The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to test some things out in the back yard tonight also. Think I will try to light up the fence out in the back yard...similar to highlighting the cavern walls. I will see what my camera will allow me to do.

Let me know your results Yoda.

I just did a little testing (dim light) and I see some noise at 60 second shutter. I believe the noise can be well corrected in photoshop so I think we can use the full 60 seconds if we need to.

I'll be testing more tonight after church when it gets dark. I'll probably use my dive light for some of the tests.

My E-330 will do 60 seconds or bulb for the shutter.

How do we keep the walls painted without getting divers in the shot multiple times?
Do we work from close to the camera (start at the edge of the frame) and paint toward the center of the shot (farthest point from the camera) leaving the divers always in the dark?

I'll be doing some dry testing to see how this works too.

As long as we don't shine light on the divers, they won't show up on the final picture. Especially if they keep moving. Worst case, you see black silloettes where the divers are if they flash the cavern on the opposite side of them, facing away from the camera. Gives a sense of size and distance to the cavern there by having that kinda thing though.

Here is proof of the theory. I took a number of test shots in the backyard a few minutes ago. Tried to point the camera down so I wouldn't get to much ambient light from the lights above the fence. My camera will only do a 15 second shutter speed. This is with the camera on my tripod and the camera set at 15 second speed.

This first picture I was standing behind the lens and pushed the shutter button. I then walked to five different locations turning my flashlight on and off and highligting the different areas.

Backyard15second.jpg

Picture #2 is a 15 second shutter speed. There are 7 different light positions I shined on this one. I was behind the lens when initally pushing the shutter button. I walked in front of the lenses to turn the light on and off at each location. I need to test doing this with the flash off. I don't think we want the foreground flooded with light. I know that water will change a LOT of the dynamics of the shot....but I think if we can get the lights situated properly and in sync, we can make this work.

Any thoughts????

Backyard2.jpg

As long as we don't shine light on the divers, they won't show up on the final picture. Especially if they keep moving. Worst case, you see black silloettes where the divers are if they flash the cavern on the opposite side of them, facing away from the camera. Gives a sense of size and distance to the cavern there by having that kinda thing though.

Interesting idea here folks.

Just a couple thoughts:

Set the camera to timer mode (3 second, or w/e is shortest) so the camera doesn't move when the shutter button is depressed.

Set the camera to "spot focus" (assuming it has this setting) and have a diver spot light the opposite side of the cavern, so the camera will have something to focus on. Otherwise itll focus on who knows what.

Goodluck with this project! :)

Any thoughts????

My only thought is to keep the onboard flash operation, if its an option in the housing. Nothing wrong with having the forground lit up too. Gives us some spacial awareness and adds to the size of the room :)

OUTSTANDING!!!!! That is what I was referring to....and it WORKED!!! I was surprised not to see a ghost shadow of you some were but I couldn't find on..... Nice Work. :D!!!

I do believe that the water will add additional challenges like those particle specks that love to get in our pix all the time...

Since your pix came out so well I wonder if it could be done with one person and keeping their light illuminated while swimming around the cavern.

GREAT job!!!

These were taken with the flash off. The first one I stood to the left of frame and shined toward the fence. In the last one I just kind of slowly painted the whole area with my pistol grip light. I really think this is doable if we can do some practice shots with the flashes and lights. Hunster, the size of the cavern and the amount of area we will need to paint with lights, will make it necessary to have a couple of people in the cavern with lights I am sure.

Bugman, I agree that having the flash on may give a better perspective to the shot.

Fish Food, I did the spot focus on all the shots. I shined the light on the back of the fence before fully depressing the shutter.

So, Yoda/Bugman...where can we go to test this theory out underwater before Morrison opens? Most caverns nearby are pretty small compared to Morrison. Maybe if we did Vortex at night, set the camera at the bottom of the hole facing toward the cavern...we could get some depth and try it there??? Any ideas on where we could do a few test dives and test shots???

backyard4.jpg

backyard3noflash.jpg

What a TEST!!! It's VERY promising. I have Photoshop to play with. I think that you have hit the nail on the head..... you will need to test out several shot options and play with several settings.

I also think that several of your land (air) tests will provide different results under water... but the light and exposure tests seem to be a HIT!!!

Sounds like your in there for setting the lighting!! Looks good!!!

So, Yoda/Bugman...where can we go to test this theory out underwater before Morrison opens? Most caverns nearby are pretty small compared to Morrison. Maybe if we did Vortex at night, set the camera at the bottom of the hole facing toward the cavern...we could get some depth and try it there??? Any ideas on where we could do a few test dives and test shots???

This could easily be test in JB's cavern. I may just play around with this next time I'm there. I'll have to see what my camera can do as far as the shutter speed.

Back
Top Bottom