The NEW Underwater Adventures of an OLD Fart…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there 'Cudda thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Yep, my grandmother was about 80% Polish and I lived in Parma OH growing up, so that's where the 'ski comes from. Besides, it's a cool nick.

BTW, Cedar Point is STILL my #1 all time favorite park, I REALLY need to get back there...

Grand Cayman on a live aboard is in my plans during the next couple of years, I think it would be awesome. I'm also setting my sights on Truk (Thorfinn) before 2010.

As far as the "old" fart goes, that's what the girls say I am, of course I don't believe them. I'm also thinking they'll find out just how "old" I am the first time we roll off the boat into the cold blue Atlantic and hit the bottom 60 FT down. Yep, I'm looking forward to the looks on their faces then... (Dr. Evil Laugh...)

Keep the faith my friend...

I'm also setting my sights on Truk (Thorfinn) before 2010.[/QUOTE:
Drewski, I spent a week diving from the Thorfinn in 2004, so when you're ready I can give you some info. Good choice on the Thorfinn; had an awesome time diving the wrecks. If you're into history, it's almost like a religious experience diving through these ships. If I ever get my Truk/Chuuk video program put together, I'll PM you for an address and send a DVD your way.

PS My mother's maiden name was Chilinski, so I'm 100% born and raised off Lagrange St. in Toledo. My kids are mixed breeds.:lol:

OK, another update...

First off, I haven't named the LDS and instructional staff for a reason. I don't want my OPINION to influence others. Everyone has a different "style" and my previous experience as an instructor can shape how I perceive this training. So, if you know the shop, PLEASE don't name it.

That said, things are progressing. The first night of class (Monday) was the SSI "risk" video which I thought was a good approach to handling this issue. Of course, the girls snoozed through it (12 year olds don't care about risk) but they pretended to pay attention.

The instructor then started to refer to the reading homework from the book and used "fill in the blank" stuff as review. No real discussion about topics, etc. Also, no real "teaching." OK, down to the pool we went and got in MFS to "practice." We were told to swim around a bit because we were “supposed to demonstrate our swimming ability" and there was some discussion of free diving technique. 45 minutes later we were done. I ended up showing the girls most of what to do and by the end of class they were doing passable imitations of fish.

The second night (Wednesday), started by the instructor telling us next week's class nights needed to change, so instead of MWF we now will meet MTW with the certification test on Wednesday. This puts a cramp in covering the material because the girls get off the school bus by 4:30, leave for my house immediately, get to my house by 5:15 (rush hour), leave for the dive shop with me by 5:30 and get to the dive shop at 6:00 PM. So, all of our homework for next week needs to be done this weekend.

Again, the classroom "training" was a review of "fill in the blank" answers to questions in the SSI text. No presentation, video, etc. Some of the questions created discussion, but most discussion was sidebar. The topics for this session were equipment and equipment use. Following this we went on a "tour" of the store and were introduced to all of the equipment. To an extent, I had to "herd" in the girls during the tour when they got bored and became a little disruptive. 12 year olds have short attention spans.

After the "tour," the instructor started to pull rental equipment and assemble rigs. I ended up helping by switching hoses on 2 rigs that did not have compatible LP connectors. The assembly process took a good 30 minutes until we finally had everyone standing in front of their equipment. The instructor then demonstrated how to mount the BCDs and regs. Although the instructor demonstrated a good procedure for the BCDs, no detailed procedure was demonstrated for the regs. Predictably, none of the students did it right the first or second times. I helped out the girls by showing the method I used, followed by having them repeat it 3 times. The other students also took note and soon everyone had the hang of it.

Following this, we hit the pool. We did the normal equipment donning routine, buddy checks, etc. We also went over how to operate the BCD and read the SPG. We then were told to submerge and "get used to it." Shortly after, we surfaced and were told to "head to the deep end" and "be careful." That was it, no direction to "keep breathing," no “don’t hold your breath” warning, etc. Also, no mask clearing drills, lost regulator drills, mask off drills or other stuff before going down to 10'.

So, down to the deep end we went. As I thought, the girls took to it immediately, were entirely comfortable and soon were swimming all over. I helped Tyler adjust her buoyancy when we first started, but she soon got the hang of it pretty quickly. The adults in the class had more difficulty but soon everyone was comfortably on the bottom enjoying themselves. We stayed under for about an hour. I forgot how BORING swimming pools can be. The girls, however, had no such disillusionment.

Tonight (Friday) we cover diving physiology. Also, the instructor said we would start underwater "drills" and that the last session was an "intro." On the way home after the last class I asked the girls what they thought of the course. Both said they loved the class and instructor. Natascha even commented she really liked "the laid back style" the instructor was using. When I offered that maybe it was too casual, she replied that the instructor "didn't get up in her grill" like most teachers did and she liked that. Properly chastised by a 12 year old with a recent knowledge of hip-hop lingo, I drove on smiling to myself.

OK, so before I tell you my opinion of this course, what are everyone’s thoughts on this?

Just curious...

Pictures will follow…

BTW, I went boat shopping last weekend.

IMO, Topaz made one of the best offshore hulls I've ever seen for a small sized vessel. Basically, it's the Post/Egg Harbor flared "V" scaled down.

In the 20+ years I've been following the boat market, I've never seen prices as good as now and I predict that this winter they will even go lower. The Topaz I looked at is 28' long with a 10' beam. Twin 285 HP inboard with new engines, running gear, etc., including new electronics. It had a few problems, but nothing that prevents it from running. The wet test was AWESOME, that little boat cut through a 3' sloppy sea off Cape May like a hot knife through butter.

I couldn't bring myself to buy it because the work will require deck repair (bow area) and I needed to pull it from the water. I live in a condo so doing that work in my yard ain't an option. It hurt, but I didn't pull the trigger.

I'd suggest anyone looking for a good boat cheap PM me for details.

FYI...

balance:
Drewski, what's the student:instructor ratio like?

1 instructor to 4 students, NOT including me...

:wink:

Enjoy. Instruction has changed a lot in the past few years, not all of it for the better. I learned to dive in 1988, so you have me beat by a few years there. I have enjoyed reading your updates. Thanks.

Dude, you shouldn't be so down on the career decision, it sounds like you had a lot of fun, a lot more fun than a lot of money can buy ya, but I have never had a lot of money, so I guess I really don't know what I am talking about. That is cool that you are diving with your family and rediscovering it, right on bro.

Drewski:
... The instructor then started to refer to the reading homework from the book and used "fill in the blank" stuff as review. No real discussion about topics, etc. Also, no real "teaching." ... Again, the classroom "training" was a review of "fill in the blank" answers to questions in the SSI text. No presentation, video, etc. Some of the questions created discussion, but most discussion was sidebar... Although the instructor demonstrated a good procedure for the BCDs, no detailed procedure was demonstrated for the regs. Predictably, none of the students did it right the first or second times... then were told to submerge and "get used to it." Shortly after, we surfaced and were told to "head to the deep end" and "be careful." That was it, no direction to "keep breathing," no “don’t hold your breath” warning, etc. Also, no mask clearing drills, lost regulator drills, mask off drills or other stuff before going down to 10'
You are discovering the fundamental difference between the way you were taught to teach, and what passes for "teaching" in many programs today. Assuming that people watched the video (and learned from it) is advocated as teaching by many people today, and they maintain a straight face when they say it. You'll even hear course directors chide instructors for deviating from the script. The main training aids in many instructors' arsenal are DVDs, and "freedom to teach" is considered to be quaint by many. Not all instructors fall into that trap, but you'll see a lot of it. You'll also see some novel and much needed innovations with equipment.

One thing has remained constant - the UW world is still very very cool!

Drew, I'm very dispointed to read your class report. As I know the shop and instructor.

i can tell you I find it hard to get through the class room part of the course, in the time allotted, due to how much I try to cover, and explain about what the students should have read and watched. It's time comsumming, but I feel that there is a lot of stuff I can cover better than a video or book.

Give me a call sometime.

any dates on doing your openwater dives?

Back
Top Bottom