The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JB, maybe Cypress if we can wedge the camera in somewhere near the entrance without it getting pushed away - LOL.

Seems like JB would be our best bet to get a cavern that has some heigth like Morrison. I am trying to remember, but doesn't it get pretty tall in JB right before where the gold line starts...where those large boulders are??

It would be nice to take some test shots in there...anyone have any free time in the next few weeks and we will plan a JB trial run? Maybe we could plan something if people have some free time around Thanksgiving. I am really anxious to test this in water.

JB, maybe Cypress if we can wedge the camera in somewhere near the entrance without it getting pushed away - LOL.

I might have some days available during Thanksgiving weekend, but would need to thumb a ride - LOL

Im sure you already have everything needed but if you all need a case for the cameras I do have a more cost effective way of getting cases for just about any camera given the manufactor makes one for it. Most are rated I think up to 180ft

Here are my two test shots. This was a totally dark hall and I stood in front of the camera to paint the walls. You can see shadows of my feet (must not have exposed those areas with enough light to make me disappear) in both pics. It is amazing that the rest of me does not show up at all.

light11.jpg

light2.jpg

...Set the camera to timer mode (3 second, or w/e is shortest) so the camera doesn't move when the shutter button is depressed. ...

I did that in my test - it's the only way to keep from having motion blur.

Yeah, pretty basic stuff really :)

I've taken lots of night shots with long exposures and it doesn't usually matter if someone walks across your frame or not :D

You want to have more fun? Setup a long exposure, get a flashlight, shine it at the camera and start drawing in the air :wink:

Looks like your test was successful. The next step would be to setup in a cavern and see how much light we need to duplicate the same process...in the water. I think Ideally we should try and use your camera and mine. Only problem is that my camera has a 15 second max shutter length. It may be a little more trouble, but we could get two shots with each attempt. I have an old alum. tripod that I am going to rig with some weights to make it a little negative in the water.

Yoda, think you could make a trip over to JB around Thanksgiving weekend sometime??

I did that in my test - it's the only way to keep from having motion blur.

I have been thinking about the pix shoot...... Since I think that the exposure question is close to a solution, or at least close enough to make adjustments and come up with a viable pix out of it.

HOW to keep the camera STILL??? I have a tripod I bought at Walmart and it gets about 4 feet high.... BUT it has a hook on the bottom of the main portion and you can anchor it to the bottom... also the independently adjustable legs help big time with setting it up on an uneven bottom, like on top of a boulder if need be..... But I don't think that wedging a camera in a crack will be still enough... might be, but I am not betting on it.

Attachments

• DSC09257.jpg
    DSC09257.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC09260.jpg
    DSC09260.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC09076.jpg
    DSC09076.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 43
... Only problem is that my camera has a 15 second max shutter length. ... Yoda, think you could make a trip over to JB around Thanksgiving weekend sometime??

It can't hurt to have more than one camera. The size of the cavern at Morrison may make good use of my 60 second exposure!

I have to work the weekend after Thanksgiving but I am off the Monday after.

We need a heavy tripod and the self timer will do the rest.

If I set my camera to fire the strobe it will give everyone the signal to start painting the walls. I'll just point it away from the backscatter.

I will probably use a closed aperture for larger depth of field. I can set the camera to manual focus at infinity or some reasonable distance above water. I need to check out the focus to infinity thing on land before taking it UW.

Back
Top Bottom