The Joys of Diving and Why I dive DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was one of those dives that I can only describe as "Pure Joy."

It wasn't deep, it wasn't even rough and the viz clear. Effortlessly gliding thru water, at one with our marine environment.

Then I realized this is why I took Fundies and Tech 1 and will continue with my training with GUE. All the dives practicing skills, drills, teamwork, awareness for culminated to a joy of diving that for me was not possible with my previous skills.

To be where you want to be at the depth where you want to be and be able to be perfectly still. When I was doing this video, there were times when I had no attention on trim or buoyancy and was able to hover motionless, what a joy!

I hope this video exemplifies the experience. This is why I dive.

YouTube - Zen and the Art of Diving...in Krill

Site: Whaler's Cove, Middle Reef, Coal Chute Caverns
75 minutes, 49 feet, 52 degrees, visibility around 30 feet in the cove.

Very nice start for my day. What's the soundtrack?

I think it's Ty Burhoe.
Invocation-Shiri

Nice video, as always DW. Thanks.

Lovely video! I'm with you; the ability to just "hang" in the water and breathe, or go precisely where I want to go, is a HUGE part of the joy of diving for me. And looking over and seeing my teammates, equally comfortable and graceful and reliable, and sharing that Zen experience with them, is the rest of it.

Yes, that is Ty Burhoe.
Invocation-Shiri

Yes, I'm sure that is a major reason why we dive this way. And having a reliable buddy system is a crucial element to this too.

Nice vid Doc! We had a similar "this is why I dive this way" moment today too. We were coming up on deco and the viz wasnt to great for hawaii, there was a good bit of particulates in the water. When we rose up to twenty we came out of the algae particulate and into clear blue water. It was like coming out of the clouds when you take a flight somewhere. The algae formed a perfect 'cline and looked like greenish blue clouds with clear sky above.

Going through all the classes and training dives is what gives us the chance to really enjoy moments like these. No struggling with buoyancy, or worrying about your buddy, just stop and take it all in. Good times :)

Nice vid Doc! We had a similar "this is why I dive this way" moment today too. We were coming up on deco and the viz wasnt to great for hawaii, there was a good bit of particulates in the water. When we rose up to twenty we came out of the algae particulate and into clear blue water. It was like coming out of the clouds when you take a flight somewhere. The algae formed a perfect 'cline and looked like greenish blue clouds with clear sky above.

Going through all the classes and training dives is what gives us the chance to really enjoy moments like these. No struggling with buoyancy, or worrying about your buddy, just stop and take it all in. Good times :)

very very nice! i wish I was there, with my video camera! :cheers:

Great video.......makes me wanna dive so badly........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom