The Truth about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I think they are entitled to take something from it. It is a service and they should get paid. You get what you pay for, right? So do you want a 'free' organizer? As CZ say, prices it and see if he hasn't got you a good deal and decide.
What struck me is SB doesn't make a dime. I would think SB should get some funds to offset the operational costs. After all SB was a big 'advertiser' for the trip and contributed quite a bunch to organizing the trip, right?

I guess the volunteer spirit is dead and gone nowadays.
How do you organize and run your group trips? When was your last one, to where? How many went?

How do you organize and run your group trips? When was your last one, to where? How many went?
I've helped to run several dive shop organized trips for nothing more than thanks, doing more work than the actual organizer who was getting something out of it only because I wanted the trip to run smoothly and the organizer wasn't doing so well on his own.

I also "organized" Dive with Greg I and II on rec.scuba where lots of people helped plan things and absolutely no one got anything out of it (though I somehow ended up not paying for breakfast one morning). Divers as notable as Dan Volker attended the first group dive on Splashdown in Boynton Beach, FL and I think we ended up with at least 20 for dinner at some crab restaurant. For the second, we managed to do two afternoon dives on the Spiegel Grove, though I think only 12 or so divers made it that time and to dinner that night in Key Largo. Just grass roots fun diving.

No, these weren't "trips", they just involved coordination with people, dive boats, and restaurants, but scaling up isn't so hard with the assistance of the paid travel agent, of which we had no use. I'd leave the TA out of it and make the arrangements on my own, but as another poster said, complaints happen. At that point I'd tell the complainer, "hey bud, I ain't getting paid for this, go tell it to the TA". Easy.

Really, I honestly expected that this was the same sort of thing on a larger scale. A few people volunteering a little time so that lots of people could meet in person and have a great time. Now I feel like the little kid who finds out there's no Santa Claus. :shakehead:

Now would I be up to organizing an event for 100+ divers without remuneration? Sure, I'd love to. In fact, I know a few TAs that would love to organize it. Wanna help me get started?

I've helped to run several dive shop organized trips for nothing more than thanks, doing more work than the actual organizer who was getting something out of it only because I wanted the trip to run smoothly and the organizer wasn't doing so well on his own.

I also "organized" Dive with Greg I and II on rec.scuba where lots of people helped plan things and absolutely no one got anything out of it (though I somehow ended up not paying for breakfast one morning). Divers as notable as Dan Volker attended the first group dive on Splashdown in Boynton Beach, FL and I think we ended up with at least 20 for dinner at some crab restaurant. For the second, we managed to do two afternoon dives on the Spiegel Grove, though I think only 12 or so divers made it that time and to dinner that night in Key Largo. Just grass roots fun diving.

No, these weren't "trips", they just involved coordination with people, dive boats, and restaurants, but scaling up isn't so hard with the assistance of the paid travel agent, of which we had no use. I'd leave the TA out of it and make the arrangements on my own, but as another poster said, complaints happen. At that point I'd tell the complainer, "hey bud, I ain't getting paid for this, go tell it to the TA". Easy.

Really, I honestly expected that this was the same sort of thing on a larger scale. A few people volunteering a little time so that lots of people could meet in person and have a great time. Now I feel like the little kid who finds out there's no Santa Claus. :shakehead:

Now would I be up to organizing an event for 100+ divers without remuneration? Sure, I'd love to. In fact, I know a few TAs that would love to organize it. Wanna help me get started?

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Go to groups.google.com and search for "dive with greg" (include the quotes) and count the number of posts on the various threads related to these monumental events. Your piddly "invasion" pales in comparison even with the full resources of the might Scubaboard and all its advertising sponsors behind you. Out of how many thousands of Scubaboard members, you only got 90 something to show and that's including the organizers?

Viva la free internet and the spirit of volunteerism!

An example of grass roots at its best:
rec.scuba | Google Groups

Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Sure, people can and do stuff like that for free. I am sure you could do it too. I think CZ has been upfront. He is getting something and he ain't telling what it is. Hence the trip is market based. Is is a good deal? If it is and he is making an obscene profit, who cares? If you can do better, then no one will go with him. Ton of people organize trips for the perks. Places loves trip organizers because them give them business. Maybe you should do one and kick back the profits to help fund SB? Or better yet, split it with the Cozumel Red Cross? That might be a great draw for you! And sell unaffiliated dinner tickets...:cool2:

He Dennis, first off, again, hats off to you, great job done by all last year.

I'm just gonna make some comments based on what I experienced :

The boat votes where to go, there are NO EXCLUDED site except the very advance site but I can have smaller boats take members there.

Boats were limited on sites due to time and distance, advanced sites were grouped in with this limitation since advance dive sites are on far north and south of island, our group was told more than once that they couldn't go to some sites because of how long it would take. DM and crew made it also very clear that they were under direct orders to keep diving toned down on first couple of days, DM explained this in detail.

As for small boats, I'd love to hear any details about how to get small/fast boats in the mix. Last year we were mistakenly under the impression a small boat was in the rotation and that would be our chance to get to some advanced sites due to the boat being fast and could get there and back in time and stay on the schedule, however small boat never appeared.

This would be a big factor in our decision to go again. Event was great, but I've been to Cozumel so many times, we really like to get to some of those farther and advanced sites when we go there, if there really is an opportunity for this to happen this time that would be a great new feature to this years event. I realize you will never be able to please everyone, no matter what you do. And the job of organizers you guys did a lot goes unnoticed and unappreciated for the fact you actually do move some mountains in getting done what you guys did.

Divers are grouped according to their experience level. I make the list for the groups not the dive op.

Dive groups rotate boats so they get the chance to dive with other member. We try to allow as many members to dive together as possible.

If we go again, I want to make sure we do get grouped by experience level, we were definitely on a mixed group from extremely experience to brand new newbies. It was all good, but if we go again, I would want to make sure to actually be grouped by experience this time. Perhaps was my own fault as my profile was very lacking at that time, or perhaps I missed an email or PM about experience levels when the boats were being grouped?

The groups rotating on the boats was a really great feature of last year, really enjoyed that part, allways meeting new divers every day on the boat.

This year your DiveMaster will rotate boats with your group.

I think that's a great idea, that's more similar to how dive trips usually go and makes for a much better experience, since both the divers and the DM get comfortable with each other above and below the water.

First diver out of air everyone goes up is NOT their policy with our group, we go up when the DiveMaster says. All my dives last year were handled in this manner.
Only exception I can recall is on night dives for obvious reasons.

You definitely don't dive your tank, but you don't dive the first out of airs either. We were pretty much first in the water and last out on every dive, the DM did send first out of air up, but it wasn't a continuous process, usually when he was down to about 4-6 divers that was the final group that went up with him. I had no really qualms about it, we could have personally dived longer on most dives, but they were all pretty good dive bottom times overall.

I'm sure you guys will out do yourselves on the current 2012 invasion. Had fun last year, thanks for all you guys did. (and I hope you got some freebies out of it, you should!)

Boy oh boy! The saying no good deed goes unpunished sure does apply.

I just find it so sad (this is my opinion only)that others are so miserable with themselves that they feel the need to tear things apart. Shame on you, but again that's what ScubaBoard is all about! The free internet forum to voice your opinion, toot your own horn, dis a dive op or host a great trip for those who wish to meet with old friends, make new friends and enjoy a great sport. Carry on! :D

Ok, let me be perfectly clear there is no profit for ScubaBoard or anyone organizing the Invasion. This event is for the members and the package is offered at a discount to ScubaBoard members.

I started this thread to clear up things about this event. There are many thing that both the Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise are doing for our members which are outside the package. Like event t-shirts,prizes and banquet halls but I'm not getting in to all that.

If you like the package, join it is UNBEATABLE.
If you think you can do better or want something different I wish you well.

Boy oh boy! The saying no good deed goes unpunished sure does apply.

I just find it so sad (this is my opinion only)that others are so miserable with themselves that they feel the need to tear things apart. Shame on you, but again that's what ScubaBoard is all about! The free internet forum to voice your opinion, toot your own horn, dis a dive op or host a great trip for those who wish to meet with old friends, make new friends and enjoy a great sport. Carry on! :D

I think you are taking it too personal. I heard suggestions, praise and questions about whether trip organizers should get 'paid'. Maybe I missed, but I didn't hear anyone who claimed to be there saying it was terrible. In fact, all I remember reading was people loved it generally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom