Trip Report Key Largo with Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexdives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife was certified several months ago so we planned a dive trip to Key Largo to break in her new certification card. I have been certified for many years but just don't dive that often. After a bit of research I made a reservation with Rainbow Reef. Our plan was to arrive on Sunday and dive, take a break and do other stuff on Monday, Dive Tuesday then leave Wednesday
As the trip got closer I started to reconsider some things. My wife still had some anxiety being newly certified and I started to think that a boat with 26 divers might not be the best first experience. We decided to take the Peak Performance Buoyancy course on Sunday then dive Monday and Tuesday. I thought having the instructor for the first day plus the training would really boost her confidence and make the trip more fun.
Arranging the original trip and then changing it involved several calls to RR. I was super impressed by their phone staff. They are divers and they know their stuff. If you ask for advice on where to go they seem to have a thorough knowledge of all the trips and locations and it comes from experience. Very patient as well.
The instructor, Jesseca, called prior to the class to ask us to show up a few minutes before check in and answer any questions.
The check in staff was great on all 3 days, efficient and informative.
We got on the boat, headed out and ran into a bit of an issue. The weather was just not good with very high currents and choppy waves. It proved very difficult to teach a class in those conditions. The captain spent quite a bit of time on the radio with other boats trying to figure out an alternative for the second dive but it was pretty bad everywhere. Jesseca called her supervisor and the class was rescheduled for the following day at no additional charge to us. The sites involved were Molasses reef and sand bottom cave.
The next day we had great conditions! Fairly calm sea and little current. The class was great. My wife stated she learned a ton and felt far more comfortable diving following the class. We finished the class and had time for some practical application as well. Sites were The city of Washington Wreck and Mike's Wreck
The third day was calm as well. For those not familiar with their system, with RR you can dive on your own or you have the option of a free guide. Gage had been the mate on our first 2 days of diving, this was purely by coincidence as all the other crew members were different. Today he was leading a dive. Very experienced diver, he had been very helpful on the boat. He kept the dive fun and interesting! Today's sites were French Reef and the Benwood wreck
Overall we had a very positive experience with Rainbow Reef and I would recommend them For inexperienced divers I would also recommend adding on the class if possible, it really made things much more comfortable for a beginning diver.

Nice report!! Where did you stay at & favorite restaurant ??

Nice report!! Where did you stay at & favorite restaurant ??
We stayed at the Baker's Cay Resort, awesome place. We ate there a few times. Went to the Fish House and really liked it

I just completed my OW certification with Rainbow Reef three weeks ago. I was very impressed with the level of professionalism of the staff and the operations at Rainbow Reef. I am booked for a dive this weekend with them. Rainbow Reef is a 5-star operation and highly recommend them to anyone looking to dive the upper keys!!

I dove with them last year for the first time ever - not only my first time with their operation, but first ocean dives at all - prior to that trip, all I'd ever done was spring and cave diving since it's 2.5 hours max to cave country vs. 4-8 hours to WPB or the Keys.

My buddy and I were very impressed with their staff, their boat, the level of service, all the way through our trip. I'd dive with them again when I go back down there, no questions asked.

Thanks for the report. I'll be there in two weeks for (long overdue) AOW certification and a few days of wreck diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom