The scale of Cozumel’s economic problem with no cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am just making this post to highlight the giant hole the absence of cruise ships has made in the Cozumel economy. I have mentioned this impact before, but I stumbled across a report with better data. I am just flagging this data to highlight how badly Cozumel needs any tourist revenue or charitable donations you can provide. The headline number is that Cozumel cruise ship direct expenditures in Cozumel are about $474 million a year ($1.3 million per day ). This comes from an annual report prepared by the cruise prior to the pandemic. Since it was an industry report and they have an incentive to skew high, maybe haircut it and call it $1 million a day in lost revenue. This doesn’t even count the hundreds of thousands of lost daily revenue from fewer divers/hotel guests that come by air. Mexico isn’t like the US where the federal government is throwing money at the problem by the trillion, people and businesses are largely on their own to deal with the pandemic (yes there has been some Government food distribution, but that only goes so far )

Please note I am not a fan of cruise ships (especially the lower end ones where passenger shore visits are done on a shoestring budget ), but that doesn’t mean I wanted the islands revenue to go to zero overnight.

The report shows that total direct expenditures by cruise passengers and crew was $474 million. The passengers spend $378 million, the crew spent $45 million and the cruise line itself spend $50 million (Virtually all port and navigation fees).

Cozumel has 3.488 million passenger onshore visits and 676 thousand crew visits (4.164 million total onshore ) The average passenger spend was $108 and average crew spend was $67.

Once again , this is not a defense of the cruise ships This is a reminder of how badly the island is hurting. Any tourist dollars you can come and spend or charity dollars you can send are much needed. I usually just tip/give money to the people I know and expect it will trickle down to the broader economy, but I am sure Dave D, Christi and others can recommend charities

[https://www.f-cca.com/downloads/Caribbean-Cruise-Analysis-2018-Vol-I.pdf]

I'll be doing my part starting this Saturday!
I consider myself a big tipper when I get great service. (I used to be in the service industry).

How about hotel room tips for a 10-day stay in Coz? What do most of you non-cheap folks tip???

I gave our maid $10.00 the first day we arrived...I will double that upon our exit...I’m using one Taxi...I call, he comes...works out great for the two of us. I’ve left no less than 20% for meal services at various restaurants and am treating a few DM to dinner with us each night...the boat captain and DM will share the diving tips...$15 per tank x 4 per day.

one thing I have noticed is that the residents are still upbeat and pleasant....as they have always shown.

I'm going in three weeks and plan to make it rain dolla bills, y'all.

ok, probably just a light drizzle is what I can afford but I am going to be obnoxiously generous all around.

I gave our maid $10.00 the first day we arrived...I will double that upon our exit...I’m using one Taxi...I call, he comes...works out great for the two of us. I’ve left no less than 20% for meal services at various restaurants and am treating a few DM to dinner with us each night...the boat captain and DM will share the diving tips...$15 per tank x 4 per day.

one thing I have noticed is that the residents are still upbeat and pleasant....as they have always shown.

Speaking of DM and crew tipping, I give the DM $40 per boat trip (for my son & I) when we are leaving the boat at the dock. I have noticed that the overall majority of divers do not give the DM's anything. Perhaps they take care of the DM & crew at the end of their trips? I don't know how this would work since there are usually different DM's and crew throughout the week+ of diving.

One Dive Op in Grand Cayman had the nastiest and rudest DM I have ever experienced. I made it a point to tip a DM in training who was helping out and I told the rude DM that his attitude needed improvement. He just shrugged it off.

A local DM here told us last night at dinner that there is no trust between DM and Boat captains when it comes to tipping...its a harsh reality.

Speaking of DM and crew tipping, I give the DM $40 per boat trip (for my son & I) when we are leaving the boat at the dock. I have noticed that the overall majority of divers do not give the DM's anything. Perhaps they take care of the DM & crew at the end of their trips? I don't know how this would work since there are usually different DM's and crew throughout the week+ of diving.

One Dive Op in Grand Cayman had the nastiest and rudest DM I have ever experienced. I made it a point to tip a DM in training who was helping out and I told the rude DM that his attitude needed improvement. He just shrugged it off.

I think you already knew this , but most boats have a rule where tips are split/shared. You give it to the captain or the DM and they will split amongst themselves (sometimes further splitting with people that haul/prep gear etc if the shop does that ).

Some people do tip at the end the trip, but it is easier for everyone if you give cash after every dive (like you did). People often do not have the same crew throughout the trip. It is pain for the dive shop to try to figure who gets what over a longer trip (may use different employees , freelancers, captains etc over a week). Probably not a lot of demand for freelancers at the moment for obvious reasons

Deleted.

What do most of you non-cheap folks tip???
He's making fun of us cheap folks, isn't he? :nyah:

I gave our maid $10.00 the first day we arrived...I will double that upon our exit.
I don't think you'll get the same maid every day, so do you think that they share that? My school principal daughter won't tip maids for some reason, but I've always left a buck or two. I've been disappointed on some trips when I leave a tip but they don't bother cleaning a toilet or something, but usually I think it's a nice gesture. For maids, boat crews, dining personnel, I like to tip daily rather than at the end, I guess so they know they're not going to get stiffed.

A local DM here told us last night at dinner that there is no trust between DM and Boat captains when it comes to tipping...its a harsh reality.
Oh really?! That's news to me. Sorry, I am not going to get into their problems. I tip the DM and assume that they split

$15 per tank
$30 per two-tank trip each, really?

I have noticed that the overall majority of divers do not give the DM's anything. Perhaps they take care of the DM & crew at the end of their trips? I don't know how this would work since there are usually different DM's and crew throughout the week+ of diving.
I've wondered if there were many not bothering since I seldom notice others tipping DMs. I figured that I just missed those handoffs.

Back to the theme of the first post, I hate the cruise ship industry and what it does to local environments - including building an artificial economy that caters to them. I sympathize with the working people of the island, I donate monthly to a food bank, but I'd love to see those barges scrapped and the island returned to itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom