The Other PADI problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmaber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a PADI diver, and selected PADI for the high quality of their course material and the recognition. Even dive shops that teach other courses all know what you are talking about if you say you are PADI AOW. My problem is the way PADI sells "careers in diving" and the way some dive shop owners use their DM and instructors as free labor. As a rule any job that is a lot of fun does not pay well, but in diving it appears to boarder on kind of slave trade. I only know of one branch of professional diving that pays well, and those jobs are some of the worlds most dangerous. To any young people just walking into a dive shop thinking of making a career of it -- I have some advise. Talk to a staff member who has worked for three years or more with this dive shop/operator. Find out how they are paid, now subtract any cost the dive shop expects you to shoulder, like equipment and lessons and ask yourself is that enough money to live on for three years? If the shop/operator has no one who hung around three years, ask yourself if you will too.

It is not just the employees who are victims, In my experience, four out of five dive shop or dive operators with more than three years into this game are very very excited about the idea of selling their business.

On one hand, OK so the industry is run by a bunch of broke SCUBA bums – so what? Perhaps diving means more than money, what’s the harm of doing what you love? To them I say nothing is wrong as long as you go into it with your eyes open and that is what you really want. Also as long as you can work day to day where you are responsible for people’s lives and safety, without compromising that safety to get your next meal. I can understand the temptation for a dive shop not to retire some old regs and BCs or fix that compressor problem when the kids need braces and the rent is due.

What do you think? Have I got it right or have I just run into the wrong people?

dead on. yes, you are right. And PADI is pretty slick not to mention a hint of that.
Here in Hawaii, it is very expensive to live. Its NOT Mexico or a third world place. The industry is very cut throat here and the politics can be harsh.

bmaber:
I am a PADI diver, and selected PADI for the high quality of their course material and the recognition. Even dive shops that teach other courses all know what you are talking about if you say you are PADI AOW.

Everyone knows, no doubt about that. OTOH, I disagree with you assessment of quality.

bmaber:
My problem is the way PADI sells "careers in diving" and the way some dive shop owners use their DM and instructors as free labor.

These are two separate issues. One is PADI's fault, the other is not and happens with shops not affiliated with PADI as well as those that are.

bmaber:
As a rule any job that is a lot of fun does not pay well, but in diving it appears to boarder on kind of slave trade. I only know of one branch of professional diving that pays well, and those jobs are some of the worlds most dangerous. To any young people just walking into a dive shop thinking of making a career of it -- I have some advise. Talk to a staff member who has worked for three years or more with this dive shop/operator. Find out how they are paid, now subtract any cost the dive shop expects you to shoulder, like equipment and lessons and ask yourself is that enough money to live on for three years? If the shop/operator has no one who hung around three years, ask yourself if you will too.

It is not just the employees who are victims, In my experience, four out of five dive shop or dive operators with more than three years into this game are very very excited about the idea of selling their business.

On one hand, OK so the industry is run by a bunch of broke SCUBA bums – so what? Perhaps diving means more than money, what’s the harm of doing what you love? To them I say nothing is wrong as long as you go into it with your eyes open and that is what you really want. Also as long as you can work day to day where you are responsible for people’s lives and safety, without compromising that safety to get your next meal. I can understand the temptation for a dive shop not to retire some old regs and BCs or fix that compressor problem when the kids need braces and the rent is due.

What do you think? Have I got it right or have I just run into the wrong people?

It's not universal. Be selective.

Are you saying that this condition does not exist in shops that operate under a different certifying body (such as NAUI, SSI, GUE, etc.)?

this is not unique to PADI.

But you are right it, it is the way much of the industry works. IMHO those that don't realise what they're getting into fall out of it fairly fast.

I'm sorry you must have PADI confused with every other agency :) ... of course I agree with some of the individual nit-picks. But even Walter teaches diving, last I check that's what PADI teaches. It's fun to draw attention to the few differences, but most instructors who use PADI materials and methods have a similar aim - to teach safe scuba diving, to share our beloved sport with others who will hopefully keep diving for life.

Perhaps this Thread needs to be re-named. Any mods reading?

Pish. This is not even specific to diving. If you really want to object to this sort of behavior, I suggest you direct your ire at universities who charge tens of thousands of dollars for english and geography degrees. You want to talk about low pay with no expectation of advancement? Talk to a liberal arts alumnus working in the service industry.

But the real lesson is this: anyone who fails to research his chosen profession has no one but himself to blame.

Pish. This is not even specific to diving. If you really want to object to this sort of behavior, I suggest you direct your ire at universities who charge tens of thousands of dollars for english and geography degrees. You want to talk about low pay with no expectation of advancement? Talk to a liberal arts alumnus working in the service industry.

But the real lesson is this: anyone who fails to research his chosen profession has no one but himself to blame.

Well said. :thumbs_up

My daughter gave up a $40,000 scholarship to be a dancer. Worked her own way through school, now she's going to law school.

Reality always wins.

Back
Top Bottom