the long thread: drysuit overhaul xcd2 with photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm replacing the zipper with a ti zip. Right now looking at gluing it in with mcnett seal cement and going over the edges with aquaseal.
I would recommend a stronger bond more like PB-300, DAP something or another, or DRIS Dive Gear Drysuit Glue | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Also mix the Aquaseal with Cotol so it dries quicker. Otherwise it will run everywhere. DRIS also sells Cotol and it should be available at most any dive shop along with other places that sell Aquaseal.

Progress report: got most of the zipper out cleanly but the end are giving me issues. At one end I'm going to have to glue over the old zipper flap.
What is the issue with getting the remainder of the zipper out? I would put in the effort to completely remove it.

As to the removing the Aquaseal, I typically just leave it in place, and use it as a template, but rough it up with sandpaper a little in order to get the new glue to stick.

Agree with Peter_C that you should use another type of glue. Seal cement is better for bonding neoprene. Personally I used bostik ne486 when I installed a tizip in my old drysuit, and it held up just fine.

No work done tonight. Friends and beer took over. The zipper is completely off. I do have to glue a small patch of the flap back together. Aquaseal is roughed up. Ordering a can of pb300 so will start working on the boots tomorrow.

Pulled the attached booties off the suit today. Not much to it, simply pulled the fabric tape off and then made a small hole in the seam. A little bit of pulling and easy peasy off it came. Now, just have to find the right size bottle to fit inside the leg and new boot. It'll be interesting gluing it on since the suit is compressed and the boot is not (5mm or so?). Definitely an angled cut is called for. Right now I'm leaning on having the angle on the boot slanting inwards since it's OD is >> than that of the leg. I forsee lots of glue, aquaseal and some good ol' taping to make it look good. Any thoughts on whether I can attach the tape using aquaseal as a filler/adhesive or would it be better to just have the tape glued straight to the seam (external) with no filler? Pics tomorrow hopefully after I pick up a 2L bottle of soda.

Photos to come, but both boots are on the suit. Glued and tapped. I did screw up by not shortening the legs before gluing so it's a little uncomfortable but I'll try a dive before I aquaseal the inside. Should be getting my DRIS glue for the seals and zipper today or tomorrow so those will go on this week.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 06:13 AM ----------

Some thoughts on neoprene gluing: don't be afraid to really trim back things that are going to be glued. The contact cement will fill some small gaps between the two pieces. By small I mean grain of rice or smaller, preferably like grain of sand size. Also, I found it much easier to put both the leg and boot on the bottle before applying any glue layers. Additionally, it was best if I pushed the two pieces together in the way they would fit and then rolled the bout edge back on itself. This allowed for full layers of glue without either struggling to put it on the bottle after (horrible idea btw, from experience) and avoids premature gluing. If you're worried about gluing the rolled edge to itself then putdown some plastic bag strips or possibly packing tape (will try and report back).

When applying the tape (DRIS drysuit tape, non adhesive) I cut the ends to be rounded since that's what I read. Didn't have any problems gluing it with the mcnetts seal cement like usual but did have a slight problem getting the ends to stay down. Tossed some extra glue on there and tried to apply pressure. The problem was I stretched the tape a little when applying which I recommend but the elasticity was pulling the end up. So far so good though and will leak test later this week.

Unfortunately the DRIS glue didn't come last night.

Back
Top Bottom