The Lake Lanier Looney Bird Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm solid. The 14th is excellent!

I'm sure I could make this trip, but if some of the other loonies want to get on the trip I could always skip it and just wait for the next one.

Matt

OK, I am going to try this thing. (Lanier)

It should be interesting with only a 3mm plus 5mm hooded vest.

When is the next outing? Also, where is a decent place to get a VIP for a steel HP tank?

Adder, you really, really DON"T WANT TO DO THAT !! ! ! ! !

Love to have you dive with us, but we would prefer that you maintain a cherry pink complexion, not a Smurf blue one . . . .

Water temp will be somewhere around 45 degrees at the surface and about 43 at depth.

You can get your tank VIP'd at Divers Supply. Take the Northcrest/Pleasantdale access road off I-85 north.

As much as I would like you to come join us for some diving adder, I wouldn't even think about diving in that combination. I dive in a 7mm semi-dry and can tell it's cold as heck when I stop finning. I am seriously contemplating a dry suit, but think I may not be able to afford it at the moment. I can't wait till lanier warms up this summer.. :) Will be nice to do some shallow dives in not so much neoprene.

Matt

adder70:
OK, I am going to try this thing. (Lanier)

It should be interesting with only a 3mm plus 5mm hooded vest.

When is the next outing? Also, where is a decent place to get a VIP for a steel HP tank?

Adder, we would love to have you out at Lanier but get some exposure protection. I guess I'm one of the ones that say let me try this or that and I dove Lanier a few weeks ago with a Xcel 1.5mm under a 3mm. I will NEVER do that again. It took about 2 days to warm up after that dive. I've dove with various 5mm's with things under it and such but still got cold.
I will not be diving Lanier again until I get a semi-dry suit or some serious coverage, ie. Layerd FJ at 6.5mm each.

Also get some thick gloves. I have 5mm and my fingers freeze to the point that I cant feel them during the dive.

Get some thick neoprene and come out with us.
Remember YMMV with a 3mm etc but not by much!

Jeremy

Dude you will have major shrinkage in a 3mm, better tie a string to it :eyebrow:

I dive with a 3mm FJ, 3mm hooded vest and then a 5mm full suit and 5mm gloves. I am usually good for about 40 minutes in this attire but my hands do get cold by the end of the dive

Would love to have you join us sometime but either wait till warmer weather or get more neoprene

OK, I guess I will wait until it's mid 50's or so. I have done that before, and I was cold for while but warmed up eventually. (I think my gloves are 3mm, but they were sufferable.) Maybe for next fall I will entertain thoughts of a drysuit. Anybody have a clue when mid 50's temps get here?

I guess you could say Diver's supply is convenient for me. When traffic is bad, I hop directly to the access road (from 285 westbound) at the junction and go Best Friend road north. I guess I just go straight across Northcrest and look for DS on the right?

adder70:
I guess you could say Diver's supply is convenient for me. When traffic is bad, I hop directly to the access road (from 285 westbound) at the junction and go Best Friend road north. I guess I just go straight across Northcrest and look for DS on the right?

Not sure about temp warming up but I would guess it would not be until we start getting some major warm weather, probably mid April/May.

Divers Supply is just across Northcrest on the access road next to Carithers Wallace Courtenay office supplies, if you get to Pleasantdale you missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom