The scale of Cozumel’s economic problem with no cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave 5 bucks a day for the maid... so 9 nights would be 45 bucks.

Same here except on the morning of checkout I leave $10 because whoever cleans the room has a much bigger job of getting the room ready for a new guest and may not get as many rooms on her shift due to time constraints.

A local DM here told us last night at dinner that there is no trust between DM and Boat captains when it comes to tipping...its a harsh reality.
Maybe some of the larger Operations have that mistrust. The captains and divemasters that work daily together don't have that issue. It's pretty general understanding the tips are split equally.

Usually $10 per day for the housekeeper. $10 per tank per diver. Normally %20 for food. $20ish to the live musicians at BA. Been tipping higher at home due to the long lockdown and intend to do the same in CZM. 9/12-9/19.

Usually $10 per day for the housekeeper. $10 per tank per diver. Normally %20 for food. $20ish to the live musicians at BA. Been tipping higher at home due to the long lockdown and intend to do the same in CZM. 9/12-9/19.

Pesos? Now we're up to $10/day for housekeeping. Do I hear $20?

A local DM here told us last night at dinner that there is no trust between DM and Boat captains when it comes to tipping...its a harsh reality.

Yep, exactly. I worked down there for years, and this was definitely the typical reality, and I'm highly confident nothing's changed on that front.
It was routine for the person that received the cash to quickly slip it in his pocket, and keep it, if at all possible. Boat crews were constantly on the lookout for this, towards the end of a trip.
In fact, part of my final instructions to new divers during their Open Water course, was to explain the realities of tipping, and how it was better to tip daily rather than at the end of the trip, because crews often changed and the crew working that last day, would get it all.
I'd also tell them that if they didn't tip everyone individually (which is preferable), then to make an audible announcement to the rest of the crew that you were handing the tip to the captain (or DM, which is also preferable), to be split between everyone. Otherwise, the other guys often won't see any of it, or at least won't get an even split.
By the way, another benefit of making a public show of tipping, is that it helps shame the non-tippers into tipping, and it not only works, the crew appreciates the HELL out of it !! You wanna see some seriously extra-special attention from the crew? Then turn into the boat-tip cheerleader,LOL !
Try it, you'll see what I mean. :D

The OP quoting lots of $$ but remember the Cruise industry owns lots and lots of the places that the $$ are spent at!
Mexico City gets a huge chunk so in actuality the local economy is what the hard working citizens of Cozumel take home.
What’s the current minimum wage in Mexico ?

While the point about cruise ships recapturing a huge part of the onshore revenue is fair, México minimum wage is not as relevant because cost of living in Cozumel is way higher than rest of Mexico. My friend from Guadalajara (who is actually an expat ), nearly has a heart attack every time he sees costs/prices in Cozumel. While I don’t know for sure, I don’t think as many workers are at minimum wage here because with the cost of living the numbers just don’t work

With regard to cruise ships getting a cut of revenue, maybe cut dollars in half and call that actual value to island. This comes down to $500k per day, still a huge number

For all the people that say that they want cruise ships to go away, two points:

The first is that cruise ships have been a part of the economy for a long time. I know that because the last cruise I took stopped there around 1985 (I was a kid ). I would love to see cruise ship arrivals gradually go back to 20 or 25 year ago levels but not zero.

The second and far more important point is that you do not want to create that large of an economic vacuum. Nature abhors a vacuum and I have a feeling it would be filled by cartels. I am sure they are in Cozumel to some extent already but not nearly like other places. The scale of the tourism industry in Cozumel at least puts the powers that be in a better position to keep things under control. We do not want Cozumel to become the next Acapulco, which clearly is a risk since it has happened in numerous places (even Playa has gotten pretty dangerous ).

Pesos? Now we're up to $10/day for housekeeping. Do I hear $20?
USD. People should tip what they're comfortable with. I save money at home so I don't have to worry about trying to pinch pennies while on vacation. I'll give you the $10 daily if you want to pop by and clean my room while I'm there. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom