The MV ScubaBoard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the heat and mosquitoes slowing things down, you can run some simulations to prepare yourself for the joys and not-so-joys of boat ownership.
The first simulation is having a good day on the boat. Take 3 $100 bills and burn them. This completes the simulation.
The second simulation prepares you for those bad days on the boat. Take 7 $100 bills, burn them, and then holding a bowling ball over your head, drop it on one of your feet. To increase the degree of the simulation, repeat as necessary. Rotate feet as necessary.

1: Vacuum cleaner (That there is a lot of leaves)
2: Pressure washer (Duh it is dirty)
3: Screw driver (To jam into the stringers and see if it goes thru)
4: Days on end of spare time to fabricate stuff you haven't even discovered yet (The deeper you look the more you will find)
5: Three times the amount of money you are figuring at this time (That GPS might also turn into a side scan sonar)
6: Friends to help with 50% of the work needed :D

Owning a boat is a lot of fun and that looks like it has some good potential. It should do decent on fuel too. No one says you have to get there fast and getting towed home for free (Well you already paid in advance for it right?) is a great way to save on fuel expenses. I swore I would own a boat for the rest of my useful life, and plan on doing so.

FWIW I have had good luck with ATF thru the cables to free them up. Just soaked them in a flat pan curled up inside.

Reactions: Jax
Good luck pete hope to be down end of Sept. maybe I'll drop by and see if you need some help for couple ours one day.:D

1: Vacuum cleaner (That there is a lot of leaves)
2: Pressure washer (Duh it is dirty)
Yes to both of these! :D I just got a new filter at KLI for the Vac. Now to go use it. As for the rest: we'll see.

I just got a new filter at KLI for the Vac.
I wonder if they make "waterproof" filters for a wet/dry vac? This one is ruined already and they are $16/ea.

:hm: Hey, Pete; is a few hours' worth of elbow grease worth a 'lifetime' of future rides? :D

I wonder if they make "waterproof" filters for a wet/dry vac? This one is ruined already and they are $16/ea.

I think a pool skimmer and a sump pump might be the initial best bet. But there are better filters that can handle the water as well as the dry stuff. Or you can run it without a filter.

All help is welcome, but the heat is BRUTAL. It took me about 40 minutes to get the leaves out, and I am trying to get the energy up to go pressure wash it. Maybe tomorrow! :D Once its clean, it will be FAR easier to work on.

This is what needs to happen:
  1. Thorough Cleaning
  2. Deck Support
  3. Complete Rewire with New Switches and Gauges
  4. Install New Batteries
  5. Drain Old Fuel
  6. Rebuild Carburetor
  7. Install New Plexiglas Windshield.
  8. Figure out Throttle/Shift Linkage (probable rusted cables)
  9. Buy/Install Electronics (Marine Radio and GPS/Depth Finder)
  10. Find/Recover Anchor with Chain :D
  11. Test-Test-Test
  12. Buy Tow Boat USA :D

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you check out the water manifolds on it and the u-joints on the outdrive (can't remember what they call them). I've dealt with a boat in similar condition and ran into expensive repairs on those items after I thought I was making good progress and ended up scrapping it because it wasn't worth what it was going to cost to fix those issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom