The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just downloaded all the human H1 protein sequences from the NCBI database and compared them all the A/California/04/2009.

Looking at differences from the A/California/04/2009, all the 2009-swine flu sequences differ from that sample by 0-5 changes. The next closest sequences are various samples from swine-to-human transmission of influenza that have occurred with 45-69 changes from the current California swine flu sequence.

The next most similar sample in the NCBI sequence database is the 1918 pandemic influenza virus with about 77 changes. Then there's mostly samples from the 1930s/1940s/1950s/1960s with 81-102 changes. Then there's a huge number of sequences in the 102 to 112 changes which is the bulk of the H1 proteins in recently circulating viruses.

That does sort of vaguely support and make plausible sounding the idea that older human H1 influenza viruses are more like this virus than recent ones, so older folks might have antibodies that give at least partial immunity. I was kind of surprised that the 1918 sequence was literally the closest match of any human H1 protein.

Couple of references I found to human infected with swine influenza previously, including one possible case of human-to-human transmission:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=236678
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/NEJMoa0903812v1

Blah, blah, blah... why don't you give it a rest, lamont.
:lol:​
He gave someone instructions earlier on how to Ignore his posts. I think it was easy... :D

I'm sure I'm on some Ignore lists.

Lamont rocks.

Interesting approach. I do kinda wonder if such should come from the Mayor of San Miguel rather than a service provider, and I wonder if "where there are none" is reaching a bit, as it's by definition significantly more than "no reported or confirmed cases" - but it might work. Your supporters might also copy & paste it to emails to their U.S.Representatives with follow-up phone calls to their offices mentioning the Subj line as I suspect the CDC would listen to them more. You're not asking the CDC to sound all clear for Mexico City tho, just Isla de Cozumel. :hmmm: I wonder if the CDC has ever changed policy upon request...?

Looking at Continental's IAH-CZM flights for this week tho, it looks like what you really need is more cheap flights from the airline. They currently have 2 flights/day on 3 days/week, 1/day on 3, and skip Tuesdays...

rc1rew.jpg

2enutlc.jpg

For the rest of the week, the assigned seats (gray seats) are pretty well taken for most flights - and the second flight on Wed-May 13 seems to be sold out, with the second flight on Sat-May 16 being the only flight wide open. Sorry, I could not capture pics with dates. I did try to keep them in sequence and you can see the date by hovering your cursor on a pic - except don't take my word for any of this if you seeking a flight! Call Cont Air...!
513a.jpg 514.jpg 515.jpg 516a.jpg 516b.jpg 517a.jpg 517b.jpg
The 18th flight sold out, 19th is NA, 20th both flights sold out...
518-20.jpg
And looks like the fares are up from the recent $300 RT for all but a couple of dates - and these fares do not include approximately $100 in taxes & fees to be added on...
vg5qo8.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom