Question The perfect carry on, how do you travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may help.

You can carry technical diving gear for up to hypoxic trimix on board using this method. 5 sets of regs, wing, plate, harness, computers, 5mm wetsuit, 2 masks, trimix analyzer, fins, boots, gopro, stage rigging, 6 tank bands, and a number of other accessories.

The only thing I did not carry onboard was my AL40 O2 tank. That was in picee of checked luggage.

Just did it in fact to Bonaire.

Please subscribe if you find it useful.
Looks like a good system so long as the airline allows a carry-on and a personal item of the generous size you mentioned. I have seen small (non-US) airlines that limit personal items to things like a woman's handbag or a briefcase. There is also often a weight limit.

Also, maybe I missed it, but what was the rationale for not wearing the backpack while boarding the plane?

Looks like a good system so long as the airline allows a carry-on and a personal item of the generous size you mentioned. I have seen small (non-US) airlines that limit personal items to things like a woman's handbag or a briefcase. There is also often a weight limit.

Also, maybe I missed it, but what was the rationale for not wearing the backpack while boarding the plane?
I’ve traveled on airlines that have a carry on weight limit, around 15lbs so it’s a good idea to know the policy of each airline ahead of time. The best way to beat (more like fudge) the size limits is to use a backpack carry on, they never give those a second look at the gate

Most domestic American based airlines don't have a carry on weight limit, only size.
Outside the united states (mostly European based) the carry on is often subject to fairly light weight limits.
You have to research your airlines you plan to use.

Yes indeed, research airlines policies and even airports' as in some places they won't let you go through security with your reg and even spool ("can be used to neutralise people":oops:).
My policy is no metal in cabin...
But with Covid, maybe all of these are gone...

That is correct. The airlines has to allow you to have both a personal sized item and a carry on sized item. The roller is the personal sized item and the backplate backpack is carry on sized. Both will fit in the official sizing apparatus at the counter for each size. I have seen some people board with a carry on sized roller and a carry on sized backpack or duffle bag. But, I would not chance it. If you book some economy tickets, you cannot have a carry on sized item.

We always attempt to book united where we have the credit card and the opportunity to carry both on board in group 2. The only time I was denied carryon sized luggage was when I was in group 5 from having purchased the ticket with american express points.

On boarding, the backplate backpack is worn. This reduces the visual profile and makes it easier to travel down the isle. So far, I have never been questioned. On transiting the airport, the backplate backpack is attached to the personal sized roller so that you do not have to carry anything on your back.

We just got back from a two week trip to Bonaire on United without problems. On the return trip, since I care less about baggage delays, I usually put the backplate inside the backpack and check it in. I just board with the roller with my computers, regulators, analyzers, etc.

I did have one situation where the security guy at the Dominican Republic airport several years ago attempted to prevent me from carrying on my regulators. I ended up talking to a supervisor who could speak english and they then let me pass. That airport was just really disorganized to begin with. I haven't been back since then.

My rebreather is my carry on. To stealth it down a little put a rain cover on it.
Looks like a hiking backpack.

It will fit in the overhead bin, even with tanks (valves removed). Spend a little extra on the travel (part of that tech diving extra costs). Get early boarding to make sure you get overhead bin. Shop your flights to make sure the plane will have overhead bin space. Some of those little planes can be an issue.

Travel tip if doing a big flight (like Truk), pick one leg of the flight (both ways) as first class. That gets you early boarding on all the legs and usually ups the weight limit for checked luggage on most airlines. Don't need first class all the way (unless non-stop) to get the early boarding and luggage benefits the whole way. Sometimes the first class upgrade can be less than the luggage fees.
You managed to board with a CCR on your back??? 😂

Wouldn’t that be a massive red flag at the X-ray?

You managed to board with a CCR on your back??? 😂

Wouldn’t that be a massive red flag at the X-ray?
Yes, I and others I know have worn the rEvo on board.
You will not get through security quickly. You will have it inspected. Red flag for inspection, but nothing that isn't allowed. Scrubbers are empty. Valves are removed from the tanks. This is in non-diving destination airports as well. Phoenix and Charlotte. Johnathon wore his from Dan Diego all the way to Truk and back while having a camera wrapped around his neck.
The Micro is small enough to fit the size requirements for a carry on.
When I got home from Charlotte I weighed the rEvo as I carried it through the airport, 52 pounds. It was in the overhead bin of a 737. Didn't weigh it on the way out, I shipped the tanks ahead of time so they could be filled and ready to dive when I got there. Wasn't going to pay shipping to get them home when they are a carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom