The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this what you are missing?
It may well be. I just have to add that I'm no more used to the drone of vuvuzelas than anyone else. I'm a big fan of soccer but mostly watch European soccer. The blowing of vuvuzelas is very much a South African domestic soccer phenomenon and I don't think I have ever watched a domestic game, odd as it may sound.

So basically it was just as unfamiliar an experience to me as anyone else but I guess I was swooped up in the whole World Cup fever here so I embraced it.

I think soccer is losing potential fans when the new viewers don't get past the first hurdle - the horns.
In the USA alone viewership rose by 40% compared to the 2006 World Cup. All the stats and figures can boggle the mind but it is clear that this World Cup was seen by more people than any sporting event before it.

But you make good points and you're probably correct in that soccer still lost a sizable number of potential fans. I just still don't understand what the difference is between the drone of vuvuzelas and the whine of F1 engines.

I just still don't understand what the difference is between the drone of vuvuzelas and the whine of F1 engines.

Because the F1 engine makes the vehicle move, and is necessary.

The vuvuzelas are NOT necessary to the sport. Is their purpose to add to the sport, or to distract?

Because the F1 engine makes the vehicle move, and is necessary.

The vuvuzelas are NOT necessary to the sport. Is their purpose to add to the sport, or to distract?

Exactly, when I turned on the first game I couldn't for the life of me determine what that annoying, constant drone was. How the hell can you even focus on the game when you're blowing a horn the whole time? I used to think the wave was the most annoying sports phenomenon but I have been proven wrong. Vuvuzelas blow.

For the "visitor" (new TV viewer) it is obvious, and distracting. For many, it detracted from watching the sport.

I think soccer is losing potential fans when the new viewers don't get past the first hurdle - the horns.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head.

In the USA alone viewership rose by 40% compared to the 2006 World Cup. All the stats and figures can boggle the mind but it is clear that this World Cup was seen by more people than any sporting event before it.

You're right on that more people watched it than ever... but think of how many more would have watched it if those damn horns were quieter. I think it would have tripled, easily.

while a 40% increase in the USA is a huge increase over the last world cup, I'd bet that still only 1-5% of the US population watched it.

according to ESPN numbers, 3.261 million viewers on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC on average across the 64 match series. so less than 1% of the US population.

This final match did draw 24.3 million views on all the US networks that carried it.

so still pretty impressive

Well at least the guys poorly faking injuries were fun to watch, I'll give you that.

Yeah look, I'd be stupid to try to convince you that the vuvuzelas aren't as bad if they annoyed you. To each his own. I might not understand your gripe but it doesn't make your opinions any less valid.

Similarly, if you don't like soccer, then you don't like soccer. I'd be silly to try to convince you otherwise. Soccer has proven over the years to be the most popular sport in the world but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it. You do or you don't.

What I do agree with you on is that the diving and feigning of injuries is utterly ridiculous. If they could change ONE thing about soccer, that's the one that'd get my vote.

haha right, even on TV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom