from 3 to 7 days but only for 8 people or less. Between work and family, even these trips (some using a travel agent) were a PITA and took up a good bit of time. It does not matter how organized you are and how much information has been distributed or made available, someone still has to respond to inquiries, discuss issues with the travel agent, talk to vendors regarding door prizes, arrange dive schedules, and the list can expand. I cannot imagine how much time CZ has to take with 90+ people. For that, I say thank you and take advantage of whatever perks are available.

Back
Top Bottom