The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talking about football....!

I have a question: Why is football played for 45 minutes in each half?
Those who thought of this must have lots of time.

Why do people play football for 45 minutes, not 30 minutes or 1 hour? Even the sports scientist and some of the senior players could not give the right answer.

In that confusing situation, one person came up with a reasonable answer.

He said......."The reason people play this game for 45 minutes is...

There are 2 teams and there are 11 players in each team. Each player brings his own "2 balls". So in total there are 44 balls. There is one ball on the ground itself. Thus the grand total is 45".

Question Answered!!!

Sometimes there is extra time of 2 mins which is the referee's balls!

Valhalla, I really don't understand what you're trying to achieve with your offensive post but commenting on the "cultural development" of another country based on the price and material of the artifacts they use is rather laughable - especially coming from someone who's got such narrow horizons that their definition of a "World Series" involves themselves and their neighbours. C'mon, if the USA was renowned for its cultural development then maybe you could comment but you seriously have no clue as to South African culture.

Respect for the cultures an enjoyment of others? Get real. You sound like a school kid who's learning to debate. I've been to three games so far and have not seen one person who's culture was suppressed or who didn't enjoy it. How many games did you attend? Even your compatriots who did actually attend the games is enjoying the vibe and embracing it.

I've spoken to too many foreign visitors in and around the stadiums who loves the noise, the excitement and the South African culture, that I just can not take your comments seriously.

So maybe we should offer to host the world's biggest sporting event and maybe you should learn to embrace it or find the friggin volume button on your TV. Or better yet, simply ignore the world cup, South Africa and our depauperate culture and go enjoy your own wealth of culture.

No, please don't visit South Africa. The visitors we have here from all over the world are the most pleasant and exciting bunch to have around. They're loving it here and they're constantly commenting on how pleasant South Africa is. With your attitude you certainly wouldn't feel at home here so please don't visit.

I have experienced two glorious trips to Cape Town in 2000 & 2006. I greatly appreciated the wonderful people and beautiful countryside.

My comments are specifically directed to the continued practice of blowing the horns without pause when it has been reported all over the world of their great annoyance to TV viewers, spectators and especially the players. I spent a fair amount of time researching Europe's thoughts on the matter which are quite timid compared to mine and my fellow countrymen. Checkout what the German's are saying if you want a spirited read.

I am quite sure increased tourism was the major reason for holding the games. Instead of feature stories about the your beautiful country, nearly every television segment presented is discussing the technical ability of the networks to drown out the noise. Smart? I think not, Boet ...

I have experienced two glorious trips to Cape Town
...blah blah...
...yadda yadda...
Smart? I think not, Boet ...
Yes whatever. Now start talking football or go away please. I don't find your attack on our "cultural development" particularly palatable and I shouldn't think many others do.

Now, to those more interested in the original reason the thread was started:

Uruguay - Korea Republic:
I'm enjoying the Uruguayan football more with every game. This was a very spirited game by both teams and you have to give the Koreans credit for an excellent performance of their own but the Uruguayans just played beautifully and claimed their rightful win.

The second goal by Suarez has to be another one of my favourites. Jeepers, it's going to be difficult to identify my top 5 at the end of the tournament but this must be a strong contender.

USA - Ghana:
The better team probably won in the end but I think the USA put on a stellar performance in all of their games. Against both England and Slovenia they had to fight back from behind and in both cases they did. The same thing happened against Ghana and they were up to the task again, well sort of. It seemed as if the players just did not have the energy to repeat the task in extra time once again.

But well done to Ghana. As an African I'm delighted they made it to the quarter finals. I think they also played a better game than they have during the group stages. They look hungry.

Germany - England:
What can I say? Despite Germany playing a most excellent brand of football and providing one of the most convincing performances in the world cup so far, this is probably not what the game will be remembered for. I am getting sick and tired now of bad refereeing at this world cup. I know referees will make mistakes but playing football is about scoring goals and disallowing perfectly good goals is QUITE SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! Seriously, we just can't have this sort of pathetic refereeing at the world cup. Please Mr. Blatter, sort this out!

Argentina - Mexico:I WAS THERE! Yeeehaaaa! It was a totally awesome game but I can offer no opinions because I really don't know who played well and who didn't. The experience in the stadium is so different from watching the game on TV.

Unfortunately I have to once again complain about the refs. Tevez's goal was clearly offside, even to someone sitting several levels up in the stands. A linesman missing that is unforgivable.

But despite the bad refereeing calls I'm still enjoying this World Cup to bits.

Love the country, hate the horns. This was too funny to pass up. Last post...promise...

YouTube - Vuvuzela - South African culture - The death of the World Cup

Oops, one more...

YouTube - TeamZoo: World Cup 2010 & Vuvuzela
Yeah that was truly hillarious:shakehead:
Three particularly bad actors trying to be funny doesn't mean it's funny but I guess if you come from a country that finds Jerry Springer entertaining then yes, it probably is funny to you. What is also funny is the absence of any reference in your video to American culture - maybe because "American culture" is an oxymoron to start with.

While your media spent 90% of its time reporting on the death of Anna Nicole Smith, half a million people were displaced by floods in Indonesia, North Korea agreed to dismantle its nuclear facilities and the IPCC released its findings of a three year study confirming man's impact on global warming. All that time, you were more obsessed with the death of Anna Nicole Smith. (Go look up Alisa Miller on TED)

So won't you just wake up and realise there is a world beyond your borders please? Not everyone does everything the same. Just like others might not find all aspects of your culture pleasant, you might not find all aspects of other cultures pleasant. Don't give me your "I love the country" rubbish when you spend your time blasting us with your own ignorant and shallow world view. You clearly don't love South Africa and we don't need you trying to pretend otherwise.

No, blowing the vuvuzela does not define South African culture. One would hope that if you've visited Cape Town twice then you should well know that. If anything the vuvuzela illustrates how South Africa is a melting pot of cultures. Football in South Africa has, for many years, been a sport followed by the oppressed working class and they brought the vuvuzela to prominence while the middle and upper classes would watch rugby or cricket (and not blow vuvuzelas). Fortunately in our country we have learned from our mistakes and are now looking beyond cultural borders. I am delighted to live in a South Africa where the cultural intolerances of the past has been defeated and I derive immense satisfaction from standing shoulder to shoulder with a black South African, both of us blowing vuvuzelas. Really, you can bitch and moan all you like, I love it and I will blow my vuvuzela twice as loud and twice as long at the next game I'm attending - specially for you.

If you don't like it, sorry for you. You've already showed your myopic cultural intolerance so I couldn't give a rat's rear if you're unhappy about the noise.

Do you mean that Tevez and the german goalkeeper are forgivable ? :D
At least as forgivable as Thiery Henry for his handball:eyebrow:

It's time to bet now :

1-Argentina
2-Brazil
3-Germany
4-Spain
Mine is very close to yours:
1-Brazil
2-Argentina
3-Spain
4-Uruguay

Just remember, you can't have Argentina AND Germany in your top 4 as they will meet each other in the quarter final after which one or the other will be eliminated.

Got up at midnight and watched Brazil v Netherlands ... Brazil appeared as though when they went a goal up they had the match in the bag, and could not believe it when The Netherlands equalised!! ... as if it was not in the script that they score a goal, even if it was an own goal from a defensive mistake.
When they went a goal down Brazil totally lost the plot ... pretty much fouling anyone :shocked:

Cant say i am disappointed to see them gone.

Back to bed for a few hours and then up at 4:30am to watch Uruguay v Ghana ... must admit that i didnt see much of the first half or either of the goals, but i thought Ghana acquitted themselves very well.

I could not imagine how Gyan felt after missing the penalty after Suarez deliberate hand ball on the goal line!
Then to lose on a penalty shootout!

I believe that what Suarez did deserved not only a red card, but to have a goal awarded as there is no way the ball was not going to be picked out of the back of the net without his hand intervening!

IMHO Rules need to be changed.

I agree. I was at the stadium and I was one of the very few people actually supporting Uruguay. After that pathetic cheat by Suarez I felt ashamed to be associated with them. One thing is for certain, we got value for our money :wink:

Brazil v Netherlands - what can I say? I was gutted. I supported Uruguay for the fun of it but I've been a Brazil supporter for as long as I can remember. Their demise yesterday was unexpected and gut wrenching. But you're quite right, once they went a goal down they did lose their rhythm and focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom