The Truth about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I felt this thread was needed to answer the Rumors and Innuendos about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Cozumel Invasion. Since I am in charge of this event these are the facts.

We are returning to Dive Paradise and Hotel Cozumel because they did a AWESOME job with last years event. THEY TREATED US LIKE FAMILY, please post where a member who attended last years event said they did not have a blast. We had 95 people there last year without problems.

FACTS:

Does Dive Paradise advertise with ScubaBoard, absolutely. They have supported this board for many years. WAY BEFORE THE INVASION and anyone inferring this is a inside deal is way off base.

Invasion is a IN OR OUT deal, the whole idea is to allow ScubaBoard members from around the world to meet face to face and share a week of fun and diving.
(There is a private group Cocktail party and Dinner.)

NO you cannot book as a non diver and dive with another dive op.
NO you cannot book directly yourself, you must book thru Bay Adventures.
Yes I will exclude you from the event when I find out.

We gave away over 7 thousand dollars in prizes last year and I will not allow people doing their own thing to be included.

Diving facts

I have access to every boat in the Dive Paradise fleet and they will get me more if I need them. I have a commitment of 100% cooperation from Apple the owner and her staff.

Dive Paradise has large and small boats.

The boat votes where to go, there are NO EXCLUDED site except the very advance site but I can have smaller boats take members there.

Drivers are broken up into groups of 8, this the maximum allowed for each DiveMaster which is required to dive in the marine park. You will always dive in groups of 8 or less.

There was a maximum of 2 groups per boat (16 divers).

Divers are grouped according to their experience level. I make the list for the groups not the dive op.

Dive groups rotate boats so they get the chance to dive with other member. We try to allow as many members to dive together as possible.

This year your DiveMaster will rotate boats with your group.

First diver out of air everyone goes up is NOT their policy with our group, we go up when the DiveMaster says. All my dives last year were handled in this manner.
Only exception I can recall is on night dives for obvious reasons.

There are 2 rinse tanks and showers at the dock and gear lockers are right there also.
I am really not sure how much easier they could make it.

The time for boats leaving the dock is set by me.

If there is any other facts or question please do not hesitate to ask.

The official Invasion Package link for the Invasion is Stuck to the top of this section of the board.
The official thread can be found here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-cozumel-2012/396108-invasion-central.html

There are many folks that help to put an event this large together, so I do not do this by myself. However if you are looking for FACTS about what happens during the Invasion, I am the person to ask.

I also realize that others have their favorite dive op's in Cozumel which is great, please feel free to keep supporting them. I will however say that Dive Paradise is mine.

There is a reason they are the oldest and largest dive op in Cozumel.

cardzard: DP is the right choice for an event as large as the Invasion was last year & promises to be again. While it may be the largest op here, it's not the oldest. I believe Tom founded DP around 1984.The "oldest" distinction belongs to Aqua Safari, which started serving divers in 1966.

First diver out of air everyone goes up is NOT their policy with our group, we go up when the DiveMaster says. All my dives last year were handled in this manner.
Only exception I can recall is on night dives for obvious reasons.

Hey CZ,
I read your thing and I get it and all, but what does this mean? They send the first airhog up, but you won't necessarily dive your whole tank? Just wondering how they work it.

And maybe you ought to find a way to include other SB'ers that might be around. You wouldn't have to let them in on the free stuff and of course make them pay À la carte and all.

Hey CZ,
I read your thing and I get it and all, but what does this mean? They send the first airhog up, but you won't necessarily dive your whole tank? Just wondering how they work it.

Ok I'll try to be clearer
The first person and their buddy low on air will follow the group from their safety stop depth then surface and be picked up by the boat. The rest of the group will continue until the Divemaster call for everyone to go up.
I cannot give you an exact bottom time for each dive but will say all my dives were over 45 minutes BT last year.
I hope this helps.

And maybe you ought to find a way to include other SB'ers that might be around. You wouldn't have to let them in on the free stuff and of course make them pay À la carte and all.

Sorry, but that will not be happening. That is just impossible to manage and we are busy taking care of those who are part of the Invasion crew. This event is open for all to join with the package until space is gone.

I know this answer may rub some the wrong way, however with a event this size there has to be rules. Our goal is to make the Invasion crew have a wonderful time.

CZ,

That does help on the BT policy.

I hear you on the all or nothing. I was just thinking of the people who live or own on the island who wouldn't be needing a hotel or whatever. I guess if one of our trips coincides with the Invasion, we will have to host the alt.scubaboard dinner at WW's or something. :rofl3: Maybe we can pirate a video feed to watch it....

cvchief, I do not think you are required to be with the group 24/7. If you choose to meet friends on the island for dinner instead of doing something with the group I think everyone will be ok with it. It just that any group activities such as diving, hotel reservations and any other group activities are restricted to official invasion crew, and I think it should be that way for a group this size. They had around 100 people this year, and I suspect they might have a lot more next year.

Cardzard, if my understanding is not correct I apologize.

cvchief, I do not think you are required to be with the group 24/7. If you choose to meet friends on the island for dinner instead of doing something with the group I think everyone will be ok with it. It just that any group activities such as diving, hotel reservations and any other group activities are restricted to official invasion crew, and I think it should be that way for a group this size. They had around 100 people this year, and I suspect they might have a lot more next year.

Cardzard, if my understanding is not correct I apologize.

You are exactly correct!

I felt this thread was needed to answer the Rumors and Innuendos about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Cozumel Invasion. Since I am in charge of this event these are the facts.

There are many folks that help to put an event this large together, so I do not do this by myself. However if you are looking for FACTS about what happens during the Invasion, I am the person to ask.
One question: Do any of the organizers or Scubaboard staff receive any sort of perks from DP or the hotel or other providers beyond what the regular Invasion attendees receive, such as free or extra-discounted room/board or free dives?

With regards to air hogs (I resemble that remark), after the first day of diving when it became evident who we were, they made an effort to make sure I had one of the larger tanks. That way, I was able to stay down with the group. I can't stress how much fun I had with the group and how much I learned on this trip. I hope we can do it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom