The Other PADI problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While in general I agree that Diving Professionals are not making much income, there are examples of some LDS owners that are doing well.

I know the owners of my LDS (four of them). They drive nice vehicles, own nice homes, travel the world over diving, and seem to be doing very well. The son of two of the owners runs the Service Center, so not only is this paying the bills of the two couple that own the shop, it's allowed them to employ their son as well.

I also know that the owners of the UW Phantasea's south location are doing well. I don't know them, but one of my friends did certify there and does. Not only do they make a reasonable living doing this, they have invested in property, and a dive OP half way around the world, so they seem to be doing well financially.

Obviously Larry and Scubatoys are doing well.

The boat captains on the Operations I dove with may complain about finances, but most have been around for a long time, and they enjoy their work from what I can tell.

Mike Ball was so broke when he landed (car broke down) where he did in Austrailia the he could basically not afford to leave town. Now he owns a fleet of live aboards.

So let's not pretend that there is zero money to be made in this industry. However I agree that one should go into it with eyes open.

catherine96821:
Here in Hawaii, it is very expensive to live. Its NOT Mexico or a third world place. The industry is very cut throat here and the politics can be harsh.

HA...come live in Cozumel for a few months and tell me how cheap it is. I lived in Oahu for almost a year back in the 90's so I am fully aware of the living expenses in both places...plus counting inflation. We are also on a resort island and living expenses are NOT cheap...

We also have 100 +/- dive shops on the island on any given day...in one little small town.

As far as PADI dive shops not paying their people and using them as "slave labor" that is NOT unique to PADI shops...it's the industry in general.

As someone else said, not going into ANY career with yor eyes open is no ones fault but your own. There is a plethora of information out there about being a dive professional...no no sympathy from me. I knew what I was going into when I have up my cushy job and lifestyle to be a divebum :)

RonFrank:
.....So let's not pretend that there is zero money to be made in this industry. However I agree that one should go into it with eyes open.

Well said Ron! And everyone also needs to remember that it IS a business...just like any other...the owners have to watch the bottom line or there won't be one! Many people pretend to know and/or understand the costs involved in operating an LDS or a Charter service when clearly they don't have a clue. These are the same people that think everything is marked up too high and think they are being ripped off.

First of all:

NEVER

work for anyone for no money. I am a working Divemaster, I own my own boat, rentals, and I make a good living.

The employees at my local dive shop make between $18,000 and $42,000. I would say that four of them make $40-$42,000...maybe two make $30,000ish. The rest are in that $18,000-$25,000. Of course this is based on them working 40hrs/week, 52 weeks/yr. The company provides an outstanding health insurance plan, profit sharing and retirement plans. This is a special company. Too bad that most in the industry don't have the commitment and/or the means to do this. It is extremely hard to make any money in the dive business.

Another problem is how many dive shops treat their staff as independant contractors...when, in many cases they are not. I am not saying in ALL cases...but the dive centers in my particular area are, for the most part, doing this. It makes it harder for the dive centers who actually put in the tremendous effort and expense to do things legally.

First let me say, I am sure it is not just PADI shops that might take advantage of staff because of tight margins and fierce rivalry. -- I do know that PADI has advertising that targets the idea of diving as a career, perhaps the other certifying agencies do to.

Second -- As for Christi you are who I was thinking of when I said it is fine if you go into this “with eyes wide open” . . . “for the love of diving”. If you read around on the Scuba board you hear lots of stories of Christi going way out of her way for her clients, and admire her ditching what no doubt was a successful law practice.

Finally -- I want to come work for Cuddlefish, or at least dive with her operation, I admire people who reward the staff and can make a good living in diving too. I bet that means she keeps her rental gear in top condition too.

bmaber:
Second -- As for Christi you are who I was thinking of when I said it is fine if you go into this “with eyes wide open” . . . “for the love of diving”. If you read around on the Scuba board you hear lots of stories of Christi going way out of her way for her clients, and admire her ditching what no doubt was a successful law practice.

Just to clarify, I did not have a law practice :) I was a Paralegal/Legal Assistant for 12 years...I did the same work as an associate, but I "ditched" law school to do what I do...and I don't look back :)

so do you think it costs as much to live there?...just wondering. Look, I know the competition has got to be brutal there. Rent has to be less, no? labor, fuel, just asking.

Seems you have a great reputation, BTW, the comments people have made about your operation.

It depends where you live; if you want to live high on the hog, that one is going to cost you wherever you are. However, I had a nice 1BR apartment in Cozumel for 6 months about 2 years ago that cost me $250/month, and it was nice, clean and furnished, and had all the required working parts - I was going down every month or so for that time frame, so it was cheaper than a hotel anyway, plus I let people I know stay there when I was not there. Also, no one is going to claim it costs as much to live in Mexico (Cozumel or anywhere else) as it does to live in LA or San Francisco.

Back to the subject: very few people ever got rich diving, but getting rich is not supposed to be the point of it (as I understand it). However, people should be paid for a job well done, and those that do the job well will and should be compensated for it...some dive operators are responsible employers. Others are not, and are usually the ones complaining why they cannot find good help because people quit every two months, and it becomes a downward spiral of employment failure. It is certainly a tough business, and no one is going to deny that.

CN

This has nothing to do with PADI, NAUI, SSI, PSA, SDI,YMCA, NASE, MASDS, CMAS, ACUC, etc, etc, etc.. In fact this is the instructors and DM fault for letting this kind of treatment continue or even for letting it get started. This the industry's fault not the teaching agencies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom