The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only one seat open on each flight right now, so it doesn't look like air travelers are going into a panic and canceling flights to Cancun well in advance...

Yup, the communications messages thus far focus on the need to avoid panic. Some media appearing are to avoid panic but to exercise prudent measures...I can cite them from memory: sneeze into your sleeve, wash your hands frequently; practise good infection control; stay home when you are sick. And ask others to do the same. These are our greatest safeguards. Period.

I'll be the first to let you know if things change as I'm intimitely involved as far as this goes in Canada.

And then there is the idiotic...!

Several countries have banned import of pork from the US & Mexico, even tho there is no chance of acquiring the illness from eating pork products.

And now Egypt is slaughtering all pigs even though no cases have been reported there, and people are not catching it from pigs nearly as much as from each other. The country only has 300,000 pigs to needlessly kill, I suppose because of the Muslim influence there, but still a stupid waste - and I kinda doubt that the farmers will be fairly reimbursed.

Now that's beautiful.... I actually had tears in my eyes from the laugh I got. :rofl3: -Ignorance is a many splendored thing-

I have a tripped planned to Cozumel for May 18th-27th, so I hope this thing will either be in full swing or fizzled out by then, so my decision will be clear.

BTW I thought the name of the antiviral drug was tamiflu, with an m? Also, (if I were to acquire some) I believe this is to be taken after symptoms occur, as it does not function as a vaccine, but only minimizes symptoms and speeds recovery. On the other hand, I took a doctor's advice once and bought Cipro when I went to Honduras a few years ago. Sure enough, on the flight home I started getting sick to my stomach, so I took the Cipro for the next few days, and I honestly don't think it helped and perhaps made it worse. Given that experience I'm not convinced drugs are all that helpful(within reason of course).

r2930950962.jpg

The statue of Diana in Acapulco April 29, 2009.​
Well in Cozumel I would clasify Dive shops, Hotels and restaurants as essential!
:D
Restaurants may well become a focus with people gathering, eating, perhaps with food exposed to activities of others in the room. Buffets and salad/taco bars more at risk than food served at the table. Didn't I read that Mexico City restaurants were open for to-go orders only?

The 6-7% mortality rate was a misunderstanding as that would have been three times as deadly as the 1918 strain. A pandemic like in 1918 would suggest 30% infection rate, 3% hospitalization, 2% of the infected or 0.6% of population death rate is the more expected...
When the Mexican health secretary spoke this week about a 6 or 7 percent death rate, his figures were based on the number of deaths divided by the number of suspected infections. But authorities cannot be certain how many people have been infected, especially those who suffered only mild symptoms.

Mexican authorities have not tried to count mild cases, focusing instead on the severely ill and the dead. So the death rate may be much lower than 6 or 7 percent and probably is, according to some experts.
Let's see for Cozumel's population of 73,193 (as of 2005 - anyone have today's figures?), over 22,000 ill and not at work, over 2,000 needing hospitalization, over 400 dead if this blooms into full pandemic like 1918?

Jeeze, and I was chastised for being tempted to stay on island during hurricane Dean?! Well, I was already there, didn't want to leave, but leaving was deemed prudent in part so I wouldn't add to the burden during local crisis. I suppose some local operators would feel similarly today: "Come on down the water's fine" until the bloom starts to hit, then "Why the hell are you still here?" Fortunately I could find a flight out then; I showed up at Cancun airport with my reservation guaranteed and had to walk around an airport full of people who'd been there all night waiting in line. Also fortunately, the US did not have a 30% infection rate that may have grounded many of the crews that flew in for us.

American health officials have been studying the Mexican outbreak of course, learning all they can about what went bad there, ruling out wrong-headed theories - including a couple of my favs...
_ A second infection complicating the flu cases. A common danger in flu is that the patient is co-infected with pneumonia or other bacteria, which can lead to death. But lab tests of 33 Mexican patients, including seven who died, did not find that problem. (There goes your "they got antibiotics in Mexico" idea, altho that is a small study.)

_ Low-quality health care. CDC investigators have not seen any obvious problem. They have found capable doctors and well-equipped, high-quality hospitals, Dowell said. (Now I really thot that was part of it, but still - how many who needed hospitalization got it? And - what happens to ill tourists when hospitals are full of locasl?)

_ A medicine is compounding the problem. Investigators have looked into whether patients who got sick had taken some over-the-counter medicine or folk remedy that actually made things worse.

Such a problem has sometimes occurs in children recovering from flu who are given aspirin a severe illness called Reye's syndrome, which causes vomiting, lethargy and even seizures. But there's no evidence of something like that in Mexico, Dowell said.

_ Altitude or air pollution: Mexico City's altitude and its infamous air pollution have raised speculation that those factors may have made people more susceptible to the virus. But severe cases are being reported over much of Mexico, including coastal communities and places with cleaner air, making that theory unlikely. (Dang, I was counting on that one being important.)​
So, they don't know why it's so much worse down there - just that it is. So much to learn, but the knowledge is being acquired quickly now.

I really hope it does not get this bad, but I can see litte reason to think it won't. I guess it'll partly/largly? depend on how many take heed to the "stay home" suggestions and how many accept "come on down the water's fine" and fly into harm's way...?

Back at home, what would a 30% infection rate, 3% hospitalization, 0.6% of population death rate do to your city?

Regarding the government's temporary suspension of governmental and private business activities...does that mean divers could show up next week only to find hotels and dive ops not running?

On the other hand, I took a doctor's advice once and bought Cipro when I went to Honduras a few years ago. Sure enough, on the flight home I started getting sick to my stomach, so I took the Cipro for the next few days, and I honestly don't think it helped and perhaps made it worse. Given that experience I'm not convinced drugs are all that helpful(within reason of course).

The problem is shotgunning antibiotics at an illness whose causative agent you don't know. Some intestinal disorders are bacterial, and will respond to Cipro. The typical traveler's diarrhea from Mexico is a non-toxigenic E. coli, and responds well, as do several other common bacterial pathogens. But some outbreaks of vomiting and diarrhea are purely viral -- for example, the ones on the cruise ships -- and antibiotics not only don't help with that kind of illness, but since diarrhea is a side effect of some antibiotics, may actually make things worse.

In the current situation, someone traveling to Mexico City who develops the abrupt onset of fever, headache, muscle and bone aches, and cough, probably would have enough information at that point to make starting Tamiflu appropriate. Tamiflu is also given as prophylaxis for health care workers in epidemic situations, and for family members of influenza patients who are at high risk of complications, should they become ill (patients with severe asthma, for example). At present, I do not believe there is enough evidence to warrant routine prophylaxis of people traveling to Cozumel or the Riviera Maya. I have a trip scheduled in June, and if the flu is still prevalent in Mexico, I will take Tamiflu with me, but I probably won't use it as a prophylactic agent. I would guess I would still be at much higher risk of losing time on my trip from a GI problem than from the flu.

Now that's beautiful.... I actually had tears in my eyes from the laugh I got. :rofl3: -Ignorance is a many splendored thing-

I have a tripped planned to Cozumel for May 18th-27th, so I hope this thing will either be in full swing or fizzled out by then, so my decision will be clear.

BTW I thought the name of the antiviral drug was tamiflu, with an m? Also, (if I were to acquire some) I believe this is to be taken after symptoms occur, as it does not function as a vaccine, but only minimizes symptoms and speeds recovery. On the other hand, I took a doctor's advice once and bought Cipro when I went to Honduras a few years ago. Sure enough, on the flight home I started getting sick to my stomach, so I took the Cipro for the next few days, and I honestly don't think it helped and perhaps made it worse. Given that experience I'm not convinced drugs are all that helpful(within reason of course).

Cipro is an antibiotic. How do you know you didn't get viral gastroenteritis rather than a bacteriological infection from food? And how do you know it didn't help? Maybe without the Cipro you would have wound up in the hospital...

Unless you know why you got sick, and if Cipro is a treatment for that problem and what kind of severity of illness you could have expected to get, you have no idea how to judge the efficacy of the Cipro..

And extrapolating that experience to the efficacy of Tamiflu against this influenza is more than a huge stretch...

The 6-7% mortality rate was a misunderstanding as that would have been three times as deadly as the 1918 strain. A pandemic like in 1918 would suggest 30% infection rate, 3% hospitalization, 2% of the infected or 0.6% of population death rate is the more expected...[/QUOTE]

just information(not offence)

[url=http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE53N22820090430?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=10452]Mexico orders economic shutdown; pandemic imminent | U.S. | Reuters[/url]

Masato Tashiro, head of the influenza virus research center at Japan's National Institute of Infectious Disease and a member of the WHO emergency committee, told Japan's Nikkei newspaper it appeared the H1N1 strain was far less dangerous than avian flu.

"The virus is relatively weak and about the same as regular influenza viruses passed on via human-to-human contact. I don't believe it will become virulent," he was quoted as saying.

"The threat to health from the avian influenza and its fatality rate is much greater than the new flu," he said.

"I am very worried that we will use up the stockpile of anti-flu medicine and be unarmed before we need to fight against the avian influenza. The greatest threat to mankind remains the H5N1 avian influenza."​

Looks like there's 6 suspect cases in Washington State now and 3 of those in King County around Seattle... 6 people out of about 2,000,000 in King County... Only an 11 year old kid had to get hospitalized... So far this sounds more like 1889 or 1957 than 1918...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom