The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those wondering what's the big deal? It is a new - not before seen virus -

I keep wondering why people keep repeating this, H1N1 Influenza A, is NOT new. It has been around for a while, in fact as recently as 5 months ago, results were being published about it's resistance to Tamiflu:

H1N1 Tamiflu Resistance in the United States Increases to 96%

P.S.

n1516860955_307408_3766535.jpg

I keep wondering why people keep repeating this, H1N1 Influenza A, is NOT new. It has been around for a while, in fact as recently as 5 months ago, results were being published about it's resistance to Tamiflu:
I posted that bear & pig pic earlier, but had whited out the obscenity. :eyebrow: Did you catch the Youtube, I think I posted? Funny...!

Yeah, H1N1 has been around for who knows how long. The 1918 mass killer was an H1N1, there has been a strain of H1N1 included in the flu vaccine since after the 1976 fiasco which sadly involved a botched vaccine that killed and disabled some - and that epidemic failed. It was a dark time in the US, at the end of the Viet Nam era, having had a Vice President and President both resign as crooks, leaving accidental Ford in charge: 1976: The swine flu scare

This Novel H1C1 is a new one. If it had been the same old bug, it wouldn't have killed so many mainland Mexicans. I am impressed that your government controlled it so well, prevented similar outbreaks on your Peninsula and the islands. I think my fumbling government may have helped yours out some, or so I've read. :medal: Bully for both of them.

I was just looking for this thread anyway; glad you bumped it already.
58435688.gif

I need to post an apology to Christy, Antonio, and maybe others. Last night I think it was I posted a crack about Christy's remarks for example. I went to dinner, felt bad, came back to edit it - but some may have seen it. Not many I don't think as I doubt many are still following this, but maybe some?

Anyway, I am sure that neither Christy nor Antonio would suggest forfeiting personal safety for business reasons. On the contrary, I am sure you both take safety very seriously and responsibly - out of the water as well as in. Our views on prudent decisions have differed at times, but I know that neither of you ever suggested increasing risks. And I want to offer my apologies for being so cranky, obnoxious, etc - as I am at times. :blush:

thank you

That's not quite accurate. When you catch the flu, whatever strain you have, you build up antibodies for that and only that strain. The vaccinations they make every year are a coctail of different strains of the flu combined which cause you to make antibodies for all of them. Ever since the last swine flu scare in 1977 they've added that version of the H1N1 to the coctail. Catching the regular human flu will give you no antibodies or resistance what's so ever to the so called swine flu. The H1N1 strain in the already used vaccine may only give partial protection against this new (A)H1N1 however. I guess partial is better than none.

The 2008/2008 Northern Hemisphere virus components were:

A/Brisbane/59/2007 (H1N1)-like
A/Brisbane/10/2007 (H3N2)-like
B/Florida/4/2006-like

It did not contain A/USSR/90/1977.

H1N1 just refers to the subtype of those envelope proteins. The specific genotype varies greatly and affects immune response and immunity (otherwise everyone would have caught H1N1 back in 1977 acquired immunity and H1N1 influenza would have died out).

The current "Swine Flu" is a reassortment of swine, avian and human influenza genes where the specific genotype of the HA, NA, NP, M and NS1 genes are from swine, the PB2 and PA genes are from avian influenza, and the PB1 gene is the only one from human influenza and comes from a human H3N2 strain. The only gene there where humans have been exposed to that specific genotype is in the PB1 gene, which makes it new and makes the circulating pool of human influenza virus genes that much larger.

Yeah, I thot there were 3 strains included in each vaccine. Didn't know the details. Thanks.
errr that there map you posted seems pretty sure....

so who's right Don, you? or the map....???
If you want to say it's over in the Yuc-Pen, fine.
Wait what? That map shows none in the peninsula.
I dunno? We know of two cases confirmed and admitted. Can't say why they're not indicated on the map?

We don't know how real cases many were not confirmed, not reported, not admitted? Cancun Wall Of Silence Many of the US cases were people who had recently been to Cancun, and a new one in Ohio was reported the other day, recently visiting Cancun. Amazing how many caught in on trips to Cancun before it was there, huh? If new cases were found, treated, and resolved - would the officials report them?

I imagine anyone in any tourist destination world wide who develops a cough is barred from work even if it's from hay fever or other allergies.

Anyway, hope the news and the realities both continue to be great.

H1N1 just refers to the subtype of those envelope proteins. The specific genotype varies greatly and affects immune response and immunity (otherwise everyone would have caught H1N1 back in 1977 acquired immunity and H1N1 influenza would have died out).

The current "Swine Flu" is a reassortment of swine, avian and human influenza genes where the specific genotype of the HA, NA, NP, M and NS1 genes are from swine, the PB2 and PA genes are from avian influenza, and the PB1 gene is the only one from human influenza and comes from a human H3N2 strain. The only gene there where humans have been exposed to that specific genotype is in the PB1 gene, which makes it new and makes the circulating pool of human influenza virus genes that much larger.

Did you just write all of that yourself? If so I'm impressed! Or are parts copied from other sources?

Not starting anything but just wondering. Do you really not dive as your sig says?

Did you just write all of that yourself? If so I'm impressed! Or are parts copied from other sources?

Not starting anything but just wondering. Do you really not dive as your sig says?
LOL! Lamont likes to lie low, ya know, incognito-style. :wink: :blinking: :rofl3:

Is Canada still boycotting?

I just checked the Air Canada website. Their travel advisory says it's only until the end of May. However, I'm booked to arrive in Cozumel June 5 and there is a notice on my ticket that Air Canada is making some changes. And there are question marks where my plane type should appear. Hopefully it's something as minor as a change in the type of aircraft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom