The Sweet Life on Molasses Reef & Upper Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too busy the past two days diving to follow-up. Feeling a bit like the "United Nations of Key Largo Dive Shops" - I worked with students, guided/translated for 2 shops, certified 1 student from a 3rd shop, dove from 3 different boats: Seadwellers, Horizon, & Island Ventures...it's all good in Key Largo.

Thurs: 4 dives on Molasses Reef (Train wreck, Eagle Ray Alley, Aquarium) - water temp 87, flat seas, almost no wind, viz ranged from 50-70 ft depending on site/time of day/etc. Current picked up as the day went on. And the jelly fish have returned a few hanging out near the surface. You can see the Coral Restoration folks have been busy planting (attaching) baby corals at various sites at Molasses.

Fri: 2 dives at Elbow Reef - Mike's wreck and South Ledges - seas picked up to about 2ft choppy, viz down to about 40-50 but we did see: many more jelly fish than yesterday, turtle, lobsters, big crab, teeny little flounder, nurse shark, and while returning to boat @ 15ft school of horse eye jacks passed us (from a distance I 1st thought tuna?) and looked beneath them so see a 12+ ft bull shark circling for supper. We don't see those very often here.

With nary a remnant of TS Emily, I hear today there is no wind, flat seas, 80ft viz, light current, the water is great but watch for jellies (rash guards strongly recommended). If you are hanging out on the boat and not in the water, the boat crew says "It's stupid hot out here".

We are heading out Sunday. Will try MO first but I heard the jellies are thick. The moon jellies are really nothing compared to the Man of war invasion we had last year though. Plus the turtles love the moons!

Went to Hens and Chickens seas around a foot, green water, viz around 25 ft. Saw a great baitball, multiple tarpons, first lionfish in a while, plenty of turtles,stingray and just thousands of fish

That baitball was alot of fun!

Hit the reefs today, went to Snappers,Conch and Davis and decided on doing 2 tanks at Hens and Chickens.
The baitball is getting bigger!!
Snook, 3 turtles on surface and schools of jacks and cudas crashing thru the ball.
Took some pix of a Mantis Shrimp
Viz around 20-25 feet and green
Jellies were not bad at all

Where else in the world can you do some world class diving and then spend the afternoon at Sharkey's with Rutkowski?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom