The state of sidemount in DIR/GUE? Part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be clear, the original thread asked in the OP's post:

"What is GUE's current stance on sidemount for any level of training?"

That asks very specifically about GUE and there's little ambiguity there.

Kevin, I know that you're certified by Boegarts and I attended his lecture at the GUE conference and largely liked it. If relatively grown up GUE-trained folks were interested in SM, I'd definitely suggest that they start with training by Boegarts. But he doesn't claim or want to be DIR and neither GUE or UTD endorse his training. Based on the charter of this group it is *obviously* off-topic or the utility of the whole forum becomes meaningless through extension. This becomes just another argument about being insulted by not being "DIR" and the implication that its "DIW" to do anything else. Putting on my moderators hat and dealing with a public discussion of this topic, it clearly isn't appropriate (putting on my just-another-divers-hat then I'd probably be more interested than a lot of other GUE divers in talking about it over margaritas down in MX, but that's different).

What is going on with UTD and its extension into CCR and SM is a harder semantic issue to deal with, and why I think that the DIR forum really needs to become a GUE training forum and a UTD training forum. GUE has dropped the "DIR" tag completely and distanced themselves from that term, while AG has embraced and extended the term to the point where nobody is sure what it means anymore. If I'm forced to choose at some point, then the term DIR clearly predates AG's involvement and anyone involved in UTD, so GUE/JJ/GI3/WKPP clearly win -- and I have to be able to make moderators decisions, or the forum is useless, so "who defines what it is?" claims that result in it being impossible to make any kind of decision on moderation are useless to me, so I have to have an authority to look to for -- descending into some kind of "moral relativism" over the "DIR" term again just means the forum would be impossible to moderate.

Does anything UTD does count as DIR anymore? I don't keep up with the politics of this stuff, but from what I have heard, UTD doing it is pretty strong evidence it isn't DIR at this point.

Yes, there are ways to sort of put together a sidemount DIR rig. But, it is compromised from a backmount rig. The need for sidemount and the compromises required just don't apply to enough divers to really make it worth it. The GUE guys in Mexico don't really sidemount anymore due to a lack of real need. That says about all you need to say about how often sidemount is really necessary.

On what is going on with UTD, I would have to agree with you. I have been scratching my head for a while now.

In regards to the GUE guys in Mexico, I would say it says all you need to say about their diving they are doing rather then it beeing necessary or not. They are diving in caves that clearly do not need sidemount. A couple of years ago, they were diving such that they didn't feel the need for SCCR. Things change.

Several of the more high provfile connections have only been made only via sidemount. Most of the high profile exploration has been made via backmount.

The biggest issues that I see regarding GUE and sidemount diving is many sidemounters diving solo.

To be clear, the original thread asked in the OP's post:

"What is GUE's current stance on sidemount for any level of training?"

That asks very specifically about GUE and there's little ambiguity there.

I was going more with the OP subject header which was "The State of sidemount in DIR/GUE?" which was a bit more fuzzy.

But your right. This topic is not going to go anywhere. Same old rehash.

GUE/JJ/GI3/WKPP is where the term DIR came from so if it's to be used now at all it's certainly in connection with JJ and whatever decisions are made by GUE. And, since one of the major tenets of DIR is that it's a total system, anyone else adding or taking away from it inherently make it no longer DIR.

That doesn't mean I disagree with everything on the planet not GUE, it's just that I don't think it should be called DIR, it's not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom