The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's too soon to how severe this particular H1N1 strain will turn out to be, and it could still mutate, as viruses are prone to do. It's also too early to predice whether it'll be contained or go viral (sorry couldn't resist). Despite the media frenzy, the WHO is taking measured steps towards containment and reasonable caution isn't a bad idea.

In any case the dilemma for anyone with an upcomming dive vacation is the same. Whether to cancel or postpone the trip, to avoid the risk of catching this or even a regular cold or flu at an airport, or rolling the dice and flying anyway. The destination is irrerevelant, since it isn't where you're going that's the problem but who you meet on the way.

For those going to Coz, or flying anywhere else, consider trying for a direct flight, or at least stay away from folks as much as possible during layovers. If you're in an area where there's already some outbreaks, you might convinve your doctor to prescribe Tamiflu, which has shown some preventative benefits.

Otherwise, changing destinations makes no sense at all, unless you're changing from one you fly to to one you drive to.

Last edited:
I am planning on diving in Cozumel May 5 and wanted to get the most recent information on what's different in San Miguel. What's open and what's closed? Any changes you noticed, some that might even be an improvement, associated with the cruise ships being gone. Things like that. This will help us get excited about our trip other than just the negative stuff we hear.

Why though? Even in Mexico the idea is to limit ones exposure by NOT congregating in large masses. Thus it is perfectly sensible to say "I would limit my exposure to small areas crammed with masses of humanity for the near-term".
It's fine to say that or hold that opinion as an individual, but to say it over the national media from his post as VP of the US is, IMO, a bit irresponsible. YMMV, of course, but I am certainly not alone.

For those going to Coz, or flying anywhere else, consider trying for a direct flight, or at least stay away from folks as much as possible during layovers. If you're in an area where there's already some outbreaks, you might convinve your doctor to prescribe Tamiflu, which has shown some preventative benefits.

Otherwise, changing destinations makes no sense at all, unless you're changing from one you fly to to one you drive to.
Going outside of a terminal during a layover should be easy enough. You just have to put up with TSA screening again on re-entering.

I do hope we see this thing fizzle at least until the fall with the expected second wave, but how do you figure destination is not important? Yes, I know this H1N1-2009 has established itself in other places, most certainly in Texas to some extent, but it's still most common in Mexico - so how it visiting Mexico as safe as others? :confused:

Confirmations have not been announced in the Yucatan, but funny - I distrust that government even more than I distrust my own. With Mexico taking tremendous losses in tourism and Cancun hotels at less than 50% full, some news reports showing isolated areas that are usually busy, can we really believe that they're going to be open about new problems?

Air fares are down. Did these fare cuts happen before the flu news or start after? I saw today that Continental is cutting back capacities to Mexico by half with reduced demands: Continental cuts Mexico capacity amid swine flu

Be sure to confirm your reservations often, even if just to check your seat assignments. I've been moved to lousy seats before on equipment changes.
Confirmed sickened worldwide, 519: 300 in Mexico; 146 in U.S.; 35 in Canada; 13 in Spain; 10 in Britain; four each in Germany and New Zealand; two in Israel; one each in Switzerland, Austria, China, Denmark and the Netherlands. Mexico is no longer releasing "suspected" numbers; the number of suspected cases was 2,498 before the tally was halted.

I'm not saying the dems always create these emergencies, but they sure as hell know how to take advantage of them.

****END THREADJACK****
If you substitute "politicians" for "dems", I'll agree with you. Have you already forgotten 9-11 and Saddam's WMD's?

Folks, all lamont is saying, which I agree with, is pay attention to this flu outbreak and be especially cautious of the next flu outbreak season, the fall. Science is backing that up. He went on say, those that live, work and depend on Coz tourist dollars, are mistakenly taking this too lightly. They want it to be less severe, so they might be misreading some of the warning signs that say otherwise. Just because his opinion is different than the Cozophiles does not make him wrong. He is trying to do a service to the dve community. It is obvious he has no vested interest in any outcome, nor has any financial stake in any of it.

Just talked with friends diving in Cozumel. Everything is fine, but the town is quiet. No cruise ships, so all the tourist shops are closed. All the cantinas are closed too. Most restaurants open, as are the grocery stores. All these closures are ordered through May 6. Everything should be back to normal shortly after you get there. No reported cases of the flu either. Have a great time, I'm jealous!

If you substitute "politicians" for "dems", I'll agree with you. Have you already forgotten 9-11 and Saddam's WMD's?

Well that point is very open to debate. For starters, it's still not proven that the Iraqi General that says his men moved the chemical weapons to Syria was lying. Not to mention that EVERY top intelligence agency in the world said Saddam had WMDs. Bush didn't make that up and get the Russians, Israelis, French, and the UK intelligence services to lie on his behalf too.....

Wanna make a bet on how long it takes for President Teleprompter to use it as an emergency excuse to impliment Socialized Medicine by saying that the poor uninsured masses will be spreading the Swine flu because they won't be going to the doctor?

HOLA FROM CANCUN, WE ARE DIVING TOMORROW, WE HAVE A MORNING AFTERNOON AND NIGHT DIVE, WE HAVE HAD CANCELATIONS BUT STILL HAVE SOME FEW DIVERS. HERE IS AN ARTICLE THAT I THOUGHT INTERESTING TO SHARE ON THIS BOARD SPECIALLY COMING FROM THE
WORLD'S HEALTH ORGANIZATION THAT IS A UNITED NATIONS AGENCY: THEY RECOMMEND NOT TO RESTRICT TRAVELING BUT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN DESITIONS.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/guidance/public_health/travel_advice/en/index.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom